Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months from bonus to next application, started in Aug. 2018.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months from bonus to next application, started in Aug. 2018.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2023, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, AS 75k
Ive held the CSP now for 3 years, I understand I wont be eligible for a sign up bonus for the CSR for another year. In the mean time is there any downside to me doing a PC from the CSP to the CSR, and then in a year do a PC to a no fee card, and then open a new CSR to get the sign up bonus?
Old Nov 15, 2023, 9:14 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by barabbas90
... PC from the CSP to the CSR, and then in a year do a PC to a no fee card, and then open a new CSR to get the sign up bonus?
Not my area of expertise or experience but in case the subject matter experts here don’t reply, I believe that’s considered a safe, prudent and lucrative practice. Presumably the (only) risk is approval criteria for the CSR application in a year.
barabbas90 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 3:26 pm

Close account to get another Sapphire sign up bonus, or is upping to Reserve enough??

So... I suspect I know the answer to this, but I figured I'd check anyway.

I opened a Sapphire Reserve way back in 2017. Got my 100,000 points shortly thereafter. I've held onto that card ever since, although I did downgrade the account (kept same number) to Preferred a couple of years ago.

I'm thinking I might upgrade back to Reserve again, but I'd like to hit another signup bonus. I don't churn cards regularly, so 5/24 is not an issue for me. And it's been well over 4 years since I last received a sign up bonus. But in order to nab another sign up bonus, do I need to close my current account - and for how long - and then reapply (preferably wait for at least an 80k pt offer)? Or would upgrading from Preferred to Reserve be sufficient for the bonus?

And if I close the current account, any impact on my current Ultimate Rewards points?
Old Nov 28, 2023, 3:33 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mirak
....do I need to close my current account
To be eligible for a Sapphire bonus you cannot hold any Sapphire card. If you close Sapphire Preferred the points will expire. The solution is to downgrade Sapphire to a Freedom card. You can do this even if you already hold the same card. This will preserve the points balance. Wait four days, then apply for Reserve. Later, you can consolidate all your points into the Reserve account using the Combine Points feature.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 6:55 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
I will echo Mia's post as being the best way for you to proceed. Also note that upgrading from Sapphire Preferred to Sapphire Reserve will not earn any bonus (unless Chase is running some promo, but I have never heard of them doing such a thing).
Old Nov 29, 2023, 8:36 am

Ok thank you both! That's exactly what I needed to know. I'll downgrade to a Freedom and wait for a better offer on Sapphire.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Ok thank you both! That's exactly what I needed to know. I'll downgrade to a Freedom and wait for a better offer on Sapphire.

And if I close the current account, any impact on my current Ultimate Rewards points?
The points in your new Freedom account are not transferable to airline/hotel partners while you wait for a better offer to appear. So unless you are facing an annual fee, given the short period you only need to have no CSR/CSP (4 days per mia above) it might be better to keep the CSP until a new offer for the CSR appears.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 10:53 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
…do I need to close my current account …
Originally Posted by mia
(my underlining) To be eligible for a Sapphire bonus you cannot hold any Sapphire card. If you close Sapphire Preferred the points will expire. The solution is to downgrade Sapphire to a Freedom card. You can do this even if you already hold the same card. This will preserve the points balance. Wait four days, then apply for Reserve. Later, you can consolidate all your points into the Reserve account using the Combine Points feature.
If already holding the same card couldn’t the points more simply be combined and then close the Sapp Pref? Is there a difference in Chase’s system for recognizing a card as being closed (and CL made “available” for a new application) and/or approving a new application for an identical card when the first (original) card is PCed (product changed) vs outright closed? Thank you.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 11:05 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
....Is there a difference in Chase’s system for recognizing a card as being closed ....card is PCed (
Yes. When a card is closed there is a period during which it can be reopened, and during that period a Sapphire application would be rejected because the system will see that you already hold one, even though it is closed. When a card is product changed it takes much less time for the system to recognize that you do not hold a Sapphire card.

Substantial discussion here: Chase Product Change/Card Conversion: Downgrade, Upgrade, Keep or Cancel? (2023-)
MDtR-Chicago likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by mia
Yes. When a card is closed there is a period during which it can be reopened, and during that period a Sapphire application would be rejected because the system will see that you already hold one, even though it is closed. When a card is product changed it takes much less time for the system to recognize that you do not hold a Sapphire card…
Thank you, that’s my vague understanding, thanks for clarifying.

Is the “period during which it can be reopened” generally thought to be 30 days? For a new application during that period would it be correct to state “new application will be declined and prior account can and will (at Chase’s discretion) be reopened”?
Old Jan 18, 2024, 8:26 am

Thanks everyone for the information. So confusing! I went ahead and downgraded (converted?) from Sapphire Preferred to a Freedom Unlimited. I've just switched to a BOA Alaska Air card as my primary spender in prep for a trip to Seattle this summer (nice companion fare benefit after spending a few thousand on the card), so I barely had any spend on the Preferred when I converted. If I lose a couple hundred points for the remaining spend on the Preferred, no biggie. But they confirmed that my sizeable current UR points balance will not be impacted. Since I wasn't using the Preferred for the next couple months anyway, no point in getting hit with another $99 renewal fee. Also, I don't need to use my UR points in the next couple months, so that shouldn't be impacted, either. (Obviously tell me if I'm getting any of these assumptions wrong).

Hopefully this spring there will be another 80k point promotion on the Reserve, and I'll reapply at that time. If approved, I guess the last step would be to consolidate my points because the new Reserve would be a new account number?
Old Jan 23, 2024, 6:46 am

I realize this may be a crapshoot but does anyone have any credible info about the CSR elevating their 60k SUB, I recall it being 80k a while ago. I'm getting to a point where I need to unload points with no travel on the horizon and the Grocery/PYB is looking good again. I haven't had the CSR in a while but the grocery 3x/PYB during Covid was a thing of beauty even though now it's only 1.25 vs 1.50.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 7:45 am

Programs: United, delta, AA, Alaskan, Frontier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Chase Sapphire
When to a pply for Reserve card?

My wife down graded her Sapphire card 2 months ago after having it for 2 years. Can she now apply for the reserve card?
Old Mar 24, 2024, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by shanna135
My wife down graded her Sapphire card 2 months ago after having it for 2 years. Can she now apply for the reserve card?
By Sapphire card, you mean the CSP or CSR, right? (there is also a plain Sapphire NAF card, but you presumably can’t really downgrade that one)

I think the rule is you are not eligible if you have received a CSR/CSP SUB in the last 48 months.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 8:42 am

You cannot have any sapphire card

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.