Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ask Chase to reduce credit limit after approval?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Chase to reduce credit limit after approval?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
there is no 50% of income rule with Chase. Including JPMR my combined Chase limits are higher than my annual income.

also, the idea of volunteering to lower your limit... that is just nuts. higher limits beget higher limits.

edited to say "there is no..."

Last edited by Dr_wanderlust; Mar 1, 2019 at 7:24 pm Reason: missed word
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust
there is 50% of income rule with Chase. Including JPMR my combined Chase limits are higher than my annual income.

also, the idea of volunteering to lower your limit... that is just nuts. higher limits beget higher limits.
Interesting.

My specific DP seems maybe an outlier.

Just for info if ppl didn't read my other post.

My annual income is 300k/yr. My current total CL is 105k (70k biz cards, 35k personal cards). I applied and approved for IHG and Hyatt cards, BUT I got a call from chase saying my total CL was hitting a ceiling and that I need to lower one of my personal cards to let the IHG card in. Lowered my CSR by 5k to let IHG card get approved. Using the 50% rule, I shouldn't have had to do that since I "should" still have a ceiling of 150k given my income but in this case it appears it is staying around 105-110k or so.

I asked chase on phone what rule they use to determine CL ceiling and they said there's no hard/fast rule and that their backend system determines it individually given multiple factors.

I presume an even higher income (more than 300k) could have more leeway but just a data point to contribute to this discussion
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by ginmqi
I presume an even higher income (more than 300k) could have more leeway but just a data point to contribute to this discussion
Or perhaps in your case, Chase would only extend 50% of your income up to ~$200k. We just don't know.

Like they told you, there are other factors. Undoubtedly, one's length of credit history, particularly with Chase, comes into play. That's why we call it a rule of thumb. For some, Chase's limit might be 25% of stated income, for others, 150%. In general though, 50% seems to cover most cases.
ginmqi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.