FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Chase Freedom 2019 Q2 categories: Grocery and Home Improvement stores (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1960852-chase-freedom-2019-q2-categories-grocery-home-improvement-stores.html)

2RETIREDTRAVELERS Mar 14, 2019 8:52 am

Chase Freedom 2019 Q2 categories: Grocery and Home Improvement stores

2nd Quarter 2019
GROCERY STORES
HOME IMPROVEMENT STORES

mia Mar 14, 2019 9:05 am

Grocery is a recurring category. See discussion from 2018 Q2:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...chase-pay.html

Caribgrl Mar 14, 2019 9:13 am

Still completing spending on another Chase card. But will be glad to buy some gift cards at least...

RNE Mar 14, 2019 10:12 am

Originally Posted by 2RETIREDTRAVELERS (Post 30886481)
2nd Quarter 2019
GROCERY STORES
HOME IMPROVEMENT STORES

Figures. I just purchased $5000 custom closet doors at Home Cheapo.

tmiw Mar 14, 2019 10:59 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 30886545)
Grocery is a recurring category.

No Chase Pay this time though. I wonder if they're starting to back away from that overall.

serpens Mar 14, 2019 1:42 pm

Probably I'm overthinking this, but when I use the Visa supplier locator to check the Merchant Category Code of a Lowe's Home Improvement (that's what Google Maps calls it) store, I learn that its Industry/MCC is Lumber and Building Supplies - 5200. Further, the list of industries in the supplier locator does not include Home Improvement, and the list of Merchant Category Codes does not include Home Improvement. Am I doing something wrong?

rasheed Mar 14, 2019 1:48 pm

Not really, but you should have no issue getting the credit from a major chain store like Lowe's, even if you need to have them manually adjust it in case it doesn't automatically trigger for some reason.

Grocery is reoccurring, but timely especially as Kroger tries to reduce Visa credit exposure (which is almost all of the Chase Freedom cards). I am still waiting to see if Kroger will expand its Chase Pay QR pilot for it to be a more interesting quarter.

The activation option will be here starting 3/15: https://creditcards.chase.com/freedo...cards/calendar

branman1986 Mar 14, 2019 7:59 pm

Sucks for me because I will easily max the Home Improvement on two Freedoms in a couple of weeks. Would have loved it not paired with groceries. At any rate, love not having to buy any gift cards.

krazykanuck Mar 14, 2019 9:43 pm

Good, because I'm HUNGRY for gift cards. Honestly I'd have preferred drug stores again but that wouldn't happened back to back.

restrictonthehanger Mar 15, 2019 7:35 am

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 30887032)
No Chase Pay this time though. I wonder if they're starting to back away from that overall.

Maybe they wanted to promote their own app in the past, now there is almost no use for it with the current Samsung Pay integration.

2RETIREDTRAVELERS Mar 15, 2019 10:45 am

It shows Target and Walmart excluded from grocery. Strange that Chase does this as many Walmarts have a Chase bank inside. (my local WM included)

RNE Mar 16, 2019 7:22 am

Originally Posted by serpens (Post 30887625)
Probably I'm overthinking this, but when I use the Visa supplier locator to check the Merchant Category Code of a Lowe's Home Improvement (that's what Google Maps calls it) store, I learn that its Industry/MCC is Lumber and Building Supplies - 5200. Further, the list of industries in the supplier locator does not include Home Improvement, and the list of Merchant Category Codes does not include Home Improvement. Am I doing something wrong?

When in doubt, simply make a small-dollar, test purchase and see if the bonus accrues.

RNE, a fount of knowledge.

Tenesmus83 Mar 16, 2019 9:50 am

Home improvement category doesn't apply to home furnishing correct? It doesn't earn 5x back for furniture/electronic purchases?

Steve in Olympia Mar 16, 2019 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Tenesmus83 (Post 30894176)
Home improvement category doesn't apply to home furnishing correct? It doesn't earn 5x back for furniture/electronic purchases?

The test is not what you buy, but where you buy it.

serpens Mar 16, 2019 10:04 am

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 30893795)
When in doubt, simply make a small-dollar, test purchase and see if the bonus accrues.

While that is usually possible, it shouldn't be necessary. Since Chase has declined a bonus because the merchant had an ineligible category code, it would make sense for Chase to provide the category codes that qualify for the bonus, especially in a case where no merchant category code matches the announced bonus group.