Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, etc. w/ Ultimate Rewards Points, 2014-2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread covers how to use Ultimate Reward Points for booking all types of travel via the Ultimate Rewards portal.

1) How do I book a ticket? Choose my airfare class?
Login to ultimaterewards.com
Click: Use points > Explore and Book Travel
Click the button that defaults to [1 Traveler, All]
Change "Class" (the first entry in the pull-down) from All to Business
Click: Close

2) How far in advance can I book?
In mid-November 2017 it was reported that airline reservations are available only 270 days in advance. Read HERE.

3) How do I book hotels?
Follow the steps above to log on. There are standard looking search engines offered for airfare, hotel, etc at that point.

4) How do I get the better redemption rate offered on some Chase cards?
The upper left corner of the UR page will show you which card you are logged in with. If you hold a Chase Sapphire Reserve card, you will be shown a better price on points bookings, as a 1.5 redemption rate is offered as one of the benefits of this card. If you log in to the UR portal from a different UR card, such as the Ink, you will not be offered this rate.

5) Where else can I find information?

This thread is a consolidated resource which covers topics including:

Fare buckets, here
Price differences between open market air fares and UR bookings, here
Selecting seat classes
Using cash and points to pay for tickets

and more.

The previous discussion, through 2016, can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ly-2015-a.html
Print Wikipost

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, etc. w/ Ultimate Rewards Points, 2014-2017

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2017, 6:32 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by el aye
When you book airfare through the UR portal and it gives errors when trying to select seats, in general will the airline (in this case Air Canada) allow you to pick seats through them if you provide the reservation number? It doesn't automatically show up under my bookings through the Air Canada site.
I've never been able to select seats through the portal. I always get the confirmation code for the operating carrier and select seats with them.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by el aye
When you book airfare through the UR portal and it gives errors when trying to select seats, in general will the airline (in this case Air Canada) allow you to pick seats through them if you provide the reservation number? It doesn't automatically show up under my bookings through the Air Canada site.
Originally Posted by United747
I've never been able to select seats through the portal. I always get the confirmation code for the operating carrier and select seats with them.
Same here I always go in to the airlines website and pick them.

It maybe because I've had status and got better seats EC? It's been about 5 months since I did it.

Last edited by jjmiller69; Feb 15, 2017 at 7:29 am Reason: correction
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:13 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I've only done it once, but I chose seats at the same time as the I made the reservation at the UR portal. What did I do right? The flight was an American number on American livery, but I believe it was American Eagle. Did that make the difference?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 2:51 pm

I'm planning to do my first booking through the Chase portal soon using UR points. We have a June trip planned at Disney World. I'm going to use my CSR bonus points to book our resort hotel, but I have a question for anyone who may have experience booking Disney resorts through the portal. In the past I've used a Disney TA to handle my Disney trips. Because I'm booking through the portal, she won't be able to handle the trip for me this time around. She said the only way to have the booking transferred to her would be if I booked the resort, but left at least a small balance due. Is this even possible when booking through the portal? I assumed I'd have to pay the full amount with either points/my card when I book the room. Any insight?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
Originally Posted by pallhedge
I agree. Having basic economy as the only Delta economy fare that you can book online is unacceptable. United and AA to follow.
The solution is to look up the flights on DL, using the advance search field selecting fare class v or higher. Then call the Chase Ultimate Rewards line, wait on hold for 20 to 40 minutes, and then book your flight by giving them the fare class code for each segment. The whole process will take 1 to 1-1/2 hours.

My latest today, is trying to book MSP to CUL. I pull it up no problem on Amex, DL's site, (AA doesn't fly, nor have a partner to CUL). But I can fly AA to PHX and then Volaris from PHX to CUL.

No results found on the Chase Ultimate Rewards Site. If I change the days and look at another set of dates that might work for us to go visit some family members that live near there, it's only showing Aero Mexico, and the price is $400 more than DL's flights.

I'm all for getting 50% bonus on my points when I book travel, but I really hate having to jump through these hoops that I never had to do that once in the previous 15 years when I was using my Amex Platinum card for points and travel. It's sad that Chase has us using a product that is so bad, it's worse than what we could do during dial up internet days.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by United747
Originally Posted by jjmiller69
Same here I always go in to the airlines website and pick them.

It maybe because I've had status and got better seats EC? It's been about 5 months since I did it.
Thanks. I just wish Air Canada would allow me to add my confirmation number to my account rather than making me call them, I hope I won't have to manually tell them what seat I want over the phone.

Edit: looks like there is a round about way to do this. Under "book" you can manage your flight reservation based on the confirmation number from the Chase page or email, which then redirects you to https://services.aircanada.com/Servi...method=english where you plugin the same number and can choose seats

Last edited by el aye; Feb 15, 2017 at 5:53 pm
Old Feb 17, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Upgrading AA/BA flights booked with UR points

I have open-jaw trip booked via Chase, using UR points.
BOS-LHR AA6175 operated by BA 238
CDG-BOS AA147

Both flights are referred to as "Economy".
I was able to choose seats for AA147 online with AA.
For AA6175/BA 238, I have the option to pay for seat selection online with BA.
On the BA website, under flight details, Selling Class is listed as "Q".

Neither AA or BA website offers me upgrade options, that I can find.

My question...
Are there any ways to upgrade either flight to Business, using AA Miles, BA Avios, or additional UR Points?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: AMEX Centurion/Platinum, SPG Platinum, ICH Platinum, UA 1K, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold
Booked JetBlue flight with Chase points; fare now $130 less - options?

I booked 3 days ago, and now the fare is $130 less.

If I had booked directly with JetBlue, since this is less than 14 days from the original booking date, they would refund me the difference without a fee.

Now that this is booked via the Chase travel portal and it's been 3 days (can't cancel using the 24 hour rule), am I out of alternatives?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by BOSOGG
I have open-jaw trip booked via Chase, using UR points.
BOS-LHR AA6175 operated by BA 238
CDG-BOS AA147

Both flights are referred to as "Economy".
I was able to choose seats for AA147 online with AA.
For AA6175/BA 238, I have the option to pay for seat selection online with BA.
On the BA website, under flight details, Selling Class is listed as "Q".

Neither AA or BA website offers me upgrade options, that I can find.

My question...
Are there any ways to upgrade either flight to Business, using AA Miles, BA Avios, or additional UR Points?
It's must be a code share that BA flies. Same thing happened to me on 11/2016 and I couldn't do anything on the BA flight.

The AA147 you should be able to work it out?

Try for help in the BA forum for flight AA6175?
Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:18 pm

Wanted to add a data point for my experience today with the Chase Travel Portal (I have the CSR card).

Booked the JW Marriott in Austin, Texas using UR points, which was a discount (32000 vs 40000) per night. I was hoping that it would be a "revenue stay" since my experience with United has been that airfare booked with UR through the travel portal earns elite PQM. When I noticed that the reservation did not show up on my Marriott future reservations list on the Marriott Rewards website, I called Marriott Rewards. They in turn called the hotel and discovered that Chase had booked my reservation at the JW through expedia. Therefore I am not eligible to earn points on the stay, although they allowed me to add my gold elite status number to the reservation. Not sure if this is common knowledge, but just wanted to help fellow FT'ers in case they had the same thing in mind.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
I'm planning a trip to Universal Studios Orlando in March with the kids - they want to see the Harry Potter parks. I'm assuming first of all that the Universal 2 park pass includes both the Harry Potter parks - or are there other Universal parks there as well?

Anyway, I got the Chase Saph Res card and have the $300 travel credit available. Also, I want to pay for at least $150 of the ticket costs with UR points so that I'm break even on my $450 annual fee. I've never use the UR portal before, but I did find the Universal Studios 2 park pass for 2 days starting at $220 per adult. However, there are several options.

First there are the Europe resident tix which cost more -$308. Not sure why anyone would choose that option.
Then within the regular 2 park tix, there is "2 park-2Day Base 2 days Free" for $220 and 2 park-"2Day PTP 2 days Free" for $259 each.

Are these tickets good for 4 consecutive days or do the 2 free days have to be split up later? "Special Offer - Book a 2-Park, 2-Day ticket by May 3, 2017 for travel through May 28, 2017 and receive 2 days free! - BOOK NOW!"
What is the difference in the Base and PTP options?
Will tax be charged? I've run thru the purchase nearly to checkout and haven't seen a reference to tax yet.
Also, how do I select the dates on the tix? it says: "Tickets are only valid on selected date of travel.Universal Orlando operating hours normally begin at 9am and closing times vary" But on the Univ Studios website the tickets just say they can be used in a 7 day span once you first enter the park. Are they really date specific?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:34 pm

Booking travel

Guys - does chase online travel allowing booking for worldwide flights? I'm trying to book this itinerary but nothing comes up for JZH

https://www.google.com/flights/?gl=u...7;r=2017-10-20
Old Feb 24, 2017, 6:12 pm

UR Travel Portal not showing what I want

I wish to book a first-class one way ticket from SAN to GFK on October 5 departing at 11:19 am and arriving at 6:56 pm DL2817/DL4439). My only choice option is basic economy. Delta.com shows all 20 first class seats available (also most the regular & economy plus are available). Why is this?
Old Feb 25, 2017, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by jt58203
I wish to book a first-class one way ticket from SAN to GFK on October 5 departing at 11:19 am and arriving at 6:56 pm DL2817/DL4439). My only choice option is basic economy. Delta.com shows all 20 first class seats available (also most the regular & economy plus are available). Why is this?
There is no first class/business cabin on the MSP->GFK leg, only main cabin. Looks like Chase won't show mixed fares on the website.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by pallhedge
There is no first class/business cabin on the MSP->GFK leg, only main cabin. Looks like Chase won't show mixed fares on the website.
Chase does allow mixed cabin itineraries on the same day with Delta. I could purchase the 6:25 am and the 2:14 pm first class flights with them, but not the time I really want. They only run CRJs on the MSP-GFK leg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.