Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, Cruises, Activities through Chase/Expedia portal.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
This thread covers how to use Ultimate Reward points for booking all types of travel via the Ultimate Rewards portal.

In 2018 Chase changed the outsourced booking portal operator from Connexions to Expedia. Posts from January to mid-October 2018 have been archived to a separate thread. Those posts discussed the portal as operated by Connexions, -and- the transition process to Expedia.

There is another thread to discuss booking by transferring to airline of hotel programs: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...tc-2017-a.html

Pay special attention to booking via Chase UR/Expedia with regard to rewards and benefits. Chase UR + Expedia is considered OTA (Online Travel Agency). Travelers purchase or pre-pay travel with the OTA and is subject to the T&C from the OTA. In general, travelers receive miles rewards on flights, but do not receive night credit on hotel stays. Also, in general, travelers lose the airline or hotel status and do not receive the associated benefits (free breakfast, room upgrade etc).

1) How do I book a ticket? Choose my airfare class?
Login to ultimaterewards.com
Click: Use points > Explore and Book Travel
Click the button that defaults to [1 Traveler, All]
Change "Class" (the first entry in the pull-down) from All to Business
Click: Close

2) How far in advance can I book?
In mid-November 2017 it was reported that airline reservations are available only 270 days in advance. Read HERE.

3) How do I book hotels?
Follow the steps above to log on. There are standard looking search engines offered for airfare, hotel, etc at that point.

3.5) How to book cruises?
Chase outsources this to a travel agency specializing in cruises. (I believe they are available solely by telephone.) Agents there can book cruises for you using your URs for payments from initial deposit to final payment. It's also possible to transfer an existing cruise booking to that travel agency. That agency can then make payments (full or partial). However, to transfer a booking, there are some constraints to be aware of. A) The booking and deposit has to be made directly with the cruise line. If you use another agency, you're out of luck. B) The cruise lines limit the window when you can transfer a booking from their control to an agency's. It closes as early as 30 days after initial deposit up to final deposit due date (typically 75-120 prior to sail date) depending on the particular cruise line's rules (which are subject to change).

4) How do I get the better redemption rate offered on some Chase cards?
The upper left corner of the UR page will show you which card you are logged in with. If you hold a Chase Sapphire Reserve or JPMR card, you will be shown a better price on points bookings, as a 1.5 redemption rate is offered as one of the benefits of this card. If you log in to the UR portal from a different UR card, such as the Ink, you will not be offered this rate.

4.5) How do Refunds Work?
When cancelling a booking (and a refund is due), points will be added back to your UR balance and dollars will be refunded to the credit card account used.

5) Where else can I find information?

This thread is a consolidated resource which covers topics including:

Fare buckets, here
Price differences between open market air fares and UR bookings, here
Selecting seat classes
Using cash and points to pay for tickets

and more.

The previous discussion, through 2017, can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...14-2017-a.html
Print Wikipost

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, Cruises, Activities through Chase/Expedia portal.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:28 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by mia
That's backwards. You would locate the award inventory first, then transfer.
That is precisely what I meant. Thank you.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by wanderlust99
I have looked through this thread as best I could be did not see this question (although I'm sure it's somewhere):

I tried to book multiple American Airlines tickets through UR a few minutes ago. I have enough points to cover one ticket but would need to pay cash for the others. I didn't see that option, only the "pay all cash or points" options. Am I missing something? Can this be done?
Originally Posted by g289t
I always have the option to use my available points and pay the balance. For example, if the tickets costs $700 and I have 30,000 points, I'll have the option to use the points (30,000 UR points = $450) and pay the remaining $250 with my credit card.
It took me quite a while to figure out how to actually use partial points payment. If you don't have enough points, it seems pretty good at splitting things. In my case I don't want to use all my points for this booking. Finally found it at the bottom of the "Who's traveling?" page during the booking process. I missed it the first time I scrolled down and only saw the greyed-out section asking for credit card info.

Originally Posted by UTex09
I used to be able to exclude fare class N (Basic economy) on United through the Chase portal, but appears no longer able to do that. Is there any way online to exclude these, or do I need to call in?
For those trying to avoid United Basic Economy flights, I did find that when I go further in the booking process, there is a choice to "upgrade" your flight to regular economy. You do need to select both outbound and return flights before this option comes up. (posted this for search purposes).
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:06 am

I have not used UR portal to book flight since they changed to Expedia, but so far all the hotels I booked (since switch) had been fine. I had 4 bookings since December last year. I didn't have any problem with the booking or the website. However, I didn't check against the rate on Expedia.com, but I did check the rate on the hotel's own website and it seems to be the same rate or sometime cheaper on UR portal. Even if the rate is a little cheaper on Expedia.com, I will probably still book with UR as that 1.5X modifier is huge!
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:19 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Need
....1.5X modifier is huge!
The 1.5 multiplier allows us to redeem a point that could be worth $0.02 (if transferred) for $0.015. This is huge for Chase, but not so much for us.
Happy likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by mia
The 1.5 multiplier allows us to redeem a point that could be worth $0.02 (if transferred) for $0.015. This is huge for Chase, but not so much for us.
The only way I could get $0.02 or over are by transferring to Hyatt or to miles for a business class flight ticket which I did both often. But $0.015, to me, is still pretty huge when it could be anywhere/anytime.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
I have not used UR portal to book flight since they changed to Expedia, but so far all the hotels I booked (since switch) had been fine. I had 4 bookings since December last year. I didn't have any problem with the booking or the website. However, I didn't check against the rate on Expedia.com, but I did check the rate on the hotel's own website and it seems to be the same rate or sometime cheaper on UR portal. Even if the rate is a little cheaper on Expedia.com, I will probably still book with UR as that 1.5X modifier is huge!

You're in luck in looking at three particular hotels in Venice ALL show "sold out" but if one goes to the particular chains website no problem using points. Same goes for airline but maybe as someone else pointed out Internationally is a different story domestic being easier. Before the change over it was great after it sucks
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Is there a way to use my preferred TA and still get the full 1.5-cent redemption?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:06 am
mia

Originally Posted by adambadam
Is there a way to use my preferred TA and still get the full 1.5-cent redemption?
No. The $0.015 redemption option is specifically for booking through Chase's travel portal.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by edgewood49
You're in luck in looking at three particular hotels in Venice ALL show "sold out" but if one goes to the particular chains website no problem using points. Same goes for airline but maybe as someone else pointed out Internationally is a different story domestic being easier. Before the change over it was great after it sucks
The 4 hotels I used Chase UR portal to book since December were in Netherlands, Belgium, France, and Washington DC. But I think the difference is that I didn't pick the hotel and then go to Chase portal to book it. I went to chase portal to choose a hotel from they have available. I won't even see the "sold out" hotels.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 1:28 pm

The 4 hotels I used Chase UR portal to book since December were in Netherlands, Belgium, France, and Washington DC. But I think the difference is that I didn't pick the hotel and then go to Chase portal to book it. I went to chase portal to choose a hotel from they have available. I won't even see the "sold out" hotels.
What happens if you need to cancel a stay? Points returned?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by 747FC

What happens if you need to cancel a stay? Points returned?
Assuming it is refundable and you booked on the UR portal (not transferrinf points to a partner program) then yes. You will get points and / or payment back in line with the cancellation policy (99% of the time refundable means free and full cancellation)

Last edited by restrictonthehanger; Apr 15, 2019 at 10:08 am Reason: Clarify chase points
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by restrictonthehanger
Assuming it is refundable and you booked on the UR portal (not transferrinf points to a partner program) then yes. You will get points and / or payment back in line with the cancellation policy (99% of the time refundable means free and full cancellation)
I just had this type of situation clarified by a CSR. I was told that when my points were used to purchase a fully-refundable airfare, if I cancelled, the refund would not be the points. Rather, the monetary value of the ticket paid for by the points would be refunded to my credit card account.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:08 am

I just had this type of situation clarified by a CSR. I was told that when my points were used to purchase a fully-refundable airfare, if I cancelled, the refund would not be the points. Rather, the monetary value of the ticket paid for by the points would be refunded to my credit card account.
Unless they changed the way they were doing it, that was not how it worked. The airline/hotel refund to the card that Expedia used for the flight/room. Then Chase UR refunds the points back to your account. I cancelled 3 business class tickets a while ago... I was hoping that I would get the money back (would be like cashing in my points at 1.5X). Didn't happen.. got points back after like 4 weeks.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:17 am

Unless they changed the way they were doing it, that was not how it worked. The airline/hotel refund to the card that Expedia used for the flight/room. Then Chase UR refunds the points back to your account. I cancelled 3 business class tickets a while ago... I was hoping that I would get the money back (would be like cashing in my points at 1.5X). Didn't happen.. got points back after like 4 weeks.
The difference might have something to do with who is the booking party or it could be a change of policy. This is the first time I have used the service, and I called in and spoke with an agent. The agent I spoke with worked for the JPMR Travel desk. She was very clear that any refund would not be in points, but as a credit for the monetary value to the point-redeemed fare.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:39 am
mia

.... Expedia.....
.... JPMR Travel desk....
Chase booking are outsourced to Expedia. JP Morgan booking are reportedly outsourced to another agency.

Different agencies, different policies. I wouldn't generalize from the JPM experience for Chase cardholders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.