Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hotel FX shenanigans? (No, hotels added erroneous charges after check-out)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2019, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, UA

Just back from a week in Europe. All the restaurants charged me in Euros, and the charges hit my Chase Sapphire Reserve at 1.14 Euros to the USD, a reasonable rate. Two hotels - a BW and a Sheraton - offered me a choice of being charged in Euros or Dollars. I chose Euros, assuming the credit card would give a better exchange rate than the hotels. But the charges hit my card at 1.45 Euros to the USD - a 30% surcharge.

Is this a Chase problem or just a sneaky way for hotels to get their FX surcharge?
Old Oct 26, 2019, 12:43 pm

Something went wrong; I’ve never heard of FX rates that extreme. I’d check all the receipts and bills carefully, look at what Chase is reporting, and file a complaint with whoever looks wrong.

If the hotels submitted a Euro-denominated charge in the right value and Chase converted it wrong, that’s on Chase But honestly my guess is that the hotels put in larger numbers than you think they should have, either as an error or perhaps due to taxes over a straight rack rate?
Old Oct 26, 2019, 12:52 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jg70124
.... Two hotels - a BW and a Sheraton - offered me a choice of being charged in Euros or Dollars. I chose Euros, assuming the credit card would give a better exchange rate than the hotels. But the charges hit my card at 1.45 Euros to the USD - a 30% surcharge.
Are you looking at pending charges?
Old Oct 26, 2019, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Are you looking at pending charges?
Nope, they cleared already.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 2:51 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by jg70124
Nope, they cleared already.
Not trying to state the obvious, but if the charges on the receipts are in Euro, then that's what Chase is supposed to use to convert to USD. It shouldn't be too difficult figure out where the errors are if any. I have a feeling it's the hotels/merchants that did something. I once clearly indicated that a charge should be in a foreign currency at the time of transaction (in person and I had receipt as proof), but it was submitted to my credit card issuer (wasn't Chase) as an USD charge with poor conversion rate. One call to my credit card issuer and it was resolved in my favor. I didn't even need to submit a copy of my receipt (granted it wasn't a large amount).

LAX

Last edited by LAX; Oct 26, 2019 at 3:13 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Oct 27, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
If your hotel bill was €100 and the hotel charged your credit card more than €100, then it’s on the hotel (and it’s a far more strong word than “sneaky”, with an easy chargeback to resolve it all). If your hotel bill was €100 and the hotel charged your credit card €100 but it was converted to $145, then it’s on your credit card company

Call your credit card company and ask what happened
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Closing the loop - both mistakes by the hotels. In one case, they put one night of a colleague's stay on my card, but not on my receipt. In the other, it was a dining charge meant for another room.
mia, Happy and Diplomatico like this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 9:40 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of DCC moved:

Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.