Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Will JPM Chase create an Ink Reserve Card to compete with Amex Business Platinum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will JPM Chase create an Ink Reserve Card to compete with Amex Business Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by dlesin
I don't have much. I was discussing the dominance of Amex corp cards with some of the people I do business with @JPM and they mentioned they're looking to role out something that slots between the current ink line of cards that mostly caters to medium size businesses and the dominant Amex product that's so widely used. I haven't a clue if it'd entail different points structures but being familiar with the card teams approach to customer conversion I'd imagine it would include something enticing to switch over from the tried and true Amex approach
Would make sense if Chase airline and hotel partners are willing to participate, share some of the costs - exclusive discounts and benefits, elite status, enhanced award redemption - more in line with targeted AMEX offers than the unsustainable bribes currently being offered by other premium cards. Biggest risk: cannibalizing Chase partner credit card business.
Old May 9, 2018, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

With a new Chase Ink card coming out with better cash back benefits, I wonder if the $450 CSR version of an Ink card can't be to far away?
Old May 9, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by AAdmiral
With a new Chase Ink card coming out with better cash back benefits, I wonder if the $450 CSR version of an Ink card can't be to far away?
What benefits do you think Chase could/would think up for a Business Platinum Competitor? They've been neutering the other Ink cards they had on the earning end. Ink Bold, Ink Plus no longer available.
Old May 10, 2018, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by drminn
Chase lost a boatload of money on the Reserve card, I doubt that management will spring for another $300M loss to "compete" with Amex.
Except the currently have the Ink Preferred at an 80k bonus, 100k with a BRM, and targetted 120k. I've also read conflicting reports about Chase "losing a boatload on money on the Reserve", including a Harvard Business School case study that says that everything indicates that it was a raging success based on the publically available information that they were able to gather. The study was pretty convincing that they were actually highly successful so I'm not convinced about all the gloom and doom. The fact that the Ink Preferred came out with and has also continued to maintain those high signup bonuses lends credibility to the fact that the CSR was in fact, succesful. They would have also learned things from the CSR launch and will tweak any new card launches as appropriate. For instance, they changed the travel credit to calendar year vs anniversary which eliminated double dipping on the credit.

Besides, we're all free to dream. I'm also dreaming of a nice, delectably generous new card.
Old May 10, 2018, 5:51 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by baroqen
...high signup bonuses lends credibility to the fact that the CSR was in fact, succesful. ....
100,000 points is not a high bonus. It's standard for the market segment. American Express has offered bonuses as high as 250,000 points for its Platinum Card. Chase previously offered a 100,000 mile bonus for the British Airways co-branded card, reduced it, and brought it back with much higher spend requirements. The reduction in the bonus for Sapphire Reserve is normal, and tells us nothing about the product's profitability.

Sign up bonuses do not induce people to renew and use cards year after year. Chase has demonstrated no aptitude for compelling benefits, only rewards. Chase's newer INK cards offer inferior rewards compared to the first generation. What is Chase likely to do that would make an INK Reserve card attractive, other than the sign-up bonus?
Old May 10, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mia
100,000 points is not a high bonus. It's standard for the market segment. American Express has offered bonuses as high as 250,000 points for its Platinum Card. Chase previously offered a 100,000 mile bonus for the British Airways co-branded card, reduced it, and brought it back with much higher spend requirements. The reduction in the bonus for Sapphire Reserve is normal, and tells us nothing about the product's profitability.
100,000 points is absolutely a high bonus. $1000-$1500 is not money you play around with no matter how big you are. Comparing it to American Express's limited, targeted offers going after huge spenders is not even a close comparison. Not your average CSR or even Platinum user.

This is accurate. One reason why the 100,000 was determined to be too high for the CSR.

Chase has demonstrated no aptitude for compelling benefits, only rewards. Chase's newer INK cards offer inferior rewards compared to the first generation. What is Chase likely to do that would make an INK Reserve card attractive, other than the sign-up bonus?
I sincerely question that first statement. CSR has $300 travel credit, primary rental car insurance, no foreign exchange fees, global entry, priority pass, emergency medical/dental insurance, medical evacuation coverage, trip cancellation insurance, baggage delay insurance, and a few others on top of generous reward rates. For the profile of the targeted audience of a traveler with a comfortable income, is this seriously a demonstration of no aptitude for benefits? Let me ask, what is it missing? What card trounces it, hands-down? I hope it's more than Centurion vs Priority Pass discussion.

Back onto the topic, it's tough to tell. However, I doubt Chase is satisfied as the Ink Preferred being their "premium" business choice. If we are doing the comparisons of names to annual fees, then yes, it would seem logical to see something like a Ink Business Reserve. As far as what we would see differently, I don't know. The biggest thing that would stick out to me is the VISA Infinite benefit they have neglected to include: $100 off airfare of 2-5 tickets. I'm sure that one interferes with some of their plans. Who knows what would be the right spot to put the AF.
Old May 10, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
Chase has demonstrated no aptitude for compelling benefits, only rewards.
Originally Posted by Super Mario
I sincerely question that first statement. CSR has $300 travel credit, primary rental car insurance, no foreign exchange fees, global entry, priority pass, emergency medical/dental insurance, medical evacuation coverage, trip cancellation insurance, baggage delay insurance, and a few others on top of generous reward rates. For the profile of the targeted audience of a traveler with a comfortable income, is this seriously a demonstration of no aptitude for benefits? Let me ask, what is it missing? What card trounces it, hands-down?
I think we may be mixing symantics a bit here, but Chase when they designed the CSR they essentially copy catted all the that benefits they could from the cards it was meant to challenge (Prestige and Platinum cards), made them a bit better like having a higher travel credit, most Priority Pass guests, etc. to differentiate it and make a splash, both of which are beginning to be walked back as the card is past its honeymoon period. Chase hasn't really thought outside the box, and I'm not saying that the CSR is missing anything or that it isn't a good product, it clearly is, but Chase seems to not want to go down the road of creating truly unique card benefits. For example like Citi having the 4th night free benefit, or the now dead free golf perk on the Prestige, or like Amex investing in their own lounge network, providing lounge access to customers of other partners like the Delta Skyclub access. I think that's what mia was alluding to, but I could be wrong.
Old May 10, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by baroqen
They would have also learned things from the CSR launch and will tweak any new card launches as appropriate. For instance, they changed the travel credit to calendar year vs anniversary which eliminated double dipping on the credit.
That change eliminated triple dipping. Double dipping the credit is still possible if you only hold the card for the first year.
pallhedge likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mhdena
What benefits do you think Chase could/would think up for a Business Platinum Competitor? They've been neutering the other Ink cards they had on the earning end. Ink Bold, Ink Plus no longer available.
I would like Chase to create an INK card that would offer similar benefits to AMEX Platinum Business Card. I think that at a $550 price point they can compete with AMEX. I'm not looking for huge signup bonus as I am not a churner and looking to get cards merely for the signup bonus. I think the fact that the INK cards are Visa product they could offer a reimbursement for warehouse club annual fee for Costco and other clubs. Seeing as Costco only takes Visa this would benefit without being the official card if Costco since it goes to Cit. Also maybe 5x points on warehouse club spend. They should add access to the United Club like AMEX does for Delta. Maybe add United Silver status. Also elite status from one of the hotels that they have a co-branded card with. I think they need to focus the card on true businesses that put a lot of spend on the card and not people that open an account to just get the signup bonus and simply cancel after the first year. Remember the banks make money on transactions so obviously the more a card member spends the more the bank makes on transaction fees.
Old May 23, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by AAdmiral
I would like Chase to create an INK card that would offer similar benefits to AMEX Platinum Business Card. I
Unless you're going to go work for Chase and develop this card, I don't think anyone with an idea like this works there now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.