Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Freedom 2018 3rd quarter 5% categories: Gasoline, Walgreens, Lyft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Freedom 2018 3rd quarter 5% categories: Gasoline, Walgreens, Lyft

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by snic
The only problem with this is that when you buy with Amazon credit, you lose the benefits of buying with a credit card - such as extended warranty. Of course if you buy coffee and batteries, this isn't really a concern. But for expensive electronics, I'd rather have the extended warranty. It's saved me hundreds of dollars in the past and probably will again.
If your CC has that feature and it makes sense .... but 5% cashback ( both Amazon Cards) or 8 cents (5 points times 1.8 valuation) might be better for 99% of my Amazon spend.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:08 pm

Chase Freedom Q3: My natural spend isn't going to be enough to max out the category. I spend 40-50/week on gas, some snack/drinks/etc. I don't traditionally shop at Walgreens much. I virtually never use Lyft (or uber). I'm probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 500$ spent, so ~1,000 not spent.

I don't love the idea of buying Visa gift cards.

That leaves me with
  1. Gas station Cards--I work in 1 city and live in another. There are 3 chains I typically visit at home, at work, and in between. Occasionally a 4th. I've got a trip coming up that will be ~11 or 12 hours of driving round trip, but that's still not a huge dent. I could buy Gift cards to each. The only pause is I have the Chase ink Cash, which will give 2% back on gas. The other concern is keeping up with 5 gift cards. Lose one, and you're just out the cash.
  2. Walgreens GC's: I can buy household items/groceries/etc.
3. One of the gas stations had Amazon GC's still.

Last edited by Jm192; Sep 8, 2018 at 3:19 pm
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:17 pm

I would suggest buying visa gift cards and either buying a money order if you can or get creative on how to liquitdate the gift card.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 6:24 pm

Instead of paying activation fees for Visa gift cards, just go to Walgreens and buy Amazon gift cards. Your transaction fees will be zero.
RNE likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Instead of paying activation fees for Visa gift cards, just go to Walgreens and buy Amazon gift cards. Your transaction fees will be zero.
it would take me a six months to a year maybe more to spend $500-1500 on Amazon. Some apps offer cash back for Walgreens purchases linked to credit cards.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jm192
Chase Freedom Q3: My natural spend isn't going to be enough to max out the category. I spend 40-50/week on gas, some snack/drinks/etc. I don't traditionally shop at Walgreens much. I virtually never use Lyft (or uber). I'm probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 500$ spent, so ~1,000 not spent.

I don't love the idea of buying Visa gift cards.

That leaves me with
  1. Gas station Cards--I work in 1 city and live in another. There are 3 chains I typically visit at home, at work, and in between. Occasionally a 4th. I've got a trip coming up that will be ~11 or 12 hours of driving round trip, but that's still not a huge dent. I could buy Gift cards to each. The only pause is I have the Chase ink Cash, which will give 2% back on gas. The other concern is keeping up with 5 gift cards. Lose one, and you're just out the cash.
  2. Walgreens GC's: I can buy household items/groceries/etc.
3. One of the gas stations had Amazon GC's still.
Consider that not everyone maxes out every quarter, and not everyone who doesn't max out every quarter worries about it. It's just that most of the people who don't plan to max out in a quarter don't post about it, and those who do try to max it out do post about it, which leaves a false impression that everyone is trying to max out every quarter.

Keep in mind that it's quite likely that on Sep 15 (just under a week away) Chase will announce that Amazon is 5x for Oct-Nov. If so, will Amazon GCs still work for you? I would think online gift cards are harder to "lose" (since you never have to take them out of the house) than offline gift cards for thinks like gas. But it's another thing to "forget" online gift cards because you have to wait for months before it makes sense to use them.
briang191 and Jm192 like this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:23 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Pretty much exactly what I did to meet spend (on 3 cards!).
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:27 am
RNE

Originally Posted by briang191
it would take me a six months to a year maybe more to spend $500-1500 on Amazon.
That's not a lot of time to have money on account at Amazon, but if it's too much time for you, then buy other GCs at Walgreens. This isn't rocket science.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:54 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

This was discussed many times before. One aspect is the MS. You cycle the money flow and get done with it. This is the reason folks buy certain kinds of GCs and CASH them OUT. Cash-out is the most important. Even if the profit is only 1%, it is your net gain. No residual. This is why folks use MOs and Plastiq and other MS...

The other aspect is the spend maximizing. You spend at gas station, stores and buy Amazon and other store GCs. Very likely you'll hold onto some of the store GCs for some time. This brings out the opportunity cost of using other CCs (such as Chase Amazon CC) for Amazon purchases. There are also many other CCs good for gas purchases. There is also the Chase CSR for Lyft expenses.

We need to do some simple math and get a plan....
briang191 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by RNE
That's not a lot of time to have money on account at Amazon, but if it's too much time for you, then buy other GCs at Walgreens. This isn't rocket science.
easy quarter me purchased 9 vanilla visa gift cards liquidated same day. As I stated before. I don't spend much on Amazon and to have $4500 in Amazon gift cards gas or whatever gift cards isn't smart imo but I guess to others it's worth it.
alggag and RedSun like this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:40 pm
Suspended

I only stock store or brand GCs if I really have no other ways to cycle the spending. We had 5% on wholesale spending (Chase or Discover). I did not want to buy the brand GCs. So I loaded up several $K of Costco cash cards. I knew I can spend them and all of my other cards won't get me 5% cash or 5x UR earning. I also had to stock a bunch of Southwest GCs. But 5x UR Freedom is definitely better than my 3x CSR.

I still get $1,000 Costco and $1,500 Southwest GCs. But I had more.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 3:11 pm

I just bought a $300 Amazon gift card at Walgreen's. Very simple transaction. Would Chase know it's a gift card?
RNE likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 3:28 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by trikotret
I just bought a $300 Amazon gift card at Walgreen's. Very simple transaction. Would Chase know it's a gift card?
Not sure if Chase gets that detail or not. However, I always buy a little something else with my GCs so the charge isn't a suspiciously round number. I buy a box of Kleenex or something so instead of $300 even, the charge amount is an innocuous $301.49.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Not sure if Chase gets that detail or not. However, I always buy a little something else with my GCs so the charge isn't a suspiciously round number. I buy a box of Kleenex or something so instead of $300 even, the charge amount is an innocuous $301.49.
LMAO i did the same thing. I bought copy paper so total was 304.29
Old Sep 9, 2018, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by trikotret
I do not think store or brand GCs get problems with CCs. Even the Visa and MC GCs. If stores or online sites allow you to charge, why CC company prevent you from doing it? But if someone abuses it, like charging $10,000/month to a CC with $12,000 CL, then CC companies have problem with it. They can say the card is not used as intended....

That is what I get from some stores. Some cashiers ask the manager if it is ok to use the CC to pay for the GCs. Manager says, if the transactions goes through, everything is just fine. Stores and CC companies are all in the business to make some $$.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.