Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Freedom 2019 Q2 categories: Grocery and Home Improvement stores

Chase Freedom 2019 Q2 categories: Grocery and Home Improvement stores

    Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 16, 19, 3:49 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: mia
Wiki Link
Examples of qualifying merchants in each category are here:

https://creditcards.chase.com/freedo...ards/merchants
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Mar 16, 19, 10:09 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,877
Originally Posted by serpens View Post
While that is usually possible, it shouldn't be necessary. Since Chase has declined a bonus because the merchant had an ineligible category code, it would make sense for Chase to provide the category codes that qualify for the bonus, especially in a case where no merchant category code matches the announced bonus group.
Yes, you are overthinking this. The home improvement bonus group works just fine.
Steve in Olympia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 19, 11:43 am
  #17  
RNE
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: AKC
Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Posts: 7,882
Originally Posted by serpens View Post
While that is usually possible, it shouldn't be necessary. Since Chase has declined a bonus because the merchant had an ineligible category code, it would make sense for Chase to provide the category codes that qualify for the bonus, especially in a case where no merchant category code matches the announced bonus group.
I don't deal in shoulds and shouldn'ts. My prudent advice stands.
RNE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 19, 11:48 am
  #18  
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 37,928
Examples of Home Improvement Stores
HOME DEPOT
MENARDS
LOWES
ACE HARDWARE
SHERWIN WILLIAMS
HARBOR FREIGHT TOOLS
PC RICHARD & SON
TRUE VALUE
LUMBER LIQUIDATORS
BUILD.COM
PROBUILD
RURAL KING SUPPLY
ORCHARD SUPPLY HARDWARE
PRO SOURCE WHOLESALE
NORTHERN TOOL EQUIP
https://creditcards.chase.com/freedo...ards/merchants
mia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 19, 11:59 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: St. Louis, MO
Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Posts: 679
Originally Posted by 2RETIREDTRAVELERS View Post
It shows Target and Walmart excluded from grocery. Strange that Chase does this as many Walmarts have a Chase bank inside. (my local WM included)
I wonder about this. Has anybody ever noticed that pretty much all shopping portals exclude "Walmart Grocery" from the regular Walmart shopping category? It makes me wonder if it somehow codes different. It also has a different website. I just recently bought groceries through the "Walmart Grocery" website to take advantage of a 10% off Chase offer and it shows grocery on my recent activity on my account. I also purchased some merchandise through the regular Walmart site and my recent activity shows walmart.com. So Chase does consider the two as different things. Obvious grocery purchases made directly at the store won't work but I wonder if purchases made through "Walmart grocery" would. I doubt it will but I may make a small purchase next month just to experiment.
Critterlynn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 19, 1:27 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: flyover country
Posts: 928
Thank you, mia. That clears it up.

The link includes examples of grocery stores and exclusions from grocery stores and home improvement stores. I was amused to read the following.

Grocery stores, not including Walmart® and Target® purchases, exclusions:
[...]
Stores that sell a variety of merchandise, including foot items
[...]
serpens is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 19, 7:45 am
  #21  
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 37,928
Side discussion of using Freedom VISA (via Chase Pay) at Smith's (a Kroger brand which has announced that it will no longer accept VISA credit cards), has been separated:

Freedom VISA or Chase Pay acceptance at Smith's (Kroger)
mia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 19, 7:52 am
  #22  
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 37,928
Originally Posted by Critterlynn View Post
... Chase does consider the two as different things
I believe it means that Walmart has created a separate merchant account for Walmart Grocery, and registered it with VISA (not with Chase) in a different classification.
mia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 19, 4:27 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 264
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
When in doubt, simply make a small-dollar, test purchase and see if the bonus accrues.
Like for this category when I had to make a payment for a Thruway toll online, shall see how it codes.
Caribgrl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 19, 2:25 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HPN
Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Posts: 3,193
Originally Posted by mia View Post
PC RICHARD & SON
Interesting. PC Richard sells all kinds of stuff not found at Home Depot, Ace Hardware and other places I'd consider standard "home improvement" stores (exercise bikes, car stereos, TVs, computers, cameras, mattresses...) And they have a "meet competitor's advertised price" policy. And I think they ship nationwide.
snic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 2:50 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: CMH
Programs: IHG/Choice/Marriott Plat; Hilton Dia; Radisson Gold; Hertz Prez & other worthless status
Posts: 519
When I try to activate my 3 cards for Q2 I get an error. Anyone else?

Last edited by rxgeek; Mar 21, 19 at 2:51 pm Reason: typo
rxgeek is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 19, 2:02 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 83
Does anyone know if Amazon Prime - Whole Foods code as groceries?
rjruiz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 19, 2:25 pm
  #27  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 23,732
Originally Posted by rjruiz View Post
Does anyone know if Amazon Prime - Whole Foods code as groceries?
What is your question exactly? Amazon Prime and Whole Foods are two totally separate things.

Whole Foods in-store purchases code as groceries.

I doubt that anything Amazon would code as groceries. Amazon Prime is a subscription service that's billed through Amazon proper, so it definitely doesn't code as groceries. Amazon has a service called Amazon Prime Pantry and that's the only one I don't know how it codes (since I always buy my groceries physically at the store, or just order non-perishables on Amazon as regular online shipped orders).

Amazon Prime gets you gets you discounts on some things at Whole Foods, but those don't affect billing, they just may reduce the price you pay on some Whole Foods items. They still ring up as Whole Foods if you're buying them in-store, and thus code as groceries, whether you use the Amazon Prime discount or not.

Whole Foods hasn't changed names. They're owned by Amazon, but they're still Whole Foods (with no Amazon in the name), and they're still a grocery store.

Last edited by sdsearch; Apr 4, 19 at 2:30 pm
sdsearch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 19, 3:35 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Programs: DL Silver,UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, IHG Gold,HH Gold,MR LT PLAT PREMIER
Posts: 2,141
Originally Posted by rjruiz View Post
Does anyone know if Amazon Prime - Whole Foods code as groceries?
This probably won't actually help answer your question,but my Prime Now orders which are picked and delivered from Whole Foods are billed as Amazon on my Citi cards.
I tend to think it may be the same for Chase.
mia likes this.
freeflyin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 19, 4:38 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Paris, FR
Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA EXP, A3*G, UA *G, LH FTL, CCarlson Gold, HH Gold
Posts: 713
Any idea if Ikea would count as home improvement?
Oxymore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 19, 6:09 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 83
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
What is your question exactly? Amazon Prime and Whole Foods are two totally separate things.

Whole Foods in-store purchases code as groceries.

I doubt that anything Amazon would code as groceries. Amazon Prime is a subscription service that's billed through Amazon proper, so it definitely doesn't code as groceries. Amazon has a service called Amazon Prime Pantry and that's the only one I don't know how it codes (since I always buy my groceries physically at the store, or just order non-perishables on Amazon as regular online shipped orders).

Amazon Prime gets you gets you discounts on some things at Whole Foods, but those don't affect billing, they just may reduce the price you pay on some Whole Foods items. They still ring up as Whole Foods if you're buying them in-store, and thus code as groceries, whether you use the Amazon Prime discount or not.

Whole Foods hasn't changed names. They're owned by Amazon, but they're still Whole Foods (with no Amazon in the name), and they're still a grocery store.
What I meant was ordering Whole Foods through Amazon Prime delivery, not Pantry. Like ordering Whole Foods through Instacart delivery which that I know of codes are groceries.
rjruiz is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread