Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase card referral questions and issues [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2022, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Warning: Generating a referral to some cards may not give the best bonus to the recipient. Check the current offer and then see what the referral offer is. One example is Marriott.

Earn Up To 75,000 Bonus Points: You can receive 15,000 bonus points for each friend you refer through this Refer-A-Friend offer (up to 5), who is approved for the card. Maximum bonus points accumulation for this offer is 75,000 bonus points. We may provide you with future opportunities to earn bonus points by referring your friends to Chase Sapphire Preferred. You may earn bonus points up to the stated maximum for each offer, however, please note that if you take advantage of multiple opportunities within one calendar year that the maximum number of bonus points that can be awarded from all referral offers is 75,000 per calendar year. In the event the bonus points you earn from all referral offers exceeds the 75,000 per calendar year limit, you may be awarded a partial amount to keep your total bonus at 75,000 bonus points. For example if you have already accumulated 70,000 bonus point from refer-a-friend offers that calendar year and the maximum is 75,000 bonus point per calendar year, then the next award will be 5,000 even if the offer states 15,000. The value of this offer or program may result in miscellaneous income received from Chase and we may be required to send you, and file with the IRS, a Form 1099-MISC (Miscellaneous Income) or Form 1042-S (Foreign Person’s U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding) for the year in which you participate and are awarded the benefits of the offer/program. You are responsible for any tax liability related to participating in the offer/program. Please consult your personal tax advisor if you have any questions about how this could affect your taxes. This offer is subject to change and may be cancelled at any time without notice. To be eligible for this bonus offer, account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment. Please allow up to 8 weeks after each new cardmember’s approval for bonus points to post to your account. Your bonus will appear on your statement as “Refer-A-Friend bonus.” You are not eligible for a referral bonus if you use your own referral URL to apply for a different card.

Due to the confidential nature of the credit approval process, we cannot disclose information on who has applied, nor will you be notified whether we approve or decline any application(s) from the individual(s) you refer.

Chase employees are not eligible to refer friends for this promotional offer.
Print Wikipost

Chase card referral questions and issues [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:46 am

Another datapoint for issue with the referral process. I referred my fiancee and she was approved in late April and then used the card in early May. I send Chase a dm in early June and they responded it takes 6-8 weeks. i call in early july at the 8th week and they said wait another week. I call on 9th week and they said oh okay lets open an escalation case. They response from the escalation case was please wait 6-8 weeks from first use... smh.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:21 am

Received 10k UR bonus. Not sure who signed up and met the spend. Is there a way to determine which friend/family signed up? When I logon to the Refer A Friend site and select See a list of friends invited by email, it says I haven't invited anyone but I know I have.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by Troopers
Received 10k UR bonus. Not sure who signed up and met the spend. Is there a way to determine which friend/family signed up? When I logon to the Refer A Friend site and select See a list of friends invited by email, it says I haven't invited anyone but I know I have.
It specifically States on the referral page that due to privacy concerns Chase can't notify you of who has applied or who has been approved. Kind of makes it hard to determine if and when you will get any bonus or when the 6 to 8 weeks clock starts.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
It specifically States on the referral page that due to privacy concerns Chase can't notify you of who has applied or who has been approved. Kind of makes it hard to determine if and when you will get any bonus or when the 6 to 8 weeks clock starts.
Ok, I found out who signed up via my referral. Friend just signed up and 1st statement has not closed yet. I received referral bonus ~3 wks after card approval. Also, I thought min spend to hit UR bonus was required for referral bonus but not the case.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:46 pm

What ever happened here? I'm in the same boat as OP and would love to know!
Old Dec 16, 2016, 10:12 pm

So now I'm confused. I thought the referred friend needed to hit min spend and get their bonus points before you got the 10k bonus. It sounds like some people here are getting the 10k once the friend is approved though. I haven't seen anything posted to my account at any point and I know at least one person met their minimum spend already.

Ugh.

To complicate things further, my CSP anniversary is coming up on 1/3/17 and I want to downgrade to Freedom avoid the CSP annual fee. I don't want the downgrade to mess up my 10k bonus(es) though.

Has anyone here ever downgraded their CSP and still received referral bonuses after the fact?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by D1BT
So now I'm confused. I thought the referred friend needed to hit min spend and get their bonus points before you got the 10k bonus. It sounds like some people here are getting the 10k once the friend is approved though. I haven't seen anything posted to my account at any point and I know at least one person met their minimum spend already.

Ugh.

To complicate things further, my CSP anniversary is coming up on 1/3/17 and I want to downgrade to Freedom avoid the CSP annual fee. I don't want the downgrade to mess up my 10k bonus(es) though.

Has anyone here ever downgraded their CSP and still received referral bonuses after the fact?
Yeah, so I'm in the same boat. Want to apply via spouse referral link but that AF is due in two weeks. I was planning to downgrade that csp but if referral points are pending then I guess I'm stuck. Any DP on this? Can one get referral points made from a CSP that has since been downgraded to Freedom Unlimited?

Alternatively, what's the policy on AF refunds? Prorated possible?

Last time we did a referral, the 10k took 2.5 months to post. Is that still an accurate estimate?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:36 pm

Any recent DPs on this? I referred my wife for Ink Preferred and she was just approved (we have separate legit businesses) after they sent me an email asking if I wanted to refer someone (I have old Ink Bold which changed to Ink Plus I think)... just wondering how timing has worked recently...
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: CSP
Is it possible to retroactively add a referral link to an application that was already approved? I totally forgot I could apply a referral to my friend's application for a Chase Ink Preferred, but that just got approved yesterday.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
For the past week, I keep getting system unavailable even after clearing cache and using multiple browsers for my Chase Sapphire Reserve.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
For the past week, I keep getting system unavailable even after clearing cache and using multiple browsers for my Chase Sapphire Reserve.
Regular referral site wont work -- you have to use specific link: https://www.chase.com/referafriend/chasesapphirereserve
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:30 am

Chase Referral Bonus Annual Cap Question

I am wondering that how Chase calculates annual cap of referral bonus for credit card referral.

For example you can earn 20,000 points for each approved Chase Ink Business Preferred referral up to 100,000 point per calendar year -- If someone I referred got the card approved on 12/25/2017 and my referral bonus is awarded on 1/25/2018, does this 20,000 points count towards 100,000 annual cap of 2017 or 2018?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by mango305
I am wondering that how Chase calculates annual cap of referral bonus for credit card referral.

For example you can earn 20,000 points for each approved Chase Ink Business Preferred referral up to 100,000 point per calendar year -- If someone I referred got the card approved on 12/25/2017 and my referral bonus is awarded on 1/25/2018, does this 20,000 points count towards 100,000 annual cap of 2017 or 2018?
You technically haven't earned anything until they receive the card and make their first purchase. After this happens, it will take about 5-7 days until you see them show up as pending. After that happens, you will receive them when your statement ends. Anything earned after your December statement ends will count for the following year. So the short answer is 2018.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:21 pm

Thank you for answering.

So Chase referral uses statement date (that grants the points to account) as the day that you earn referral bonus, unlike Amex that uses card approval date.

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
You technically haven't earned anything until they receive the card and make their first purchase. After this happens, it will take about 5-7 days until you see them show up as pending. After that happens, you will receive them when your statement ends. Anything earned after your December statement ends will count for the following year. So the short answer is 2018.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:27 am

If I only have the Chase Sapphire Reserve can I refer someone to the Sapphire Preferred and be eligible for the bonus? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.