Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

United’s Relationship With Chase Bank Under Review?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United’s Relationship With Chase Bank Under Review?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by mia
Well that's a mixed bag, unfortunately
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:20 pm
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whicuz
Are there any examples of UR dropping partners? In such a case, is it immediate? E.g. do I need to take defensive steps and transfer my points to United now? (Which decreases their value, of course.)
As you yourself allude, one of the most appealing feature of UR points is their convertibility. Preemptively converting them is no small matter, nor, in my opinion, necessary. Although there's no telling if the partner rug might get pulled out from under us, I would not worry. That said, even if you're sure you're eventually going to convert them into MileagePlus miles, don't. You never know what turn of events may compel you to want to convert them to, say, hotel points instead.

RNE, channeling Ferris to say, "Life moves pretty fast..."
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by whicuz
Are there any examples of UR dropping partners? In such a case, is it immediate? E.g. do I need to take defensive steps and transfer my points to United now? (Which decreases their value, of course.)
Keep in mind that also the cobranded cards and the whole relationship are in the discussion. So any new outcome will be a multi-year deal and so will likely take effect with a delay.

No need to worry now.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
If Chase lost UR transferability to UA hopefully it will be like Citi/Hilton. They announce a date and you have some time to take action.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: Independent
Thanks all for the reassurance... I will not be making any bold preemptive moves
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Inferior to what though? Their competitor's cobrand cards? Or the premium cards, which is going to be true of basically all of the $95/yr airline cards?

UA's card isn't *that* different from the competing airlines. The main differences between the MileagePlus Explorer and say the Citi AA Platinum and Amex Delta Gold IMO are: 1) UA gives you 2 club passes a year, the other two don't give any. You can use these or resell them, I mean they're worth $15ish on ebay; 2) UA gives you access to better economy award availability on some flights, YMMV, if that's of any value; and 3) UA makes you buy your ticket with the card for a free checked bag, while AA/DL don't, so that's a bit of a ding for me.

The other competitive argument, who else would UA pair up with for a co-brand card? Every other major issuer already has an airline, or in Barclay's case they have like 4, so.... where would they go without DL or AA throwing a fit? I think UA and Chase, for better or worse, are kinda married to each other for the near/mid term.

Edit: now that I think about it, there really isn't much reason to spend on any of the normal airline cards, because if you're earning faster on other Amex/Chase products and can just transfer to Delta and United/SW, respectively, why use the airline card at all unless you're going for the PQD waiver? Chase/UA actually give you an incentive to spend because you get a 10k mile bonus if you spend $25k/yr on the card. Again, something the AA/DL cards don't have at the $95/AF level, but that's a lot of spend to put on 1 card that has no meaningful multipliers.
Inferior to someone who is UA Gold or above as we basically get just about everything this card offers and therefore have no need to spend $95 on the UA cc. I too will cancel next year at AF time unless they enhance the card prior.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Inferior to someone who is UA Gold or above as we basically get just about everything this card offers and therefore have no need to spend $95 on the UA cc. I too will cancel next year at AF time unless they enhance the card prior.
What does the card give you if you're only UA Silver that you wouldn't need if you were UA Gold?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by sdsearch
What does the card give you if you're only UA Silver that you wouldn't need if you were UA Gold?
I'm not sure I understand your statement. But if you're suggesting that there is not much to gain from the cc if you're silver as well - I can believe it. I'm LT Gold so I am not overly versed in Silver level benefits. In any event, my comment still stands... card has almost no value for Gold and above and if I understand your comment correctly, one may find it somewhat worthless even at Silver and above.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I'm not sure I understand your statement. But if you're suggesting that there is not much to gain from the cc if you're silver as well - I can believe it. I'm LT Gold so I am not overly versed in Silver level benefits. In any event, my comment still stands... card has almost no value for Gold and above and if I understand your comment correctly, one may find it somewhat worthless even at Silver and above.
From my understanding, this card doesn't provide much for Silvers and above. Anybody with status gets access to the special award space, priority boarding, and checked bags. The biggest things the card provides that doesn't come with elite status is a PQD waiver, and upgrades on award tickets (however, I barely get upgraded on revenue tickets as a 1K). I'm sure I'm missing something, but overall these cards aren't anything special for people with elite status. I would love for Chase/UA to come out with a card that elites would want to get. I haven't had a UA card in years as there is no tangible benefits for me.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JHake10
From my understanding, this card doesn't provide much for Silvers and above. Anybody with status gets access to the special award space, priority boarding, and checked bags. The biggest things the card provides that doesn't come with elite status is a PQD waiver, and upgrades on award tickets (however, I barely get upgraded on revenue tickets as a 1K). I'm sure I'm missing something, but overall these cards aren't anything special for people with elite status. I would love for Chase/UA to come out with a card that elites would want to get. I haven't had a UA card in years as there is no tangible benefits for me.
Doesn't the Explorer come with 2 UA club passes annually? Or is that just the first year? Of course, not all people need UA Club passes, but on domestic travel, you don't get club access from Gold status, do you?

I spelled out Exploer because Chase has another UA card, the Club card, and that has very different benefits (and higher cost).
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:25 pm
RNE
Original Poster

...you don't get club access from Gold status, do you?
Nope, you don't.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:30 pm
RNE
Original Poster

The inclusion of Aer Lingus and Iberia as UR transfer partners weakens United's bargaining position, methinks.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...ravel-Partners
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:59 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by RNE
The inclusion of Aer Lingus and Iberia as UR transfer partners...
Discussion here: UR to Aer Lingus and Iberia added November 2017
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:22 pm

Doesn't the Explorer come with 2 UA club passes annually? Or is that just the first year?
Yep. You get 2 club passes annually (including your first year). However, sometimes clubs don't accept them based on crowding. RNE previously had an issue with that at EWR.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:10 am

Doesn't the Explorer come with 2 UA club passes annually? Or is that just the first year? Of course, not all people need UA Club passes, but on domestic travel, you don't get club access from Gold status, do you?

I spelled out Exploer because Chase has another UA card, the Club card, and that has very different benefits (and higher cost).
Yes. But, you pay $95 for that privilege. Can't you buy day passes for $50? Not sure it makes sense even if not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.