FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1780623-new-chase-sapphire-reserve-card-pre-release-speculation.html)

jediwho Jul 26, 2016 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 26970313)
I think the market for Global Entry reimbursements is approaching saturation. This would be a "me too" benefit, which probably no longer costs much to offer, but isn't likely to sway people who are otherwise undecided about a new card.

I think Chase is too invested in hotel partner cards to undermine it with a benefit which undercuts the prices available to Hyatt, IHG, Marriott/Ritz cardholders. (I also think Chase's relationship with three direct competitors is unsustainable, and they they will lose one, but that's another thread.)

I agree on undermining existing relationships as well as four relationships not sustainable (including Fairmont), doesn't Amex Plat give you SPG Gold status with Platinum but not with Amex SPG card?

rgAAFT Jul 26, 2016 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by cambridgeguy (Post 26972863)
That anniversary bonus only makes sense for chase if it's tied to a high annual spend. Since one UR point is worth one cent it doesn't make a lick of sense to offer 300-500 dollars back on top of an initial sign up bonus that will be worth at least 1000 dollars.

it may seem simple, but thats where the market is going.....

jediwho Jul 26, 2016 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by senzer (Post 26970196)
Do you think a 4th night free type of arrangement + Global Entry or something would convert you?

I have had Prestige for 2+ years and have never used the 4th night free for three reasons: I try and max out FHR as much as possible, use hotel points for free stays and whenever I can get the 5th night free, and third is user Rocketmile or other sites for getting miles and getting equal to fourth night free. GE -- I have three cards that offer it.

This card would need to give something unique and possible also highly sought after. Like status miles with United, or lounge access to United and BA besides Priority access, and or combine the rewards of Freedom, Freedom Unlimited and Sapphire for rewards. So, unlimited 1.5x UR + 5x every quarter on $1,500 spending and 3x rewards on travel. That would be a killer. They could also add top status with all four hotels that they partner if you spend $100K in a year.

NYCRuss Jul 26, 2016 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by rgAAFT (Post 26972894)
it may seem simple, but thats where the market is going.....

What examples are there of annual bonuses equal to, or greater than, the annual fee?

ralphs Jul 26, 2016 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by NYCRuss (Post 26972933)
What examples are there of annual bonuses equal to, or greater than, the annual fee?

Chase IHG and Chase Hyatt spring to mind.

NYCRuss Jul 26, 2016 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by ralphs (Post 26972943)
Chase IHG and Chase Hyatt spring to mind.

Sorry for not being clear. I meant in terms of points.

TMM1982 Jul 26, 2016 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by NYCRuss (Post 26972949)
Sorry for not being clear. I meant in terms of points.

Virgin Atlantic 15k annual points.

steve4 Jul 26, 2016 6:00 pm

I think this new card might resemble the current Prestige card by providing:

1)United Club access - Restricted to only when flying United

2) 3X on travel, 2X on dining, 1X everything else

3)Global Entry credit

4)Fine Hotels and Resorts

5)Annual Airline Credit (Not sure how much)

I'm not sure if it will provide the complimentary 4th night.

mia Jul 26, 2016 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by jediwho (Post 26972868)
... doesn't Amex Plat give you SPG Gold status with Platinum but not with Amex SPG card?

American Express Platinum gives both Hilton and Starwood Gold status. The SPG credit card gives Gold with a $30,000 annual spend requirement, and also awards stays/nights toward elite status.

maxim730 Jul 26, 2016 7:12 pm

Hoping it includes some lounge access.. then I'm in!

slivrflyr Jul 26, 2016 8:20 pm

how likely would this card offer any Star Alliance lounge access? Probably not, right?

So those of us who fly on UA+partners still need to keep United Club if we want lounge access abroad.

jediwho Jul 26, 2016 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by steve4 (Post 26973033)
I think this new card might resemble the current Prestige card by providing:

1)United Club access - Restricted to only when flying United

2) 3X on travel, 2X on dining, 1X everything else

3)Global Entry credit

4)Fine Hotels and Resorts

5)Annual Airline Credit (Not sure how much)

I'm not sure if it will provide the complimentary 4th night.

FHR is an Amex program. Visa has something similar that is offered to all their Signature cardholders as well as Infinity cardholders but is nowhere nearly as good.

United747 Jul 26, 2016 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by jediwho (Post 26973693)
FHR is an Amex program. Visa has something similar that is offered to all their Signature cardholders as well as Infinity cardholders but is nowhere nearly as good.

Chase also has a luxury hotel program very similar to FHR.
Luxury Hotels and Resorts Collection

krazykanuck Jul 26, 2016 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by slivrflyr (Post 26973608)
how likely would this card offer any Star Alliance lounge access? Probably not, right?

My guess is not likely. It would probably follow the UA Club card access rules, IMO.

r.brown Jul 27, 2016 9:41 am

Originally Posted by NYCRuss (Post 26972933)

Southwest Premier credit card for one. $99 annual fee and nets you 6000 points every year.

I just did a quick search and a $98 ticket is 5618 points.

Take out the $5.60 TSA fee and you end up with $92.40 for 5618 points.