Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ask Chase to reduce credit limit after approval?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2016, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by penner42
Minimum credit line on the CSR is 10k. The computer seems to want to give you 35k to approve you automatically, so you might have to call in, but you can easily transfer 10k from your CSP to the get the CSR. You have plenty of Chase credit you can move to it, so you should be just fine. Apply. If not automatically approved, call in and have them move $10k from the CSP. Then if you want, when the CSP annual fee posts, downgrade it to a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited.
Not sure if this is true or not.

I was approved for 34k. I SM chase and asked to be lowered to 5k. They sent me an SM a few hours later saying they lowered my credit limit to 5k.

I did this with all my other chase card. SM chase to lower by CL to 5k.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by sosamo

I was approved for 34k. I SM chase and asked to be lowered to 5k. They sent me an SM a few hours later saying they lowered my credit limit to 5k.

Just curious - why would you reduce your CL?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:36 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat

Bad move. Why would you lower your CL? You're supposed to reallocate existing credit lines, if reconsideration asks you to do so. By lowering your CL, you no longer have that credit available to be reallocated.

Originally Posted by neony77
Were you actually able to get the credit agencies remove the AU from you credit report without actually closing the cards?
You cannot get legit entries removed from your credit report, period. You can ask them to ignore those entries for 5/24 purposes and this does not require closing any cards.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by STS-134
Bad move. Why would you lower your CL? You're supposed to reallocate existing credit lines, if reconsideration asks you to do so. By lowering your CL, you no longer have that credit available to be reallocated.
Lol lowering CL is a common strategy buddy..

Due to less overall credit with Chase, this dramatically increases the chance of auto-approval or avoiding having to call in for recon. I would keep one of the cards at $10k however for reallocation purposes if necessary.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by frudd38
Lol lowering CL is a common strategy buddy..

Due to less overall credit with Chase, this dramatically increases the chance of auto-approval or avoiding having to call in for recon. I would keep one of the cards at $10k however for reallocation purposes if necessary.

The question I asked was from somebody that had already been approved for $35k. He then asked them to lower it to $5k. (see post #2754)

Why would somebody ever reduce credit line?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:30 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
The question I asked was from somebody that had already been approved for $35k. He then asked them to lower it to $5k. (see post #2754)

I have definitely reduced the credit line on cards I don't use much, and indeed before applying for the CSR I reduced the CLs on my MPE and MR cards, hoping to increase the odds of an auto-approval. (And I was in fact auto-approved, though I obviously don't know if the CL reductions helped.) But I would never reduce the CL for a card like the CSR to such a low amount. I will easily spend more than $5k in some months on a card that will get most of my hotel and airfare spending. I might have a single charge more than that!
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yup. this is my reason exactly. Hoping for auto approvals.
Note - auto approval is great.

BUT - if for some reason, Chase decides to not increase their exposure to a certain individual, the applicant could be in trouble. The reasons are not always simple why they might do this. You just never know.

Moving credit line from one card to another appears to a simple process with little to no approval required. Yes, the applicant has to call in, but it is easy stuff.

Just another view to those about to apply.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat

Like I said, due to less overall credit with a certain bank, you have more room for more credit, thus auto-approval. This works across most if not all banks basically. Now if you only have a few cards for the particular bank, then you probably don't need to do this. When you're 5+, yes it helps.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 3:08 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by frudd38
Like I said, due to less overall credit with a certain bank, you have more room for more credit, thus auto-approval. This works across most if not all banks basically. Now if you have less than 5 cc's or so for a particular bank, then you probably don't need to do this.
I wouldn't always count on this working. There are a lot of criteria that go into credit decisions and total credit exposure is only one of them. As has been stated before (and hopefully for the last time), it's not that hard to call recon and just ask to have the CL moved if denied.

I never try to reduce my overall credit availability, since you don't have any guarantee of getting it back.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by roundtree
I wouldn't always count on this working. There are a lot of criteria that go into credit decisions and total credit exposure is only one of them. As has been stated before (and hopefully for the last time), it's not that hard to call recon and just ask to have the CL moved if denied.

I never try to reduce my overall credit availability, since you don't have any guarantee of getting it back.
Lowering you credit limits doesn't guarantee you'll be auto-approved but it's a pretty safe bet having too much credit exposure will guarantee auto-denial.

Sure you can call them up and have them reallocate you credit to get approved, but there are times when you definitely want to get auto-approved. A perfect example is when applying for two Southwest cards. I for one would rather not get asked why I need two cards.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Just curious - why would you reduce your CL?
Because it makes it easier to receive an 'instant approval'. YMMV as always. I hate negotiating.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 1:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Also I don't really feel comfortable travelling with a 34k CL. If the card gets compromised the culprits can really go to town for a while. A 10-12k CL stops that activity faster.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Also I don't really feel comfortable travelling with a 34k CL. If the card gets compromised the culprits can really go to town for a while. A 10-12k CL stops that activity faster.
Why bother? Fraud is Chase's problem & liability, not yours. This is the #1 reason I use credit cards over debit cards. I'd rather fight over the bank's money, not mine.

My cards get used all over the place and fraudulent use is quite rare. 2 incidents after 15+ years with credit cards. BOTH were due to vendor data breaches, NOT skimmer / scammer activity. Both issues were easily resolved with a single phone call to the credit card.

My parents did get their CC# skimmed by a restaurant server in Orlando, but this was almost 10 years ago. The bank pro-actively called them when simultaneous charges were showing up for physical stores in 2 states. Again, no muss, no fuss.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oliver2002

This statement makes no sense. You aren't responsible for any fraudulent charges. I'd rather have the peace of mind of having the higher limit if I ever got in a bind. Plus, having a statement close with $4-5K is a much lower ratio on a card with a $34K limit and a $10-12K limit, thus I can spend more without it negatively affecting my FICO scores.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by KRSW
Why bother? Fraud is Chase's problem & liability, not yours. This is the #1 reason I use credit cards over debit cards. I'd rather fight over the bank's money, not mine.

My cards get used all over the place and fraudulent use is quite rare. 2 incidents after 15+ years with credit cards. BOTH were due to vendor data breaches, NOT skimmer / scammer activity. Both issues were easily resolved with a single phone call to the credit card.

My parents did get their CC# skimmed by a restaurant server in Orlando, but this was almost 10 years ago. The bank pro-actively called them when simultaneous charges were showing up for physical stores in 2 states. Again, no muss, no fuss.
Originally Posted by cslovacek
This statement makes no sense. You aren't responsible for any fraudulent charges. I'd rather have the peace of mind of having the higher limit if I ever got in a bind. Plus, having a statement close with $4-5K is a much lower ratio on a card with a $34K limit and a $10-12K limit, thus I can spend more without it negatively affecting my FICO scores.
Good for you, but I often travel far flung corners of the world and when you are are in interior China I can't even check my gmail behind the great firewall. I would rather have the scammers hit the CL and move on...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.