FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Chase Sapphire Reserve [Initial application frenzy] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1787207-chase-sapphire-reserve-initial-application-frenzy.html)

Ratamacue Aug 23, 2016 10:16 am

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 27107525)
Not sure what the hype is for this card. Are there any Visa Infinite benefits above and beyond Visa Signature? I'm looking at this from the perspective of second year when there is no signup bonus.

At least it looks like the car rental protection is better than the CSP card in terms of fewer model restrictions (eg luxury models does not appear to be excluded).

This review boils it down well. They even have a convenient affiliate link. :rolleyes:

NoStressHere Aug 23, 2016 10:18 am

Originally Posted by OliverB (Post 27107631)
Darn, that's expensive.

I need to add 2 AUs which would be a total of $600 per year in fees....

Why do you need AU's?

Since you are thinking of a different alternative to paying the AU $75 each, why not do that for the AU's?

I assume your AU's can not get their own cards.

OliverB Aug 23, 2016 10:19 am

Originally Posted by paperwastage (Post 27107649)
look at Citi Prestige+CSP instead and compare

(or Citi Prestige+CSR)

I already have the CSP. I'm only drawn to the CSR for the added UR earnings and obvious bonus incentive. The 4K min. would've been spend regardless so it's a no brainer to apply. I'm just not sure yet whether it's worth keeping past the second AF. I'm going to hang on to my CSP for a while before deciding which card to drop.

OliverB Aug 23, 2016 10:23 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 27107664)
I assume your AU's can not get their own cards.

Exactly; rebuilding credit. It's more cost efficient to pay the AU fees annually than to hold separate cards with the high annual fees anyhow. I guess I'm just used to paying no AF for AUs with the CSP, which has spoiled us. I suppose I can get away with only adding a single AU on the new CSR, even if it's slightly inconvenient for our purposes. I'll keep the CSP for now and evaluate whether the 3x UR earn makes up for the inflated costs before the next AF rolls around.

phant0m Aug 23, 2016 10:25 am

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 27107525)
Not sure what the hype is for this card. Are there any Visa Infinite benefits above and beyond Visa Signature? I'm looking at this from the perspective of second year when there is no signup bonus.

At least it looks like the car rental protection is better than the CSP card in terms of fewer model restrictions (eg luxury models does not appear to be excluded).

Very broad 3x on travel and dining that includes international.

paperwastage Aug 23, 2016 10:26 am

Originally Posted by OliverB (Post 27107669)
I already have the CSP. I'm only drawn to the CSR for the added UR earnings and obvious bonus incentive. The 4K min. would've been spend regardless so it's a no brainer to apply. I'm just not sure yet whether it's worth keeping past the second AF. I'm going to hang on to my CSP for a while before deciding which card to drop.

realistically, CSR is $55 more than CSP

plus $75/AU, so (CSP upgraded to CSR) = $55+$75*2 = $205 for Priority pass, 3x points (and signup bonus). but this means each AU gets their own priority pass

(CSP+) citi prestige is realistically $150, which gets you priority pass + 2 guests. you have to travel with the guests to get priority pass (or pay $50/AU for AU to get their own priority pass+2 guests)

i'm going to point to CSR

Ratamacue Aug 23, 2016 10:26 am

Appears that PP is extended to traveling companions: image link.

smurov Aug 23, 2016 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Ratamacue (Post 27107703)

Curious if they actually mean guests or companions as in authorized users. My money's on AU.

roundtree Aug 23, 2016 10:30 am

I think this assumes that your guests pay $27/entry, like the regular PP. Certainly, this is the one aspect of the CSR that seems to have little info beyond confirmation of PP Select and the AU getting their own cards.

Ratamacue Aug 23, 2016 10:31 am

Originally Posted by smurov (Post 27107726)
Curious if they actually mean guests or companions as in authorized users. My money's on AU.

You could very well be correct. The language is less than crystal clear.

hsmama Aug 23, 2016 10:34 am

wondering if it's a fools errand to try applying right now when there's a frenzy....maybe things will settle down by next week as far as approvals etc(?) maybe?

dw Aug 23, 2016 10:37 am

I find the language of "Once a member, you and your travel companions can enjoy complimentary lounge access" promising regarding guests.

After all, who says that an AU is going to be one traveling with the primary cardholder?

bgriff Aug 23, 2016 10:38 am

PP Select is what is available to US credit card issuers. It used to exclude United Clubs because United didn't want Amex Platinum cardholders having access. Now United Clubs have left PP altogether so I don't think there's any difference between Select and any other kind of PP.

Ratamacue Aug 23, 2016 10:45 am

Originally Posted by dw (Post 27107774)
I find the language of "Once a member, you and your travel companions can enjoy complimentary lounge access" promising regarding guests.

After all, who says that an AU is going to be one traveling with the primary cardholder?

Just got off the phone with Chase CS on their brand spanking new CSR line pictured here.
Bottom line, they're not sure. Guy actually suggested just walking in with your companions like you own the place. :p

yOyOYoo Aug 23, 2016 10:49 am

Originally Posted by slivrflyr (Post 27107533)
Automated line now says 7-10.

Originally the website said 7-10. Then the phone has been saying two weeks. Now it's 7-10.

Every pending Chase app says "7-10 days"

But when the automated line says "7-10 days" it's likely a denial :(