Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Freedom 2019 Q2 categories: Grocery and Home Improvement stores

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Examples of qualifying merchants in each category are here:

https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom-credit-cards/merchants
Print Wikipost

Chase Freedom 2019 Q2 categories: Grocery and Home Improvement stores

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by serpens
While that is usually possible, it shouldn't be necessary. Since Chase has declined a bonus because the merchant had an ineligible category code, it would make sense for Chase to provide the category codes that qualify for the bonus, especially in a case where no merchant category code matches the announced bonus group.
Yes, you are overthinking this. The home improvement bonus group works just fine.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:43 am
RNE

Originally Posted by serpens
While that is usually possible, it shouldn't be necessary. Since Chase has declined a bonus because the merchant had an ineligible category code, it would make sense for Chase to provide the category codes that qualify for the bonus, especially in a case where no merchant category code matches the announced bonus group.
I don't deal in shoulds and shouldn'ts. My prudent advice stands.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:48 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Examples of Home Improvement Stores
HOME DEPOT
MENARDS
LOWES
ACE HARDWARE
SHERWIN WILLIAMS
HARBOR FREIGHT TOOLS
PC RICHARD & SON
TRUE VALUE
LUMBER LIQUIDATORS
BUILD.COM
PROBUILD
RURAL KING SUPPLY
ORCHARD SUPPLY HARDWARE
PRO SOURCE WHOLESALE
NORTHERN TOOL EQUIP
https://creditcards.chase.com/freedo...ards/merchants
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by 2RETIREDTRAVELERS
It shows Target and Walmart excluded from grocery. Strange that Chase does this as many Walmarts have a Chase bank inside. (my local WM included)
I wonder about this. Has anybody ever noticed that pretty much all shopping portals exclude "Walmart Grocery" from the regular Walmart shopping category? It makes me wonder if it somehow codes different. It also has a different website. I just recently bought groceries through the "Walmart Grocery" website to take advantage of a 10% off Chase offer and it shows grocery on my recent activity on my account. I also purchased some merchandise through the regular Walmart site and my recent activity shows walmart.com. So Chase does consider the two as different things. Obvious grocery purchases made directly at the store won't work but I wonder if purchases made through "Walmart grocery" would. I doubt it will but I may make a small purchase next month just to experiment.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:27 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thank you, mia. That clears it up.

The link includes examples of grocery stores and exclusions from grocery stores and home improvement stores. I was amused to read the following.

Grocery stores, not including Walmart® and Target® purchases, exclusions:
[...]
Stores that sell a variety of merchandise, including foot items
[...]
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:45 am
mia

Side discussion of using Freedom VISA (via Chase Pay) at Smith's (a Kroger brand which has announced that it will no longer accept VISA credit cards), has been separated:

Freedom VISA or Chase Pay acceptance at Smith's (Kroger)
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:52 am
mia

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
... Chase does consider the two as different things
I believe it means that Walmart has created a separate merchant account for Walmart Grocery, and registered it with VISA (not with Chase) in a different classification.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by RNE
When in doubt, simply make a small-dollar, test purchase and see if the bonus accrues.
Like for this category when I had to make a payment for a Thruway toll online, shall see how it codes.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by mia
PC RICHARD & SON
Interesting. PC Richard sells all kinds of stuff not found at Home Depot, Ace Hardware and other places I'd consider standard "home improvement" stores (exercise bikes, car stereos, TVs, computers, cameras, mattresses...) And they have a "meet competitor's advertised price" policy. And I think they ship nationwide.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
When I try to activate my 3 cards for Q2 I get an error. Anyone else?

Last edited by rxgeek; Mar 21, 2019 at 2:51 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:02 pm

Does anyone know if Amazon Prime - Whole Foods code as groceries?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rjruiz
What is your question exactly? Amazon Prime and Whole Foods are two totally separate things.

Whole Foods in-store purchases code as groceries.

I doubt that anything Amazon would code as groceries. Amazon Prime is a subscription service that's billed through Amazon proper, so it definitely doesn't code as groceries. Amazon has a service called Amazon Prime Pantry and that's the only one I don't know how it codes (since I always buy my groceries physically at the store, or just order non-perishables on Amazon as regular online shipped orders).

Amazon Prime gets you gets you discounts on some things at Whole Foods, but those don't affect billing, they just may reduce the price you pay on some Whole Foods items. They still ring up as Whole Foods if you're buying them in-store, and thus code as groceries, whether you use the Amazon Prime discount or not.

Whole Foods hasn't changed names. They're owned by Amazon, but they're still Whole Foods (with no Amazon in the name), and they're still a grocery store.

Last edited by sdsearch; Apr 4, 2019 at 2:30 pm
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by rjruiz
This probably won't actually help answer your question,but my Prime Now orders which are picked and delivered from Whole Foods are billed as Amazon on my Citi cards.
I tend to think it may be the same for Chase.
mia likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Any idea if Ikea would count as home improvement?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
What is your question exactly? Amazon Prime and Whole Foods are two totally separate things.

Whole Foods in-store purchases code as groceries.

I doubt that anything Amazon would code as groceries. Amazon Prime is a subscription service that's billed through Amazon proper, so it definitely doesn't code as groceries. Amazon has a service called Amazon Prime Pantry and that's the only one I don't know how it codes (since I always buy my groceries physically at the store, or just order non-perishables on Amazon as regular online shipped orders).

Amazon Prime gets you gets you discounts on some things at Whole Foods, but those don't affect billing, they just may reduce the price you pay on some Whole Foods items. They still ring up as Whole Foods if you're buying them in-store, and thus code as groceries, whether you use the Amazon Prime discount or not.

Whole Foods hasn't changed names. They're owned by Amazon, but they're still Whole Foods (with no Amazon in the name), and they're still a grocery store.
What I meant was ordering Whole Foods through Amazon Prime delivery, not Pantry. Like ordering Whole Foods through Instacart delivery which that I know of codes are groceries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.