FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1780623-new-chase-sapphire-reserve-card-pre-release-speculation.html)

jediwho Jul 27, 2016 10:33 am

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 26968836)
Visa Infinite perhaps? City National's card has that so it wouldn't be totally unprecedented.

What is the big difference between Infinite and Signature?

cambridgeguy Jul 27, 2016 12:08 pm

Southwest Premier credit card for one. $99 annual fee and nets you 6000 points every year.

I just did a quick search and a $98 ticket is 5618 points.

Take out the $5.60 TSA fee and you end up with $92.40 for 5618 points.
It's true that some programs have an anniversary "present" (points, free night at hotel, etc.) that end up being worth more than the annual fee when compared to the actual cost of the present if purchased separately. However, that will still make some users spend money they might not have ordinarily spent (can't waste that free night, after all). I haven't heard of any bonuses that can be straight up exchanged for cash back that are comparable in amount to the annual fee. That would give users all of the perks of an elite card at the medium tier price and make the medium tier card (sapphire, in this case) pointless.

tmiw Jul 27, 2016 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by jediwho (Post 26976227)
What is the big difference between Infinite and Signature?

Visa Infinite is still rare in the US but City National's card seems to lay out the Infinite-specific benefits pretty well.

BuBu4 Jul 27, 2016 3:15 pm

hopefully its got some premium stuff on it. I was originally planning on getting a Citi Prestige and keeping that one but now that that offer is down the drain, i probably plan to get another card...

Currently, have a CSP but the Citi premier seems to be a lot better than CSP...

hopefully this card will be good!

hdfdisk Jul 27, 2016 5:11 pm

Personally I think UA club access + 3x travel, and other stays the same as CSP would be enough to sway my vote.
International lounge I can always access with *G gold...

Troopers Jul 27, 2016 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by hdfdisk (Post 26978181)
Personally I think UA club access + 3x travel, and other stays the same as CSP would be enough to sway my vote...

Forget the UA club access and higher earning per $/spent, there are Chase cards that provide for that. Give me higher redemption such as 2.0cpp redeemed on all airines such as the MC luxury gold.

KAFlyer Jul 27, 2016 8:04 pm

My ideal $450 Chase card:

1) United Club access - Restricted to only when flying United

2) 3X on travel, 2X on dining, 1X everything else

3) IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, and Hyatt Platinum + lounge/club access (or Hyatt Platinum with Hyatt Diamond after $X spend)

4) $200 annual airline credit for airline of my choosing

tokkifierce Jul 27, 2016 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by KAFlyer (Post 26978858)

3) IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, and Hyatt Platinum + lounge/club access (or Hyatt Platinum with Hyatt Diamond after $X spend)

+1

bigbuy Jul 28, 2016 3:07 am

5) Priority Pass

slivrflyr Jul 28, 2016 7:42 am

Originally Posted by bigbuy (Post 26979909)
5) Priority Pass

6) improved trip coverage over all current chase products: 3 hour coverage for trip delays; broader coverage of covered incidents such as that of prestige. Unfortunatly prestige covered reasons are still unrivaled and this trason alone maybe the reason I keep the card despite my plans to abandon TYP

jjmiller69 Jul 28, 2016 9:00 am

Originally Posted by BuBu4 (Post 26977679)
hopefully its got some premium stuff on it. I was originally planning on getting a Citi Prestige and keeping that one but now that that offer is down the drain, i probably plan to get another card...

Currently, have a CSP but the Citi premier seems to be a lot better than CSP...

hopefully this card will be good!

I'll agree but you still have the 5X with Freedom card that makes up for the difference. I haven't spent a $ on my Citi cards since 6/1 (Forward card change) except to book two flights with the TYP's. So I've used 100K TYP's and have almost another 150K to use.
Adding in the Freedom I still see CSP as better until that changes. If it does then I'll go back to Citi or Amex.

Dieuwer Jul 28, 2016 9:08 am

1. Club Access. Flying or not. Any airline.
2. 3X on travel, 3X on dining, 1X everything else
3. ibid
4. $200 annual airline credit. Any airline. No choosing.

lotrbfme Jul 28, 2016 9:18 am

I would pay up to $500 a year just for Hyatt Diamond. I have been diamond 2 years and I think I wont be able to reach Diamond again and men... Its been so awesome these 2 years! I have saved A LOT of money on breakfast, lounge, upgrades... Hyatt is the best of ALL in term of loyalty and points.

zs58 Jul 28, 2016 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Dieuwer (Post 26981117)
1. Club Access. Flying or not. Any airline.
2. 3X on travel, 3X on dining, 1X everything else
3. ibid
4. $200 annual airline credit. Any airline. No choosing.

From where I sit, a premium card like this would have to offer airline agnostic club access (like Priority Pass or something like that) for a couple of reasons -

1. Differentiation from the UA Club Card. Sure, different bonus categories and what not can also differentiate the two cards, but with the main pillar being exactly the same, I don't see that as viable.

2. Compete with other premium cards, like the Citi Prestige. So the Prestige just whacked AA lounge access, but still has priority pass which works better than just UA club access for anyone other than dedicated UA FFs, a customer segment Chase already supplies with an Explorer card and the Club card. So I don't see another premium card targeting UA FFs as either beneficial to the overall Chase portfolio or as a meaningful competitor to other premium cards.

NYCRuss Jul 28, 2016 10:39 am

Originally Posted by cambridgeguy (Post 26976684)
It's true that some programs have an anniversary "present" (points, free night at hotel, etc.) that end up being worth more than the annual fee when compared to the actual cost of the present if purchased separately. However, that will still make some users spend money they might not have ordinarily spent (can't waste that free night, after all). I haven't heard of any bonuses that can be straight up exchanged for cash back that are comparable in amount to the annual fee. That would give users all of the perks of an elite card at the medium tier price and make the medium tier card (sapphire, in this case) pointless.

^