Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kerrigjl
In 2017, at the first renewal of the 2016 Chase Sapphire Reserve card,* no retention offers have been forthcoming. It appears that Chase is not offering retention bonuses on this card at this time, and will cancel the card at the cardholders request without further ado.

*A retention offer has been reported (though it's minimal): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28917524-post376.html

Posts 333 and 327 discuss a fee credit issued by Chase when cancelling the card. These have been called both "Annual Fee Refund" and "Membership Fee Credit."

This thread discusses the timing of both cancelling and product changing (downgrading to Sapphire Preferred) in order to 1) Keep from paying the $450 annual fee, and 2) possibly get a 2018 $300 travel credit before cancelling.

The rules changed for the travel credit on cards issued in May 2017, making the travel credit a calendar year issuance rather than a Dec statement to Dec Statement issuance.

The nuances discussed within this thread include changing your billing date, fees posting on the 1st of the month, and the 30 day window to cancel/60 day window to product change.

09/03/17 - 72k spend, no offer.
09/03/17 - 30k spend, no offer.
09/04/17 - 25k spend, no offer.
09/05/17 - 10k spend, no offer.
09/06/17 - 24k spend, no offer.
09/06/17 - Maybe 4-5K spend. No offer, closed.
09/06/17 - Spend unspecified, no offer.
09/07/17 - 10k spend, no offer.
09/12/17 - 15k annual spend, no offer, downgraded to Chase Freedom to preserve cl
09/18/17 - No offer.
09/22/17 - 25k spend, no offer.
09/29/17 - 17k spend, no offer.
10/02/17 - 64k spend, no offer.
10/10/17 - 16.5k, 2,500 point offer, declined.
10/13/17 - 165k, no offer.
10/13/17- No offer. ~$25k
10/21/17 - No offer, maybe $10k spend, transferred CL, cancelled.
03/02/18 - No offer, ~$13.5k spend
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve: Renewal & Retention

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: avis, national, jetblue, delta, marriot
Originally Posted by pallhedge
It's too early in the month for any success stories. In another week, we should start seeing some data points. The earliest possible and most aggressive scenario would be:

12/1 statement date
12/2 purchase $300 in travel
12/3 travel purchase and travel credit posts
12/4 cancel card then wait for AF refund

excellent point, i jumped the gun a bit with that question. I’ll wait and see the data points before i decide.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by pokeygirl
That message was included on my Sept statement, it's now Nov 2nd and there is no charge showing on my online account, does that mean I got lucky or it's still too soon to tell? I applied for the RC (10/11) and hyatt (10/31) cards and those fees posted yesterday....
Still no annual fee posted now as of today....
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pokeygirl
Still no annual fee posted now as of today....
I'm so envious. Mine posted right on time.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:04 pm

My CSR statement generates on the 26th of every month.

I was billed the AF on Dec 1

The next statement will generate on Dec 26

It is my understanding that:

1) On Dec 26, I should have my $300 travel credit available.

2) I will have 30 days from Dec 26 to cancel my CSR and get a full refund.

Correct?

TIA
Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:01 pm

It's too early in the month for any success stories. In another week, we should start seeing some data points. The earliest possible and most aggressive scenario would be:

12/1 statement date
12/2 purchase $300 in travel
12/3 travel purchase and travel credit posts
12/4 cancel card then wait for AF refund
Ha ha. This is me. My November statement closed on 12/01. The AF was changed to that statement. Made a travel purchase on 12/02. I wanted to make sure the travel credit sticks so I was going to wait on downgrading until Jan 2nd or so (after the Dec statement closes on Jan 1st)
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10

Correct?

TIA
1) Minor Correction: On Dec 27 you will have the $300 travel credit available--the first day following your December statement.

2) According to the terms, this is correct. Be prepared to fight for your refund as Chase reps argue that it's 30 days from Dec 1 (AF posting). I would suggest downgrading to a no-annual-fee Freedom card instead of canceling. There are many good reasons for this, not the least of which is it gives you 60 days for a full AF refund instead of only 30 days if you cancel

Originally Posted by Bora2017
Ha ha. This is me. My November statement closed on 12/01. The AF was changed to that statement. Made a travel purchase on 12/02. I wanted to make sure the travel credit sticks so I was going to wait on downgrading until Jan 2nd or so (after the Dec statement closes on Jan 1st)
Waiting until January seems like a reasonable plan particularly since it costs you nothing.
CodeAdam10 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Bora2017
Same scenario. I was wondering if you saw any datapoint regarding an "early downgrade" - Meaning, downgrade the card before the statement closes (after using the 300$ credit)?

EDIT: I just realized it's not the same scenario. I was billed for the AF on October, meaning I'm getting a prorated fee back, therefore any day cost me money.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10

Correct?

TIA
You and I have the similar case. My travel credit will re-start on 12/16. However, you may find out yours by logging you Chase Reward page. I was thinking to either cancel the card or product change to CSP. I think we should have 30 days from Dec 1st (the posting date of AF).
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:21 pm

1) Minor Correction: On Dec 27 you will have the $300 travel credit available--the first day following your December statement.

2) According to the terms, this is correct. Be prepared to fight for your refund as Chase reps argue that it's 30 days from Dec 1 (AF posting). I would suggest downgrading to a no-annual-fee Freedom card instead of canceling. There are many good reasons for this, not the least of which is it gives you 60 days for a full AF refund instead of only 30 days if you cancel

Waiting until January seems like a reasonable plan particularly since it costs you nothing.
Thanks @pallhedge !
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:24 pm

I received the 2018 travel credit. By PCing Reserve to Freedom would it be possible to activate 5% cash back on Q4 categories? Last day to activate for Q4 is 12/14 so I am thinking it is very unlikely.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by 9thSense
I received the 2018 travel credit. By PCing Reserve to Freedom would it be possible to activate 5% cash back on Q4 categories? Last day to activate for Q4 is 12/14 so I am thinking it is very unlikely.
If Freedom is one of the cards that Chase will allow you to PC to directly (this is not always the case), I believe you do have enough time to activate. AND when you activate for Q4, all department store and Walmart purchases going back to October 1 with your Reserve should get the extra points.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:56 pm

If Freedom is one of the cards that Chase will allow you to PC to directly (this is not always the case), I believe you do have enough time to activate. AND when you activate for Q4, all department store and Walmart purchases going back to October 1 with your Reserve should get the extra points.
Thank you. I hope they will allow me to downgrade to a Freedom card.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:06 am

the prorated annual fee refund after downgrade from Sapphire Reserve to Freedom Unlimited posted after 4 days

this downgrade was after the 2018 travel credit posted

Last edited by Colin; Dec 15, 2017 at 10:45 am
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:16 am

Apologies in advance. Is it possible to PC to regular sapphire card? If so, would that affect my ability to ever get a bonus on the sapphire preferred? Is it even possible to get another bonus or is the bonus limited once per lifetime across all sapphire cards.

I don't want to PC to freedom because I was hoping to get a sign up bonus early next year. If I am forced to PC to a freedom card, can I still get a bonus with new card sign up and have 2 freedom cards open?

I'm coming up on my two months so will need to make a decision soon. Finally, why are people asking for a PC through secure message and not by directly calling customer support?

​​​​
Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Squirty
Apologies in advance. Is it possible to PC to regular sapphire card? If so, would that affect my ability to ever get a bonus on the sapphire preferred? Is it even possible to get another bonus or is the bonus limited once per lifetime across all sapphire cards.

I don't want to PC to freedom because I was hoping to get a sign up bonus early next year. If I am forced to PC to a freedom card, can I still get a bonus with new card sign up and have 2 freedom cards open?

I'm coming up on my two months so will need to make a decision soon. Finally, why are people asking for a PC through secure message and not by directly calling customer support?

​​​​
It's possible to PC to a regular Sapphire card but Chase's rule is that you cannot open a Sapphire card if you already hold a different Sapphire card. So you wouldn't be able to open the CSP while holding a Sapphire "regular" card. You are eligible for another Sapphire card bonus 24 months after the bonus from your last Sapphire card posted. It's not once per lifetime.

People ask for PC through SM instead of calling because they are incapable of intelligent conversation. (Might be faster too.)
RNE likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.