Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Plastic replacement for metal cards - do both still work?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plastic replacement for metal cards - do both still work?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rkb2530
In Europe I have had car rental companies that would not accept a card without embossed numbers. They claimed it was fraud prevention.
That is sad to hear. What a joke
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:32 am

In Europe I have had car rental companies that would not accept a card without embossed numbers. They claimed it was fraud prevention.
I wonder what Chase would do, would they still cover the car rental with their insurance even if the car rental company won't accept your card due to the design?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Sintaku
I wonder what Chase would do, would they still cover the car rental with their insurance even if the car rental company won't accept your card due to the design?
Indeed. I do wonder if you're still covered by the CDW insurance if a rental car booking is fully prepaid with a CSR, but the CSR is not accepted at the rental counter at the time of pickup. I guess that it's an additional reason to not leave it to chance, and to simply get the plastic CSR cards. I'd hate to be on the wrong side of that gamble.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:39 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
I had the same in Cape Town, South Africa a few years ago. Refused to take my CSP. Ended up using a Chase card that had forex fees. SM'd Chase afterwards explaining and asked them to reverse the forex fees which they did.
Old May 26, 2018, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
So, I just called Chase and the agent said it was impossible to get a plastic card with the raised numbers. He said something about he submitted an escalation request but it seemed like it was more suggesting the option than actually requesting it.

Has anyone had success getting a plastic CSR recently? Similar to others above, in some places it's just easier to have the old fashioned type of card.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Same situation as gooselee described (post above). Been using a plastic Sapphire Reserve card for the past 3 years. Expiration date this month, received new/replacement metal card couple of weeks ago. Called to request plastic card, told plastic card no longer available. Anyone able to get a plastic card recently? Anyone know if plastic card really is unavailable? Thank you.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Same situation as gooselee described (post above). Been using a plastic Sapphire Reserve card for the past 3 years. Expiration date this month, received new/replacement metal card couple of weeks ago. Called to request plastic card, told plastic card no longer available. Anyone able to get a plastic card recently? Anyone know if plastic card really is unavailable? Thank you.
Sorry - I never updated my post. Call back and escalate if you need to. I eventually got a phone rep who knew how to put the request in (IIRC they had to use some kind of escalation ticket) and I received a plastic card about 2 weeks later. Have been happily using it ever since.

AND, when I subsequently got a new card to add contactless, that one came in plastic as well (and contactless works perfectly).
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Just wondering if you were able to get a plastic card recently, as gooselee did last year? I am in the same situation now. Just got my replacement card, which of course is metal. I requested a plastic card via secure message and was told in reply that "Chase Sapphire Reserve are metal engraved card. The option for a plastic card is unavailable." What are the magic words I need to say in order to get one?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, but when I called I basically told them I sometimes go places overseas that still do card imprints (which was true at the time), and not having a plastic card with embossed numbers means all those places are getting paid via another card instead. And I'd really love to use my chase card but simply can't because it's metal.

Suddenly the rep discovered he could open an escalation ticket to "see what options they have".
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:45 am

I received my new card and it's plastic. I had both metal and plastic before. I'm not going to ask for a metal one but I will miss it.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by gusg
I received my new card and it's plastic. I had both metal and plastic before. I'm not going to ask for a metal one but I will miss it.
w t f. ??? Chase really can’t get this right can they
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by gusg
Originally Posted by jasonvr

w t f. ??? Chase really can’t get this right can they
As far as I can tell, "plastic card" is a flag on the account that a Chase rep can set, and it persists until another Chase rep clears the flag.

If you call and ask for a plastic card, the rep sets the flag, triggering the production of a replacement card in plastic. All subsequent cards--regardless of the reason for issue--will be plastic until you call back in and ask for metal. I was a longtime CSP holder and had plastic CSPs for years. I signed up for CSR in its early days and got a metal one (so the flag is on the account, not the customer), which was quickly replaced with plastic when I called. That card's been replaced after being compromised, I ordered an AU card for my wife, and I asked for 'damaged' replacements to get contactless cards. All of those have been plastic.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Rare
Just wondering if you were able to get a plastic card recently, as gooselee did last year? I am in the same situation now. Just got my replacement card, which of course is metal. I requested a plastic card via secure message and was told in reply that "Chase Sapphire Reserve are metal engraved card. The option for a plastic card is unavailable." What are the magic words I need to say in order to get one?
Yes, they definitely have them. Be persistent. If necessary, escalate or HUCA.

I had problems using the metal CSP--it peeled apart but, more importantly, didn't work reliably in many magnetic strip readers. I explained that without plastic I'd be forced to use another card. The agent figured out how to order a plastic one.

When I switched to the CSR, I immediately called and requested a plastic card. The agent said it wasn't possible but relented after I explained the operational problems I'd experienced and that I knew they had plastic cards because I'd had a plastic CSP.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:44 pm

Thank you all for your replies. I sent another SM asking that they escalate, ask a supervisor, whatever they need to do to get this done. I received a reply that said they would send a plastic card via rush delivery. Great! Except not so great. I received the new card via UPS Next Day Air, but it was another metal card. Hmm...

I immediately sent another SM emphasizing that I want a plastic card, not metal, and asking them to please ask someone how to do it and escalate if necessary. This is the response I got:

We reviewed your inquiry about your Chase Sapphire Reserve Credit Card.

[Rare], we confirmed that the Chase Sapphire Reserve Credit Card is metal engraved card. The option for a plastic card is not available.

Your inquiry has reached the highest level of authority. If you prefer, please call us at the number at the back of your card and request for a supervisor or manager to review your account.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
*sigh* I hate calling, but I guess I'll have to if I really want this...
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:32 pm

So here's some fun. My card is expiring next month. My new card arrived in the mail this week. It's a plastic, contactless card.... I didn't even ask (though I had asked for a plastic extra card way back when I got the CSR because I had issues renting a car in South Africa with my old CSP due to the non-raised numbers and the rental agency refusing the card).
gooselee likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.