Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, Cruises, Activities through Chase/Expedia portal.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
This thread covers how to use Ultimate Reward points for booking all types of travel via the Ultimate Rewards portal.

In 2018 Chase changed the outsourced booking portal operator from Connexions to Expedia. Posts from January to mid-October 2018 have been archived to a separate thread. Those posts discussed the portal as operated by Connexions, -and- the transition process to Expedia.

There is another thread to discuss booking by transferring to airline of hotel programs: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...tc-2017-a.html

Pay special attention to booking via Chase UR/Expedia with regard to rewards and benefits. Chase UR + Expedia is considered OTA (Online Travel Agency). Travelers purchase or pre-pay travel with the OTA and is subject to the T&C from the OTA. In general, travelers receive miles rewards on flights, but do not receive night credit on hotel stays. Also, in general, travelers lose the airline or hotel status and do not receive the associated benefits (free breakfast, room upgrade etc).

1) How do I book a ticket? Choose my airfare class?
Login to ultimaterewards.com
Click: Use points > Explore and Book Travel
Click the button that defaults to [1 Traveler, All]
Change "Class" (the first entry in the pull-down) from All to Business
Click: Close

2) How far in advance can I book?
In mid-November 2017 it was reported that airline reservations are available only 270 days in advance. Read HERE.

3) How do I book hotels?
Follow the steps above to log on. There are standard looking search engines offered for airfare, hotel, etc at that point.

3.5) How to book cruises?
Chase outsources this to a travel agency specializing in cruises. (I believe they are available solely by telephone.) Agents there can book cruises for you using your URs for payments from initial deposit to final payment. It's also possible to transfer an existing cruise booking to that travel agency. That agency can then make payments (full or partial). However, to transfer a booking, there are some constraints to be aware of. A) The booking and deposit has to be made directly with the cruise line. If you use another agency, you're out of luck. B) The cruise lines limit the window when you can transfer a booking from their control to an agency's. It closes as early as 30 days after initial deposit up to final deposit due date (typically 75-120 prior to sail date) depending on the particular cruise line's rules (which are subject to change).

4) How do I get the better redemption rate offered on some Chase cards?
The upper left corner of the UR page will show you which card you are logged in with. If you hold a Chase Sapphire Reserve or JPMR card, you will be shown a better price on points bookings, as a 1.5 redemption rate is offered as one of the benefits of this card. If you log in to the UR portal from a different UR card, such as the Ink, you will not be offered this rate.

4.5) How do Refunds Work?
When cancelling a booking (and a refund is due), points will be added back to your UR balance and dollars will be refunded to the credit card account used.

5) Where else can I find information?

This thread is a consolidated resource which covers topics including:

Fare buckets, here
Price differences between open market air fares and UR bookings, here
Selecting seat classes
Using cash and points to pay for tickets

and more.

The previous discussion, through 2017, can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...14-2017-a.html
Print Wikipost

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, Cruises, Activities through Chase/Expedia portal.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
Angry Chase Ultimate Rewards

I have experienced several problems with Chase Travel. Recently booked two cruises with them. One in Ireland and another in South Caribbean. I called several times and emailed the travel agent to cancel the Ireland cruise and send me a confirmation on both cruises.
I did write Celebrity Cruise lines to get a cancellation confirmation. I need the proof of cancellation to file for refund with my insurance claim. My wife has had many problem in and out of the hospital 4 times since January 2019 with surgery and more problems to come.
I have used Chase before but nothing like it is now. Their service really has gotten to the point I might have to seek another travel company to book our trips. We take several cruises and trip each year and cannot put up such a service. You can send emails after emails and get zero replies. Calling don't work either. I have to hold online for up to 15 minutes with no response. My card is fine but the travel dept is not helpful.
Anyone else having problems?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by rjb413
I have experienced several problems with Chase Travel. Recently booked two cruises with them. One in Ireland and another in South Caribbean. I called several times and emailed the travel agent to cancel the Ireland cruise and send me a confirmation on both cruises.
I did write Celebrity Cruise lines to get a cancellation confirmation. I need the proof of cancellation to file for refund with my insurance claim. My wife has had many problem in and out of the hospital 4 times since January 2019 with surgery and more problems to come.
I have used Chase before but nothing like it is now. Their service really has gotten to the point I might have to seek another travel company to book our trips. We take several cruises and trip each year and cannot put up such a service. You can send emails after emails and get zero replies. Calling don't work either. I have to hold online for up to 15 minutes with no response. My card is fine but the travel dept is not helpful.
Anyone else having problems?
Sorry to hear of your wife's medical condition. I hope she makes a speedy and complete recovery.

Also, welcome to Flyertalk.

Finally, while I cannot help you with your Chase question, I can suggest that in the future, you consider seeking out a more responsive travel agent. On the Cruise forum on Flyertalk, there is discussion of various member's experiences with their agents. Some of us use a particular Internet-based agency that provides very nice discounts and has good phone-service by their agents.

Once your wife recovers and you are ready to start booking again, feel free to look at the thread and/or PM me.

Again, hoping for the best for your wife.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I wanted to use CSR points for a booking for the first time. I went to the flights page and got the "whoops." I then called the number and got an agent who was very cooperative and found my preferred flights on NZ starting in AKL and finally ending in LAX after a stop on a South Pacific island. However, he stated that he could only sell me a coach ticket since there was no business class availability using the UR points. I then checked Expert Flyer, saw lots of J availability, called the number again and got the same answer.

Are these points only good for getting a coach seat to visit your grandmother in Florida? If so, that card is going in the dumpster immediately after I figure out how to use up the 300K points that have accumulated in the account.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:01 pm

Not sure what the issue is, I can go online and find many dates that you (well, I) could use CSR points for business class on NZ from AKL to LAX. Which month are you looking for?
Edit: Sorry, the availability I found is for the direct NZ flight. In searching Kayak, there is no business class available to AZ on the flight that connects in NAN. That flight is also operated by Fiji Airways and is generally half the price if booked with them. There is availability in business class if booked through Fiji Airways.

Last edited by farnorthtrader; Mar 25, 2019 at 8:19 pm
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
Not sure what the issue is, I can go online and find many dates that you (well, I) could use CSR points for business class on NZ from AKL to LAX. Which month are you looking for?...
Thanks for the quick response. If that is the case, then it is just my dates over a holiday period that caused the lack of availability on that AKL-LAX trip with a few days layover in RAR. I will try again next opportunity.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:28 pm

Most of the issues here are regarding the Travel Portal / Expedia not being able to book their flights. I encountered a different type of problem that I'd like to share.

I had a flight on KE booked via UR travel portal (with expedia) that was a 4 leg journey. I have a friend that works at KE and was able to pick seats for me ahead of check-in time. He was able to get me seats for the first and last legs, but had errors on the 2 legs inbetween. From the KE side, he was unable to see a ticket issued for those middle legs - turns out I had no ticket at all showing for those 2 legs. Because KE had a flight number change, it didn't link up on Chase's end, causing me to be dropped from those 2 legs, which boggles my mind (confirmed error on Chase's end). I called Chase and after some reluctance from the rep and explaining my situation for 45 minutes, was able to finally get the Chase rep to call KE herself. Afterwards I was transferred to Chase's ticketing department, the rep relayed my situation and Chase rebooked those 2 legs somehow on the same itinerary, my 6 digit confirmation number did not change, but I have my KE tickets now.

The scary thing is, if I had gone the conventional route, I would've checked in fine to my first leg, flew to Korea, then 5 days later I would try to check in to my 2nd leg of the trip and get completely stuck without a ticket. I would have to try to figure this out while being overseas, which is so much worse. This whole situation has ruined my trust with Chase bookings and I hope this 'blip' that dropped my tickets doesn't happen to anybody else.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:10 am

Anyone having issues searching for hotel rooms through the Chase UR portal? It just hangs on the loading window and never actually shows the hotels. Tried on both desktop and mobile.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zerosoul
Most of the issues here are regarding the Travel Portal / Expedia not being able to book their flights. I encountered a different type of problem that I'd like to share.

I had a flight on KE booked via UR travel portal (with expedia) that was a 4 leg journey. I have a friend that works at KE and was able to pick seats for me ahead of check-in time. He was able to get me seats for the first and last legs, but had errors on the 2 legs inbetween. From the KE side, he was unable to see a ticket issued for those middle legs - turns out I had no ticket at all showing for those 2 legs. Because KE had a flight number change, it didn't link up on Chase's end, causing me to be dropped from those 2 legs, which boggles my mind (confirmed error on Chase's end). I called Chase and after some reluctance from the rep and explaining my situation for 45 minutes, was able to finally get the Chase rep to call KE herself. Afterwards I was transferred to Chase's ticketing department, the rep relayed my situation and Chase rebooked those 2 legs somehow on the same itinerary, my 6 digit confirmation number did not change, but I have my KE tickets now.

The scary thing is, if I had gone the conventional route, I would've checked in fine to my first leg, flew to Korea, then 5 days later I would try to check in to my 2nd leg of the trip and get completely stuck without a ticket. I would have to try to figure this out while being overseas, which is so much worse. This whole situation has ruined my trust with Chase bookings and I hope this 'blip' that dropped my tickets doesn't happen to anybody else.
The lesson learned here is no different than doing an award booking with an airline frequent flyer program that flies on the program's partner's flights - you ALWAYS monitor your booking directly from Partner's site thru Manage Booking function using the partner airline's PNR to retrieve the reservation.

Had you had done so, you would discover the flight changes long before having your friend at KE to select seats because the moment the KE flight changes, your original ticket would be rendered INVALID - Again, it is a VERY COMMON ISSUE with almost all FFPs award bookings, so it is not anything scary of the Chase "powered by Expedia" site which while having many issues, what you experienced is actually something Quite Normal!

When it is a FFP award redemption, when flight schedule changed either by flight number or by flight departure time, Very Often, on the ticket issuing airline's own website, your reservation would no longer be viewable - often there is message to inform you to call (AA, UA and AS do this, can't remember DL, no idea on WN) but some programs such Aeroplan (Air Canada) the site simply would try to retrieve the booking details, then FAILED. So you check the partner sites to see what the heck have changed, then call the airline your ticket is issued to get this straightened out.

In the Expedia booking KE flights, you should get a KE PNR from the Chase Travel Portal rep because the KE PNR is needed in order to retrieve the reservation from KE site. Unfortunately that PNR does NOT show on the Chase confirmation.

On top of that you should also receive a KE issued confirmation email with the details of KE PNR and ticket number with KE ticket stock (the first 3 digits should be KE's 180)

Unfortunately this email is NOT automatically generated! Although it should have!!! The Chase / Expedia rep can generate one for you from their system.

Always get the PNRs of the operating airlines on your reservation so you can monitor your reservation DIRECTLY from the operating airlines own websites - thus know of any mishap as soon as it happens so to avoid any disaster down the road.

Again, this is not just for Chase booking but also for all your airline FFP award tickets as well.

Another pro tip - calling at night actually gets more knowledgeable reps in Philippines, they actually know what is going on and seem to be much more willing to try things in their system to retrieve vital information such as eTicket Number - remember a reservation does NOT equal an eTicket which is the ONLY instrument that enable you to fly. A reservation only shows you have a reservation but has no proof that you actually have a Ticket to fly. Many people do not realize this important difference.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:46 am

So I did receive an email stating that my flight numbers had changed for legs 2 and 3, but it never occurred to me that that would invalidate my tickets for those flights. You would assume an email confirming your new flights would mean you have tickets on that flight.

I had my PNR and was able to pull up all 4 legs in 1 itinerary on KE's website. Everything looked completely normal from my side. Only when there was an inability to select a seat did it occur to me that the tickets were dropped from those 2 legs specifically. Very surprised to see this is a common issue, you don't go around expecting your tickets to drop after a change.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:33 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

[...] You would assume an email confirming your new flights would mean you have tickets on that flight.

[...] you don't go around expecting your tickets to drop after a change.
Quite. When I received an email confirming a changed flight time (for an award flight, but one booked with the airline's alliance partner rather than through the UR portal), it never occurred to me that I might have been dropped...and I hadn't been. Maybe I was just lucky.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I did receive an email stating that my flight numbers had changed for legs 2 and 3, but it never occurred to me that that would invalidate my tickets for those flights. You would assume an email confirming your new flights would mean you have tickets on that flight.

I had my PNR and was able to pull up all 4 legs in 1 itinerary on KE's website. Everything looked completely normal from my side. Only when there was an inability to select a seat did it occur to me that the tickets were dropped from those 2 legs specifically. Very surprised to see this is a common issue, you don't go around expecting your tickets to drop after a change.
Originally Posted by serpens
Quite. When I received an email confirming a changed flight time (for an award flight, but one booked with the airline's alliance partner rather than through the UR portal), it never occurred to me that I might have been dropped...and I hadn't been. Maybe I was just lucky.
Most people would not know about this as it is against logic - but learn from experiencing the illogical way on how airline ticketing systems work after incidents like yours.
It probably is result from the ancient days when the ticket was a paper book containing "coupons" with each coupon corresponding to a particular flight - at each flight, said coupon was torn off as being used...
Even we are at electronic ticket system for decades, the old concept remains the same.
Matter of fact, you can see how this is displayed if your airlines reservation / ticketing system is the same as Saudia airlines, you can use its website to check your booking

https://www.saudia.com/

Use Manage Bookings tab, and choose the e-Ticket function, enter your ticket number, if your issuing airline's ticket stock works on Saudia site, it will pull up your itinerary, with each segment status shown as "coupon status".

You may try that with the KE 180 ticket stock. I have no idea whether Saudia site would recognize it or not, but worth to try.

I know Aeroplan's 014 tickets still work on Saudia site. UA's 016 ticket worked in the past when it was most needed, not sure about now. AA's 001 ticket sadly stopped working since last year.
My Aeroplan award ticket involved 5 Star Alliance partners and was issued as Air Canada 014 ticket stock. The itinerary shown on Aeroplan site is all screwed up with travel segments out of sequence and a Turkish airlines segment completely missing - upon checking each partner own site, thankfully they all shoiw their segments are correctly booked / ticketed - and the ticket shows on Saudia site as correctly ticketed.

The Saudia site is very handy especially when there is flight changes and ticket needs to be reissued - that is when you can make sure if the ticketing airlines have done the correct reissuance or dropped the ball - the coupon status would say "exchanged" and you should get a new e-Ticket. If you do not receive a new e-Ticket but the coupon status said "exchange" - you have a big problem, as that means you have no ticket now. This happened A Lot during the days CO took over UA and the reissuance tickets got screwed up very often, causing people arriving at the airports then found out they did not have valid tickets to fly...
The Saudia site became a godsend in making sure one would not run into such disaster.

Last edited by Happy; Mar 29, 2019 at 9:37 pm
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:24 am

Southwest

Just confirming that southwest is still not bookable using the portal or by calling in? Any eta on Chase fixing this?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Paid with Points - Schedule Change - China Eastern

Hi FT,

I booked a flight using my UR Points on MU.

JFK-PVG-KUL; 05-02-19: MU298-MU9801
KUL-PVG-JFK; 05-13-19: MU9862-MU297.

On the return, they've dropped the 1:55am KUL-PVG flight, MU9862, and MU has rebooked me on the only other flight 05-13-19 departing at 4:10pm, MU9802, which gets me into PVG two hours after my flight to JFK departs.

I called the UR Travel Center to chat about my options, as I still want to do my trip, but have zero desire in spending an extra day trying to get home, or leaving a day earlier or later. After an hour on the phone, the supervisor I spoke with told me my options are to cancel the ticket penalty free, cancel and rebook paying the fare difference, or take a return flight the day after. That said, she seemed confused as to which day I departing and which flight was the issue. Ideally, I'd like to move to either KLM through AMS departing a few hours earlier than my original ticket (KL810-KL6020), or KUL-FM-PVG-DL-ATL-DL-JFK. (FM886,DL186,DL2021; truthfully I'd be ditching that last flight as ATL is my final destination.)

I know if I had booked this ticket with DL or AF, they would move the heavens to help rebook me onto a similar itinerary, regardless of where I booked. However, this is MU and Chase UR.

My questions for the forum are these:
Who needs to rebook me? Chase or MU?
Can I push and have MU rebook me onto a partner airline?
Can I have my return departure city changed, to say SIN, as long as I stay on the PVG-JFK leg?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Expedia booked your ticket with their credit card so I'd call MU and negotiate with them. See whether they give you better options than Chase did. I wouldn't mention Chase or UR to MU rep. Do you know MUs policy for flight changes? Good luck.

PS Chase's offer to cancel fee-free and rebook doesn't sound too bad.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by philemer
Expedia booked your ticket with their credit card so I'd call MU and negotiate with them. See whether they give you better options than Chase did. I wouldn't mention Chase or UR to MU rep. Do you know MUs policy for flight changes? Good luck.

PS Chase's offer to cancel fee-free and rebook doesn't sound too bad.
Unfortunately it's rebook and pay the fare difference. I'm not interested in paying double what I initially paid. Usually it's whomever your travel agent is, which I figured was Chase/Expedia. I'll give MU a call. Thanks !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.