Search

Ritz vs CSR for earning Marriott/RC rewards

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Ritz Carlton Rewards,
Ritz vs CSR for earning Marriott/RC rewards

Hey everyone,
long-time lurker, decided to make an account and post because I'd like some input on my CC strategy. I currently hold the Delta Amex Reserve and Delta Medallion status since Delta is my preferred airline, the Chase Sapphire Preferred and the Ritz Carlton Rewards card.

With the release of the new Chase Sapphire Reserve, I've started to consider my credit card portfolio/spending, and have started questioning what may need to change. The most important benefit of having Chase cards to me is the hotel program rewards. I usually stay in Marriotts/RCs and rarely stay anywhere else. Plus, with the acquisition of SPG, the Marriott network will become stronger over time than it is already.

So my question is, is there any scenario in which having the CSR could outweigh the benefits of having the Ritz Carlton card in the context of earning Marriott Rewards points, and would it be worth a switch from the Ritz to the CSR?

I cannot justify having 3 $450 AF cards personally, so if I decide to get the CSR, the Ritz will be downgraded to the Marriott Card, and the CSP will be downgraded to the Freedom Unlimited.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by mjb59463
Hey everyone,
long-time lurker, decided to make an account and post because I'd like some input on my CC strategy. I currently hold the Delta Amex Reserve and Delta Medallion status since Delta is my preferred airline, the Chase Sapphire Preferred and the Ritz Carlton Rewards card.

With the release of the new Chase Sapphire Reserve, I've started to consider my credit card portfolio/spending, and have started questioning what may need to change. The most important benefit of having Chase cards to me is the hotel program rewards. I usually stay in Marriotts/RCs and rarely stay anywhere else. Plus, with the acquisition of SPG, the Marriott network will become stronger over time than it is already.

So my question is, is there any scenario in which having the CSR could outweigh the benefits of having the Ritz Carlton card in the context of earning Marriott Rewards points, and would it be worth a switch from the Ritz to the CSR?

I cannot justify having 3 $450 AF cards personally, so if I decide to get the CSR, the Ritz will be downgraded to the Marriott Card, and the CSP will be downgraded to the Freedom Unlimited.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.
I am not that familiar with the RC, but one thing you are missing is the RC has the Visa Infinite benefit of $100 airline credit per booking when booking thru their website. CSR does not have this benefit even though it is also a Visa Infinite card.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewYorker545
I am not that familiar with the RC, but one thing you are missing is the RC has the Visa Infinite benefit of $100 airline credit per booking when booking thru their website. CSR does not have this benefit even though it is also a Visa Infinite card.
Thanks for the information! I've never booked flights through Chase's portal or used UR for them, but a per-booking $100 dollar credit could certianly add up nicely. Might have to start doing that.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:14 pm

Thanks for the information! I've never booked flights through Chase's portal or used UR for them, but a per-booking $100 dollar credit could certianly add up nicely. Might have to start doing that.
See this thread re $100 airfare discount:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ax-others.html

Don't think so in the context of earning MR points.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
Don't think so in the context of earning MR points.
yup, RC card is better, if you care only about RC points

RC card earns 5.5x RC points on RC rooms, 2.2 RC points on flights
CSR card earns 3x UR on RC rooms or flights, which transfers 1:1 to RC points
(this is on top of the 10x points that you earn via the RC rewards program when paying for RC rooms)

CSR, you get a 50% bonus when redeeming via UR Portal (flights/hotel).... 3x -> 4.5x

1 RC point is about 0.9 cents according to other people, so 5.5x RC points is better 3x UR(if you transfer to RC program, or redeem via UR Portal)

If you fly enough, maybe you earn more on CSR? How much spend do you actually put on the Delta Reserve card? (to qualify for MQM/MQD?)
I believe Delta Reserve card doesn't offer trip delay/interruption/cancellation, which might be something to think about

Last edited by paperwastage; Aug 22, 2016 at 1:43 pm
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage
yup, RC card is better, if you care only about RC points

RC card earns 5.5x RC points on RC rooms, 2x2 RC points on flights
CSR card earns 3x UR on RC rooms or flights, which transfers 1:1 to RC points
(this is on top of the 10x points that you earn via the RC rewards program when paying for RC rooms)

CSR, you get a 50% bonus when redeeming via UR Portal (flights/hotel).... 3x -> 4.5x

1 RC point is about 0.9 cents according to other people, so 5.5x RC points is better 3x UR(if you transfer to RC program, or redeem via UR Portal)

If you fly enough, maybe you earn more on CSR? How much spend do you actually put on the Delta Reserve card? (to qualify for MQM/MQD?)
I believe Delta Reserve card doesn't offer trip delay/interruption/cancellation, which might be something to think about
I've put around 17k on my Delta Reserve card so far this year. I've run a fair amount of regular everyday spending through it as well, not all of it has been flights.

I'm sure I could be rewarded more on some of those charges with the CSR, but the Delta Reserve bonus for MQM's and getting the mqd waiver is my primary goal.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:43 pm

one more thing... RC card AF is "realistically" $100 ($399 AF - $300 travel credit)

CSR AF is "realistically" $150 ($450 AF - $300 travel credit)

Delta Reserve AF is $450. with a companion cert
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:47 pm

one more thing... RC card AF is "realistically" $100 ($399 AF - $300 travel credit)
RC AF is $450
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

CSR AF is "realistically" $150 ($450 AF - $300 travel credit)

Delta Reserve AF is $450. with a companion cert
RC was 450 now too I thought?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:53 pm

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...arlton-rewards

go complain... i see $395 here (yeah, its $450

either way, AF seems large, but it really isn't

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.