FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Chase Freedom 2018 4th quarter 5% categories: Wholesale club, Dept store, Chase Pay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1930369-chase-freedom-2018-4th-quarter-5-categories-wholesale-club-dept-store-chase-pay.html)

RedSun Sep 13, 2018 8:07 am

Chase Freedom 2018 4th quarter 5% categories: Wholesale club, Dept store, Chase Pay

The wholesale club is duplicate with Discover. The Chase Pay can be put to good use. Its merchants are still limited.

List of Chase Pay merchants:
https://www.chase.com/content/chase-...y/where-to-pay

The good ones are 76, Conoco, Shell, Best Buy, Shoprite, Walmart and Starbucks.

Discover 4th Quarter: Amazon + wholesale clubs
Citi Dividend: Best Buy + department stores.

A lot of overlap in the 4th quarter.

RNE Sep 13, 2018 9:36 am

I'm underwhelmed.

Noctilum Sep 13, 2018 10:10 am

Exactly what I thought it would be. I guess I'll finally try Chase Pay. Can you use Chase Pay on self-checks at Walmart? I'm going to just buy $1500 in various gift cards and be done with it. Man, this is three quarters in a row now I have bought $1500 in gift cards.

tmiw Sep 13, 2018 11:07 am

I want them to bring back the general mobile wallet bonus. Then again, Chase probably would rather people use Chase Pay than any of the others.

mia Sep 13, 2018 11:17 am

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 30200054)
I want them to bring back the general mobile wallet bonus. ....

That bonus allowed Chase to see the proportion of engaged Freedom cardholders who use Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, Chase Pay. This offer allows them to judge the extent to which they can move cardholders from the competitive tools to their own. This data might be useful when trying to increase acceptance of their system.

tmiw Sep 13, 2018 11:26 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 30200099)
That bonus allowed Chase to see the proportion of engaged Freedom cardholders who use Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, Chase Pay. This offer allows them to judge the extent to which they can move cardholders from the competitive tools to their own. This data might be useful when trying to increase acceptance of their system.

I thought one other quarter this year only had Chase Pay. One would think they'd have gotten a lot of info from that run.

Anyway, there's always gift cards from Best Buy I suppose.

wripro Sep 13, 2018 12:11 pm

I assume Costco is considered a wholesale club, correct? Thanks.

vh_bu98 Sep 13, 2018 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Noctilum (Post 30199823)
Exactly what I thought it would be. I guess I'll finally try Chase Pay. Can you use Chase Pay on self-checks at Walmart? I'm going to just buy $1500 in various gift cards and be done with it. Man, this is three quarters in a row now I have bought $1500 in gift cards.

No you can not. I tried last time.

Critterlynn Sep 13, 2018 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 30200099)

it would be much more useful if Chase pay was accepted at more places and was halfway reliable. I've only used it two times and both times it resulted in my card getting shutdown for fraud concerns. both times it took a 30 minute phone call to get it all straightened out.

RedSun Sep 13, 2018 2:17 pm

Any VGCs at Department stores, like Macy's? Probably not....

RedSun Sep 13, 2018 2:29 pm

Also Citi Dividend has Best Buy + Dept store as 5% the same Q4. It is max to $6k per year, flex than the Freedom.

briang191 Sep 13, 2018 2:47 pm

Easy quarter 😎

roundtree Sep 13, 2018 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by vh_bu98 (Post 30200458)
No you can not. I tried last time.

I'm pretty sure that I used Chase Pay at Walmart self-checkouts just fine in Q1 and Q2.

vh_bu98 Sep 13, 2018 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by roundtree (Post 30200840)
I'm pretty sure that I used Chase Pay at Walmart self-checkouts just fine in Q1 and Q2.

There used to be an option for Chase Pay at the register, then they took it out. Supposedly you can add Chase Pay to Walmart Pay, but it doesn't show up as an option for me in the Walmart app. Highly frustrating.

RNE Sep 13, 2018 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by vh_bu98 (Post 30200941)
There used to be an option for Chase Pay at the register, then they took it out. Supposedly you can add Chase Pay to Walmart Pay, but it doesn't show up as an option for me in the Walmart app. Highly frustrating.

Can anybody else confirm this?

Steve in Olympia Sep 13, 2018 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by wripro (Post 30200276)
I assume Costco is considered a wholesale club, correct? Thanks.

Yes, but the value of this category is diminished by the 2 percent already provided by the Costco Citi Visa.

roundtree Sep 13, 2018 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by vh_bu98 (Post 30200941)

In fact, the latter option is how I used it. When I setup Walmart Pay, it included "Add Chase Pay" as a payment option. Just verified this is in place in the Walmart app.

vh_bu98 Sep 13, 2018 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by roundtree (Post 30201003)
In fact, the latter option is how I used it. When I setup Walmart Pay, it included "Add Chase Pay" as a payment option. Just verified this is in place in the Walmart app.

Here's a screen shot from my phone.

iOS 11.4.1
I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Walmart app and the results are the same. Chase Pay does not show up as an option. I also have the Chase Pay app and am logged into that as well. I'm in IT and I troubleshoot problems daily so I am pretty good at figuring things out. I've called Walmart tech support and they are opening up a ticket.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...8561e93001.jpg

roundtree Sep 14, 2018 5:06 am

Originally Posted by vh_bu98 (Post 30201037)
iOS 11.4.1
I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Walmart app and the results are the same. Chase Pay does not show up as an option.

That might just be a difference of the Walmart app on IOS vs Android. I hope they figure out that it's just something with your account, but I expect they'll come back and say that it's a known issue to be upgraded in a future release. :/

Here's the Walmart Pay settings on my Galaxy S9+:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...12a9471891.jpg

Caribgrl Sep 14, 2018 5:17 am

Better than 3rd Q..IMO...

RNE Sep 14, 2018 9:35 am

How does it benefit Chase to wait until a few days before a quarter begins to announce its categories? That decision was surely made long beforehand. If there is no benefit, then why does Chase do it?

RNE, or is it just to annoy me? ;)

RedSun Sep 14, 2018 10:21 am

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 30203353)
How does it benefit Chase to wait until a few days before a quarter begins to announce its categories? That decision was surely made long beforehand. If there is no benefit, then why does Chase do it?

RNE, or is it just to annoy me? ;)

It is the way it is. Does not bother me. We get a long 3 months to pay... Get your cards ready. Stop complaining. ;)

RedSun Sep 14, 2018 10:42 am

Chase Pay is fine with Walmart.com online:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...421a33281c.png

RedSun Sep 14, 2018 10:52 am

Is the Chase Pay missing here??

For iPhone Walmart app, you can add Chase Pay at end of check-out. You can't add it pre check-out.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...86443bd1c1.jpg

Super Mario Sep 14, 2018 11:06 am

Chase Pay working at Walmart is huge.

For all of the complaining, this has been the best year of Freedom rotating categories. Perfect? No.

vh_bu98 Sep 14, 2018 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun (Post 30203665)
Is the Chase Pay missing here??

For iPhone Walmart app, you can add Chase Pay at end of check-out. You can't add it pre check-out.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...86443bd1c1.jpg

I don't see a Chase Pay option on your screen.

RedSun Sep 14, 2018 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by vh_bu98 (Post 30204292)
I don't see a Chase Pay option on your screen.

I noticed it missing on the iPhone app. It is on Android app and online website...

RNE Sep 15, 2018 9:53 am

Originally Posted by RedSun (Post 30203633)
Chase Pay is fine with Walmart.com online:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...421a33281c.png

Did you actually try this? I just put an item in my Walmart.com cart and tried using the Chase Pay option. It appears to want to use my UR points to pay for the purchase! :eek:

Choose your payment method.

PAYMENT METHOD

https://secure.chasecdn.com/content/...57c02e588d.png
Chase Freedom
...XXXX

PAY WITH POINTS

You've got $0.00 (0 Points) available

You don't have enough Ultimate Rewards points to use right now. You can earn points each time you pay with your card.

Thanks for using Chase Pay. Choose “Next” to continue.

RedSun Sep 15, 2018 10:04 am

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 30206616)
Did you actually try this? I just put an item in my Walmart.com cart and tried using the Chase Pay option. It appears to want to use my UR points to pay for the purchase! :eek:

Choose your payment method.

PAYMENT METHOD

https://secure.chasecdn.com/content/...57c02e588d.png
Chase Freedom
...XXXX

PAY WITH POINTS

You've got $0.00 (0 Points) available

You don't have enough Ultimate Rewards points to use right now. You can earn points each time you pay with your card.

Thanks for using Chase Pay. Choose “Next” to continue.

Set up your default Chase Pay with card, not UR points. It is your Chase Pay setting, not the WalMart Pay.

rasheed Sep 15, 2018 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia (Post 30201000)
Yes, but the value of this category is diminished by the 2 percent already provided by the Costco Citi Visa.

Naturally, being able to use Chase Freedom Visa in-store at Costco is better than being restricted online to Discover use or having to get gift cards.

355F1 Sep 16, 2018 2:03 pm

Does Costco gas count as a warehouse club purchase?

mia Sep 16, 2018 3:05 pm

Scroll to the bottom of this page:

https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/merchants

...which suggests club store fuel only qualifies through the Chase Pay category.

RNE Sep 16, 2018 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun (Post 30206654)
Set up your default Chase Pay with card, not UR points. It is your Chase Pay setting, not the WalMart Pay.

Pay with points was set to off. Any other ideas?

EDIT: Never mind. I tried it again just now and it's working. ^

Steve in Olympia Sep 16, 2018 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by 355F1 (Post 30210487)
Does Costco gas count as a warehouse club purchase?

If you have the Citi Costco Visa, you are already getting 4 percent on gasoline (including Costco gas), so the Freedom card would not be worth using.

RedSun Sep 16, 2018 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia (Post 30211113)
If you have the Citi Costco Visa, you are already getting 4 percent on gasoline (including Costco gas), so the Freedom card would not be worth using.

.... Citi Costco is cash and UR is point, apple vs orange. You never want to compare cash vs UR 1%:1 UR...

I have the Costco Visa, but I've not put on any charges over the past two years. All Costco purchases are done with Costco Cash Cards with Discover 5% promotion (not sure Freedom ever has the 5x). All gas purchases are done with GCs when Chase and Discover offer 5x or 5%.

355F1 Sep 16, 2018 7:34 pm

I don't have a Costco VISA.

Steve in Olympia Sep 16, 2018 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun (Post 30211137)
.... Citi Costco is cash and UR is point, apple vs orange. You never want to compare cash vs UR 1%:1 UR...

Alternative rewards are not necessarily equivalent, but always relevant. Unless, of course, you simply choose to ignore them.

RedSun Sep 16, 2018 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia (Post 30211546)
Alternative rewards are not necessarily equivalent, but always relevant. Unless, of course, you simply choose to ignore them.

Not to ignore anything. But Costco gas is 4% back, or $100 -> $4. If Chase UR is worth $0.02/pt, then Freedom 5x UR gives you $100 -> $10. How can you say that "so the Freedom card would not be worth using?" I'm just puzzled how you drew the conclusion.

roundtree Sep 16, 2018 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun (Post 30211137)

I have the Costco Visa, but I've not put on any charges over the past two years. All Costco purchases are done with Costco Cash Cards with Discover 5% promotion (not sure Freedom ever has the 5x). All gas purchases are done with GCs when Chase and Discover offer 5x or 5%.

And Costco Cash cards can be used for gas fillups too...

RedSun Sep 17, 2018 5:39 am

Originally Posted by roundtree (Post 30211744)
And Costco Cash cards can be used for gas fillups too...

Yes, if there are as many Costco gas stations as Wawa, Exxon, Shell.