FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Chase Sapphire Reserve [Initial application frenzy] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1787207-chase-sapphire-reserve-initial-application-frenzy.html)

jayb5635 Aug 28, 2016 9:58 pm

Hey all, I applied for the CSR on Friday afternoon. I was preapproved and am at 8/24. Went to pending, and when I call the automated line it gives me the 30 day message. Do you guys think I should just wait it out? I have been afraid to call recon since I figured it would alert someone to me being well past 5/24

Pochama Aug 28, 2016 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by jayb5635 (Post 27132739)
Hey all, I applied for the CSR on Friday afternoon. I was preapproved and am at 8/24. Went to pending, and when I call the automated line it gives me the 30 day message. Do you guys think I should just wait it out? I have been afraid to call recon since I figured it would alert someone to me being well past 5/24

Definitely wait it out.

pianistat Aug 28, 2016 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Coldmode (Post 27132611)
I'm at just over 60% after being approved for the minimum (10k) for CSR.

I am at 73% now after automatic approval for 10K CSR. Is 10k really the minimum?

STS-134 Aug 28, 2016 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by pianistat (Post 27132870)
I am at 73% now after automatic approval for 10K CSR. Is 10k really the minimum?

10k is the minimum for any Visa Infinite card, and the CSR is a Visa Infinite.

yugi Aug 28, 2016 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 27130624)
Speaking of combining points, would I be able to move all my UR to the CSR before receiving the card, or would I need to wait until after getting it?

I already moved points to CSR and booked a car using points at 1.5c each, without having a card in hand.

op487062 Aug 29, 2016 1:29 am

Originally Posted by serpens (Post 27132268)
I would be interested, too, but I wonder why you didn't post your information, since you apparently needed to rebalance. Or did I misunderstand the question?

CL (personal/business cards) is about 35% of gross income. When I called recon, the rep explained they were waiting for approval of add'l $20k--instead they just redistributed other credit it seems.

Mtek Aug 29, 2016 6:27 am

double post

Mtek Aug 29, 2016 6:33 am

I was at 6/24, with the 6th card falling off in late October. Based on the buzz of the card and the potential for the 100K not lasting, I jumped the gun and applied Friday night, got a "further review" notice
Just talked with a Credit analyst this morning, I was denied for too many cards in last 24 months. I pointed out that the 2 of the cards were business cards and not for my personnel use. She stated they showed as revolving credit and she could not tell if they were business accounts or not. I asked for clarification if I needed to be below 5 or at 5 to get approval in the future and she stated she couldn't answer that.
Oh well, here's hoping it last.
On the other hand, although I'm only a 4 year veteran of this game I find it insulting that Chase has chosen to slow my progress in getting rewards because of this stupid 5/25 rule, I may wait the 7-8 weeks to get the CSR but after that I may abandon the Chase cards altogether

bgallthat1 Aug 29, 2016 6:47 am

I Just got the Reserve. I have the Preferred, with the annual fee hitting on 5/1/16. Has anyone been able to get their fee refunded past 60 days, and if so what's best way to do this? I want to downgrade from Preferred to a different card.

PaceLaw2012 Aug 29, 2016 7:11 am

Another Datapoint for card arrival; Applied/approved on the evening of the 23rd, got UPS notification for delivery today.

NoStressHere Aug 29, 2016 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Mtek (Post 27133880)
.... I find it insulting that Chase has chosen to slow my progress in getting rewards because of this stupid 5/25 rule, I may wait the 7-8 weeks to get the CSR but after that I may abandon the Chase cards altogether

Insulting?

I think it is a very smart move on their part. After all, why does anyone need so many cards?

Their goal is to get customers to use their cards, not give out rewards. They really are just looking for people to get a card, get the bonus and then move to another card. Repeat, rinse, etc.

Mtek Aug 29, 2016 8:10 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 27134049)
Insulting?

I think it is a very smart move on their part. After all, why does anyone need so many cards?

Their goal is to get customers to use their cards, not give out rewards. They really are just looking for people to get a card, get the bonus and then move to another card. Repeat, rinse, etc.

There's 4 or 5 banking/financial institutions that generate business with credit cards.
All individuals are solely responsible for their utilization of credit, regardless of type.
If responsible people can handle credit properly and 4 other institutions don't have a set number of cards you can have why is Chase deeming 5 too many.

Also keep in mind this is a bank that needed a 25 billion dollar buyout to stay afloat in 2008, maybe we as Americans should have limited them to 5 Billion ... because 25 is too many :D

jnb_tx Aug 29, 2016 8:25 am

Originally Posted by pianistat (Post 27131762)
For those interested in reselling gift cards that likely will label as "Travel" category, here is my research of best resell value w/out dealing with ebay.
Norwegian is not accepted, but others are. $100 is the maximum they accept.

I would caution anyone against using ABC/Card Cash to sell gift cards. I have had three separate issues with them now, the most recent they just "lost" a $50 physical gift card and refused to do anything about it. I know it was there because I taped them all together and photographed each card for my records. Basically they stole $50 from me. Of course, YMMV, but don't say I didn't warn ya.

dmodemd Aug 29, 2016 8:29 am

In order to maximize my approval chances, I applied in-branch with my Private Client banker. She put in the application and it went to pending review. That was 4pm Pacific on a Friday. I called the re-con line Sunday evening and was surprised they were available. The girl on the line said she would work the further underwriting work it needed while I waited. I was asked some questions, most were confirming what was on the application about income, home ownership, employer. It took about 20 minutes but after all that she said she had to send it to be reviewed by a senior underwriter to check her work. I tried to get any clues as to what the concerns were and she said it was not credit exposure (I had reduced some credit lines in preparation) just some normal due diligence. I was right at 5/24 across Chase/Citi cards if that had anything to do with it.

I asked for expedited shipping and she said they cannot do that due to the popularity of the card. I mentioned that many others had gotten it and she said they just cannot do that (even as a Private Client).

dyrewolf Aug 29, 2016 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Mtek (Post 27134254)

Also keep in mind this is a bank that needed a 25 billion dollar buyout to stay afloat in 2008, maybe we as Americans should have limited them to 5 Billion ... because 25 is too many :D

Actually Chase was one of the healthiest banks in 2008. Recall that they took Bear Stearns and WAMU off the governments hands (those were insolvent institutions) JP also fully repaid the full bailout... so whatever taxpayer assistance they got (whether or not it would have been needed absent the Bear and WAMU transactions) was fully repaid.

You may think the 5/24 is silly... or not. You are responsible for your use of credit but the issuing institution in on the hook for what they lend you (a lesson learned in 2008).. but tying the 5/24 rule to TARP is pretty much a red herring

Anyway, that is thread drift for my first post. I applied and was approved on 8/23 at about noon, I was 1/24 and a CPC... not really a points hound but this was too good to pass up... no UPS notification yet :-(

Now that I joined this forum I look forward to tips from the pros on how to get the best value for the points