FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Chase Freedom 2018 4th quarter 5% categories: Wholesale club, Dept store, Chase Pay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1930369-chase-freedom-2018-4th-quarter-5-categories-wholesale-club-dept-store-chase-pay.html)

nall Oct 5, 2018 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun (Post 30282004)
Anyone having luck finding useful GCs at Best Buy and Department Stores?

I checked several department stores and the only two I could find with a gift card rack were Kohls and Sears. Both had gift cards to several restaurants and fast food chains, if that's your thing.

Hm, I wonder if Walmart/Target/Amazon gift cards can be used to purchase gift cards (closed-end, not VGC) at their respective stores?

bigshooter Oct 5, 2018 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun (Post 30270909)
I just ran to Walgreen and bought a $25 Amazon GC with Chase Pay (bridged to Samsung Pay). I'll see what reward rate I get.

I used my Chase Pay (Freedom) to buy some eBay GC at ShopRite to test out. But it only allows one transaction at a time. I do not know if this is because of GC or Chase Pay....

What reward rate did you get?

RedSun Oct 5, 2018 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by bigshooter (Post 30283241)
What reward rate did you get?

5x UR.

RNE Oct 5, 2018 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by nall (Post 30282918)
I checked several department stores and the only two I could find with a gift card rack were Kohls and Sears. Both had gift cards to several restaurants and fast food chains, if that's your thing.

Of course, the problem with using the CF to buy restaurant GCs is one can get 3% using the CSR at the restaurant. That makes the CF purchase effectively 2% instead of 5% (assuming one has the CSR).

RNE, asking if you noticed Amazon, Home Depot, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc. GCs?

nall Oct 5, 2018 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 30283794)
Of course, the problem with using the CF to buy restaurant GCs is one can get 3% using the CSR at the restaurant. That makes the CF purchase effectively 2% instead of 5% (assuming one has the CSR).

RNE, asking if you noticed Amazon, Home Depot, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc. GCs?

I definitely saw Amazon and either Home Depot or Lowes, but I don't recall who had what.

Cledaybuck Oct 5, 2018 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 30270140)
Hmm. Your experience and mine indicate Chase is using transaction date rather than post date. That, to my knowledge, is a reversal. But two data points aren't conclusive, of course.

My Walgreens and gas station purchases from 9/30 all posted on 10/1 with 5x points.

rasheed Oct 6, 2018 12:20 am

The long way (Chase Pay to Pay to Samsung Pay) has worked on at least one transaction posted for me so far. This first posted transaction shows in Chase Pay as Sale - Chase Pay and on the regular chase website as 4x bonus (5x total).

Make sure the transaction says Pending - Chase Pay in the Chase Pay app immediately after you have done the charge. Without that, there is no chance. I believe it knows it is Chase Pay pending because the virtual number was used (not the physical card number) and can even link the charge with a Pay click on the Chase Pay app.

My first test was NFC (did not resort to mag strip emulation). My second test which I expect to post as 5x was also pure NFC. I probably have at least one test tomorrow that will use mag strip emulation where POS does not accept tap or contactless.

I am confident using the long way is good for 5x for this quarter. Meaning 5x on any in-store purchase where you can access the card terminal easily.

Barrios Oct 6, 2018 7:41 am

My costco.com purchase also posted as 1x

RNE Oct 6, 2018 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck (Post 30283827)
My Walgreens and gas station purchases from 9/30 all posted on 10/1 with 5x points.

More support for Chase's switch to transaction date. Thank you. We'll see how long that policy lasts because it's not like Chase is a stranger to post date requirements. Minimum spend must post by the time-limit to earn a sign-up bonus.

jep8821 Oct 6, 2018 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Barrios (Post 30285238)

I called Chase a couple of times with my costco purchase not getting the points. After I proved that a different purchase using chase pay showed with the 4th quarter bonus, they verified that its suppose to include costco.com, they escalated it while I was on the the phone and then manually credited my account the addtional points

RedSun Oct 6, 2018 9:58 am

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 30285404)
More support for Chase's switch to transaction date. Thank you. We'll see how long that policy lasts because it's not like Chase is a stranger to post date requirements. Minimum spend must post by the time-limit to earn a sign-up bonus.

Technically the sale should be always on the transaction date, since that is when the POS taking place. You can always fight about it if any reward is denied because of this. You can always have the ordering receipt to show the date.

RNE Oct 6, 2018 10:02 am

Originally Posted by RedSun (Post 30285507)
Technically the sale should be always on the transaction date.

There's no daylight between you and me on that point. :)

mroseman13 Oct 6, 2018 1:08 pm

My transactions at Safeway and a local Cafe from a few days ago finally posted and gave 5x the long way using MST!

freeflyin Oct 7, 2018 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Barrios (Post 30285238)

Mine did as well, and it was not a Chase Pay transaction, so it appears that there is a definite problem with Costco.com.

I am awaiting a SM response.

Barrios Oct 8, 2018 11:12 am

Originally Posted by freeflyin (Post 30289754)
Mine did as well, and it was not a Chase Pay transaction, so it appears that there is a definite problem with Costco.com.

I am awaiting a SM response.

Ok, my account got credited with missing points. It took a SM to Chase though. Obviously, the system is not automatic.