FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   United Explorer Card (2015 - 2021) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1740614-united-explorer-card-2015-2021-a.html)

oliver2002 Jun 22, 2016 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by beltway (Post 26815378)
Did the offer terms include the normal 24-month restriction?

Yep, it did.

wco81 Jun 22, 2016 9:01 pm

HAs anyone compared the FX rates of this card to other Chase cards and to cards from other banks?

Does Chase also impose 1% on this so-called no FX card like it does with Sapphire Preferred?

Also, primary coverage on car rentals but how about when you book online and CDW is always included? Does it provide some kind of secondary coverage in that case?

TravelinSperry Jun 23, 2016 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 26817896)
HAs anyone compared the FX rates of this card to other Chase cards and to cards from other banks?

Does Chase also impose 1% on this so-called no FX card like it does with Sapphire Preferred?

Also, primary coverage on car rentals but how about when you book online and CDW is always included? Does it provide some kind of secondary coverage in that case?

I can't say for sure - but using latest FX rates Chase doesn't appear to be adding 1% to the transaction amount.

miadukes Jun 23, 2016 5:39 pm

is there any better $1k spend offer on this card other than 30k points?

financialhippie Jun 23, 2016 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by miadukes (Post 26822399)
is there any better $1k spend offer on this card other than 30k points?

Most (if not all) higher offers will require $2,000 spend, so I don't think so, no. Sorry :(

Kevo171 Jun 27, 2016 2:43 pm

Did the "search for a flight, get better offer" trick to up my offer from 70k miles to 70K miles + $50 statement credit. Applied and was approved instantly for $32k credit limit. I haven't been a Chase customer in 5+ years since I shut down my Chase bank account and moved to a local credit union. I absolutely despise Chase, but I'm happy to take miles from them.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I should hit the spend threshold in the next month booking business travel to Asia.

cheaptom Jun 27, 2016 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Kevo171 (Post 26838818)
I absolutely despise Chase, but I'm happy to take miles from them.

Same here!

pallhedge Jun 28, 2016 6:29 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 26811655)
I had received the last bonus for this card in October 2014, but was targetted for 75k+50$ on UA.com after clicking on the banner and logging in. Applied anyway.

Last week I was sent a rejection letter. Reason: <24 months from the last bonus.

I didn't realize Chase rejects apps outright if you're not eligible for the bonus. I thought they would approve with no bonus. Is this new?

samosa Jun 28, 2016 8:49 am

Originally Posted by omghaxcode (Post 26065539)
I just canceled my card before the fee kicked in. I have 4 non expired United Club passes from the Explorer card. Are those worthless now or can I still use them even without being a card holder?

You can still use them. I have. However I have had issues using them at clubs where there was "no space for day-pass holders" and in EWR and ORD because of construction. I tried complaining to Chase, even though it's part of their terms, but no dice. Pretty annoying.

financialhippie Jun 28, 2016 10:11 am

Originally Posted by financialhippie (Post 26752316)
I was able to get this too! Just start booking a flight, and the 70k + $50 link will show up on your screen!

Approved! Was able to fight the 5/24 denial with the aid of a helpful CSR and on the grounds of two of those new cards are simply authorized user access. :)

winben Jun 29, 2016 5:40 am

Originally Posted by financialhippie (Post 26842498)
Approved! Was able to fight the 5/24 denial with the aid of a helpful CSR and on the grounds of two of those new cards are simply authorized user access. :)

I am 8/24 right now, but 4 of the 8 cards are authorized user cards. Do you think I will have a chance to fight for the approval? I am also targeted for the 70k+5K+$50 offer.

daKav Jun 29, 2016 11:20 am

I am targeted for Chase United MP card with 70K signup bonus after $3k spend.

I have some travel expenses coming up and can hit spend limit easily,but,Alas, I got CSP last december and I've hit 5/24.

EDIT:

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 26811655)
I had received the last bonus for this card in October 2014, but was targetted for 75k+50$ on UA.com after clicking on the banner and logging in. Applied anyway.

Last week I was sent a rejection letter. Reason: <24 months from the last bonus.

Just read this, and I am guessing since I got CSP bonus in Feb/March, it'd have been a moot point anyway. Wait, is it card specific or just chase specific?

OliverB Jun 29, 2016 1:05 pm

Quick question: I'm an AU on a Chase account that's been targeted for the 70K offer. I know that I'm not eligible to apply myself right now, but I would like to this family member to submit an application. The catch is that he does not have a UA frequent flyer. I'm sure that I know the answer to my question but just for the sake of it: is there any way to apply for the targeted MilagePlus Explorer offer using a MilagePlus account that is in a family member's name? Ie. if this person were to submit an application, could he link the account with mine or my wife's MileagePlus account? What if we were added as AUs? It's worth applying eitherway for the 70K bonus (plus added AU bonus) but the truth is that unless my wife or myself as AUs could personally benefit by earning miles/status towards our respective accounts (or at the very least, being eligible for status and benefits when ticketing in our names) we would be highly unlikely to ever use the card after the initial spend. Perhaps we'd use it for UA ticketing through the Chase portal just until we're eligible ourselves to apply for the card, but I don't anticipate much use beyond that. So my question is first, whether an AU's MP account can be linked directly and second, would travelers benefit from status and benefits (free checked bags, lounge access, etc) when ticketed through the account? Ie. if booking tickets for myself/my wife as AUs with this card, would we still benefit from the features of the card even if traveling independently w/o primary? Thanks!

samosa Jun 29, 2016 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by OliverB (Post 26848724)
Ie. if booking tickets for myself/my wife as AUs with this card, would we still benefit from the features of the card even if traveling independently w/o primary? Thanks!

Nope, primary has to be travelling for companions to get benefit. I once tried booking a flight for my mom, who has the UA card but I paid with mine. They would not give her the benefits, including free bag.

OliverB Jun 29, 2016 1:51 pm

That sucks. I guess I'll ask him to put in an application nonetheless because 70K points + whatever bonus for AU but the card will get dumped before the next renewal.