Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton Visa Infinite - closed for applications 7.26.2018 (2016-2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Ritz-Carlton Rewards Visa Infinite (closed to new applications)

All card offers are dead as of 7/26/18.

Information still available on the Chase SITE.

The previous version of this card was discussed HERE.

(Expired) New Card Bonus ($4,000 spending): Two free night certificates good at any Ritz Carlton (Marriott) properties up to 60,000 points (possible to book any SPG properties later)
(old: at any tier 1-4 Ritz Carlton Hotel after $4k spend).
current offer (dead): https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/rit...n/naepredirect
  • Annual fee of $450 NOT waived.
  • 6 points per dollar at Marriott properties, including SPGs and Ritz-Carltons. (same as all Chase & AmEx Marriott cards)
  • 3 points per dollar at restaurants, car rental companies and airline tickets purchased directly from airlines
  • 2 points per dollar on all other purchases (same as all Chase & AmEx Marriott cards)
  • Annual (anniversary) free night award good at any Marriott (including Ritz) property up to 50,000 MRs.
  • Automatic Marriott Gold Status.
  • Marriott Platinum Status after $75,000 card spending in a card-member year.
  • $100 companion airfare discount booked through Visa Infinite website.
  • $100 statement credit for Global Entry after the Global Entry program application fee is charged to an eligible card.
  • $300 Annual (calendar) Travel Credit "Only the following types of non-ticket purchases qualify for this offer: airline lounge day pass, or towards a yearly lounge membership of your choice; airline seat upgrades; airline baggage fees; in-flight Internet/entertainment; in-flight meals."
  • Three (3) Ritz Carlton Club Level upgrade certificates each year for up to 7 nights each stay. The stays must be paid stays, excluding point redemption and award night.
  • Troon Rewards and PRIVÉ ACCESS golf benefits
  • $100 credit for qualifying dining, spa or other hotel recreational activities. Use the credit with any paid stay at The Ritz-Carlton of two nights or more OR get a $100 hotel credit per stay at all Marriott luxury properties. Advance reservations are required. Valid only on non-discounted rates. Cannot be combined with any packages, discounts, negotiated corporate or group rates or point-redemption bookings.

Things qualifying/not qualifying under $300 annual travel credit
one member wrote: AA is now showing gift cards as "giftcard" rather than general purchase if the csr looks closely. Last year it worked for me, yesterday it did not and csr told me that's why. However, later the same day I also requested the credit by Secure Message (for "baggage fees) and it was approved. Very YMMV now but still doable. 2/10/2017

Southwest Airlines GCs work fairly easily. I've generally bought them for $150 and said they're excess baggage fees.

Frequent Miler has a collection of data points of what has worked in the past. Link

Print Wikipost

Ritz-Carlton Visa Infinite - closed for applications 7.26.2018 (2016-2021)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2020, 1:11 pm

People are also forgetting the fact that this card used to come with NO annual free night before 2018, and the annual free night was ADDED in 2018 with no increase in fee (previously fee increase was in 2016).

Hardly a con, when the benefit was added for free.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 5:34 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by ckpeter
People are also forgetting the fact that this card used to come with NO annual free night before 2018, and the annual free night was ADDED in 2018 with no increase in fee (previously fee increase was in 2016).

Hardly a con, when the benefit was added for free.
Well some of us signed up for the card in 2018...

The overall value proposition works for me:
$450 annual fee is offset by
a)$300 credit (last year paid for part of an AS BR membership, this year Safeway) value=$300
b)A 50k certificate which this year paid for an $800 room* (*=without this card there is no way I would have paid $800 to stay at that hotel, maybe $300.) value=$300
c) Priority Pass card that works everywhere and has unlimited guests 2019 value = $200
d) Amazing customer service value=$200

For me I'd say the proposition is $450 in fees that bring at least $600 in value without traveling.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 8:28 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
So am I the only person who wishes we could just receive 50k points each year vs a 50k certificate?

It seems like most luxury properties are 60k, and it feels bad using a 50k certificate for a 35k night...
I am okay with a cert as long as it can be "topped off" with additional points for properties over the predetermined value of the cert. I understand why certs are awarded instead of points, but with implementation of peak level awards, these certs are becoming more difficult to use even at "fair" values.

LAX
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 3:46 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Adam1222
​​​​​​It's not a "con". You just wish they had different benefits. But the cost of the card would probably go up. There are plenty of luxury properties you can use 50k certs at. If they could be used at all properties costing $650 a night regularly, the card would cost more.
I'm not saying that the RC Rewards card is a "con," I like it and think the card offers good value overall, and perhaps "con" is not the right word, but it is a luxury card and true luxury properties are categories 7 and 8 (though you can find some luxury properties at category 6 as well), so at a bare minimum, I think the value of the FNA should be 60,000 points, which would give you standard access to category 7 hotels that can now only be accessed off-peak at 50,000 points (good luck finding that). Ultimately, like the Hilton Aspire, I think the FNA should be uncapped for a luxury card. In that sense, as a luxury card, I think it falls short in the free night award category by making it difficult to use the FNA at a cat 7 or 8 property. That's what I meant by "con," that it's not fully delivering the goods in this area. It's holding back, in my view. Also, the Hilton Aspire manages to offer an uncapped FNA while maintaining a $450 AF, so I don't see why the card would need to cost more.

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; Oct 7, 2020 at 3:49 am Reason: Add information
Old Oct 7, 2020, 5:47 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
I'm not saying that the RC Rewards card is a "con," I like it and think the card offers good value overall, and perhaps "con" is not the right word, but it is a luxury card and true luxury properties are categories 7 and 8 (though you can find some luxury properties at category 6 as well), so at a bare minimum, I think the value of the FNA should be 60,000 points, which would give you standard access to category 7 hotels that can now only be accessed off-peak at 50,000 points (good luck finding that). Ultimately, like the Hilton Aspire, I think the FNA should be uncapped for a luxury card. In that sense, as a luxury card, I think it falls short in the free night award category by making it difficult to use the FNA at a cat 7 or 8 property. That's what I meant by "con," that it's not fully delivering the goods in this area. It's holding back, in my view. Also, the Hilton Aspire manages to offer an uncapped FNA while maintaining a $450 AF, so I don't see why the card would need to cost more.
"Con" has a meaning. That meaning doesn't apply.
As pointed out above, there are other benefits that this card has that the Aspire doesn't. (Is it a "con" that the airline fee benefit on the Aspire isn't as generous as the RC travel benefit? Or that it's priority pass benefit isn't as valuable? Or that you don't get as good customer service?) Of course the bank *could* give you more without increasing costs by simply cutting its profit. But it's not a "con" that you wish you got more/different benefits without being charged for them. The annual fee covers a basket of benefits. Not any one.

Perhaps the card has less value to you because you want to stay at more expensive properties for free than this card allows you to. That doesn't mean the bank has done anything wrong or should do anything differently. It means you don't like the set of benefits that comes with this card.
​​​​​
​the bank never said you could get a free night at any luxury property. You think you should. That isn't a con by the bank, but you thinking you should get something no one has ever offered you.

​​​​​​
Old Oct 7, 2020, 7:52 am

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
"Con" has a meaning. That meaning doesn't apply.
As pointed out above, there are other benefits that this card has that the Aspire doesn't. (Is it a "con" that the airline fee benefit on the Aspire isn't as generous as the RC travel benefit? Or that it's priority pass benefit isn't as valuable? Or that you don't get as good customer service?) Of course the bank *could* give you more without increasing costs by simply cutting its profit. But it's not a "con" that you wish you got more/different benefits without being charged for them. The annual fee covers a basket of benefits. Not any one.
Perhaps the card has less value to you because you want to stay at more expensive properties for free than this card allows you to. That doesn't mean the bank has done anything wrong or should do anything differently. It means you don't like the set of benefits that comes with this card.​the bank never said you could get a free night at any luxury property. You think you should. That isn't a con by the bank, but you thinking you should get something no one has ever offered you.​ the bank never said you could get a free night at any luxury property. You think you should. That isn't a con by the bank, but you thinking you should get something no one has ever offered you.

​​​​​​
Triggered much? Do you work for JP Morgan? No, it doesn't mean that "you don't like the set of benefits that comes with this card." You're getting irrational, I already stated that overall, I like the value the card provides. It's just that it's a luxury card and doesn't offer a luxury hotel benefit. It's that one benefit that I think is lacking, so don't put words in my mouth. Sure, there are benefit trade-offs, but don't forget that the RC card also dropped the $100 flight reservation credit which could be used repeatedly about a year ago, which was a significant benefit.

If you've been on this board for a while, how do you put up with people's complaints about card benefits and suggestions for improving them? Must be painful for you to read. As I said, "con" may not be the most appropriate word, but no need to get triggered by it. Why don't you get a job at JP Morgan to tell customers why they shouldn't want any more benefits than they are already receiving?
Old Oct 7, 2020, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Well some of us signed up for the card in 2018...

The overall value proposition works for me:
$450 annual fee is offset by
a)$300 credit (last year paid for part of an AS BR membership, this year Safeway) value=$300
b)A 50k certificate which this year paid for an $800 room* (*=without this card there is no way I would have paid $800 to stay at that hotel, maybe $300.) value=$300
c) Priority Pass card that works everywhere and has unlimited guests 2019 value = $200
d) Amazing customer service value=$200

For me I'd say the proposition is $450 in fees that bring at least $600 in value without traveling.
Works for me too. I'm not sure why people are latching on to my complaint about one benefit to imply that I don't like the card.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 9:07 am

Triggered much? Do you work for JP Morgan? No, it doesn't mean that "you don't like the set of benefits that comes with this card." You're getting irrational, I already stated that overall, I like the value the card provides. It's just that it's a luxury card and doesn't offer a luxury hotel benefit. It's that one benefit that I think is lacking, so don't put words in my mouth. Sure, there are benefit trade-offs, but don't forget that the RC card also dropped the $100 flight reservation credit which could be used repeatedly about a year ago, which was a significant benefit.

If you've been on this board for a while, how do you put up with people's complaints about card benefits and suggestions for improving them? Must be painful for you to read. As I said, "con" may not be the most appropriate word, but no need to get triggered by it. Why don't you get a job at JP Morgan to tell customers why they shouldn't want any more benefits than they are already receiving?
I do not work for Chase or any other bank. to the contrary, I work to protect people who are actually conned by financial services providers and other predatory institutions. I'm not sure why you turned to this into a personal attack.

I did not realize you were fully retracting your use of con, since you repeated it again in your post after saying it wasn't the "best" word. Saying
That's what I meant by "con," that it's not fully delivering the goods in this area.
. I could say you are fluffernutter, and then say "that's what I meant by fluffernutter, that you are six foot tall", and that wouldn't be any more reasonable.
​​
I'm sorry you don't like my response to your post and disagree with the points you made, and that it seems to have upset you.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 10:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....category 7 hotels that can now only be accessed off-peak at 50,000 points (good luck finding that).....
Originally Posted by LAX
I am okay with a cert as long as it can be "topped off" with additional points
Prices balance demand with supply. The higher price for peak redemptions reflects the reality that demand exceeds the supply of reward nights at those properties. Increasing the value of the certificates to 60,000 points (or allowing additional points to be used to "top up" a certificate) would diminish the effectiveness of the price increase. Instead of complaining about the value of the certificate we would be whining about lack of availability.

In any event, this is not a luxury card. It's a discontinued product that failed to achieve Marriott's objectives. Even if Marriott decided to increase the value of the certificate bundled with Bonvoy Brilliant, I would not expect a parallel change on this card. It's a dead end.

Last edited by mia; Oct 7, 2020 at 11:13 am
Old Oct 7, 2020, 12:20 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
Prices balance demand with supply. The higher price for peak redemptions reflects the reality that demand exceeds the supply of reward nights at those properties. Increasing the value of the certificates to 60,000 points (or allowing additional points to be used to "top up" a certificate) would diminish the effectiveness of the price increase. Instead of complaining about the value of the certificate we would be whining about lack of availability.

In any event, this is not a luxury card. It's a discontinued product that failed to achieve Marriott's objectives. Even if Marriott decided to increase the value of the certificate bundled with Bonvoy Brilliant, I would not expect a parallel change on this card. It's a dead end.
Like I mentioned in my post, I understand why certs are issued instead of points and that certs are capped at certain levels. I just wish there is some flexibility by allowing the certs be topped off, which would obviously go against the intent of issuing certs rather than points. I wasn't really complaining, though.

LAX
Old Oct 8, 2020, 6:08 am

With the sale this week making most properties available at off-peak prices, you can book more luxury properties with the 50k FNAs. Voila.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I agree with you that any positive change to this card is unlikely to yield a parallel change to this card. I'm not sure if one could say that it failed to achieve Marriott's objectives, since Marriott chose to give the premium segment of their business to Amex, though one could argue that Marriott may have reconsidered if this card had been more popular.

Personally, Marriott probably gets more money from Amex and Chase combined than by having all cards under a single bank, though Hilton chose to ditch Citi and give everything to Amex, so Marriott may change direction in the future.

If Chase tried to make this card more luxurious, they may run the risk of upsetting Amex, since Marriott awarded them the premium segment of the business.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 4:03 pm

With the sale this week making most properties available at off-peak prices, you can book more luxury properties with the 50k FNAs. Voila.
You mean this one?

"Week of Wonders is here—seven days of awe, exclusively for members. To celebrate, you can redeem free nights for up to 33% fewer points, now through October 15. All you have to do is decide where to redeem."

Not sure what "wonders" they're talking about but all properties I want to stay at next summer are still at high peak "60k" for Cat 6 for the dates I want. All these properties were 35k just a year ago before Marriott introduced their off peak pricing, you know, for customer "flexibility" and "satisfaction". I called to find out if there's any way I can use my Ritz 50k award cert, and the answer was a No. They did offer me a discount on buying more Marriott points though, cause you know, there's no stronger currency to invest in for future travel than Marriott points.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 4:41 pm

You misunderstood. The promotion is for stays in oct and nov, not next summer.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by DjRocket
You mean this one?

"Week of Wonders is here—seven days of awe, exclusively for members. To celebrate, you can redeem free nights for up to 33% fewer points, now through October 15. All you have to do is decide where to redeem."

Not sure what "wonders" they're talking about but all properties I want to stay at next summer are still at high peak "60k" for Cat 6 for the dates I want. All these properties were 35k just a year ago before Marriott introduced their off peak pricing, you know, for customer "flexibility" and "satisfaction". I called to find out if there's any way I can use my Ritz 50k award cert, and the answer was a No. They did offer me a discount on buying more Marriott points though, cause you know, there's no stronger currency to invest in for future travel than Marriott points.
As noted, you seem not to have read the terms of the promotion. This is for specified dates for fall travel- through November 30. If you want to use your Ritz 50k award certificate for this promotion, you certainly can. There are JWs, Ritzes, etc. If you want to make your own promotion, you cannot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.