Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

11.15.2015 Ultimate Rewards transfer ONLY to own & AU's airline/hotel accounts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 13, 2015, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Effective 11/15/15, the rules are different for CSP vs. UR-earning business cards (like the Ink Plus).

Ink Plus: The new program agreement states that
  • for combining points (i.e., moving between two UR accounts), "[y]ou can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you or one member of your household or owner of the company, as applicable."
  • for transfers from UR to travel partner programs, "[y]ou can transfer points in 1,000 point increments, but only to participating frequent travel program accounts belonging to you or an owner of the company who is listed as an authorized user on the account."
CSP: You can add one household member as an AU and then xfer UR to their programs.

NOTE: According to the Chase website, for both business cards and CSP "only primary cardmember frequent travel program accounts will be saved and authorized user (i.e. householder [sic] member or business owner) frequent travel program account information must be re-entered each time you want to transfer points."

For discussion of technical problems related to combining UR points with other UR accounts, see Problems Combining UR points between accounts.
Print Wikipost

11.15.2015 Ultimate Rewards transfer ONLY to own & AU's airline/hotel accounts

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2017, 7:37 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gardengirl
... Instead of getting a prompt for # of miles I get a prompt to select a recipient ...
This matches what I see. In the UA box I click [Transfer Points] , and I see a statement of the rule "You may only transfer points to yourself, or one additional household member who is listed as an authorized user on your card account." There is a [Select Recipient] box which (in our case) displays only one name because there is no Authorized User.

If the AU's name isn't displayed this is a technical fault, not a program restriction. Ask Chase to transfer the points by telephone until the problem is fixed. Don't call on the weekend or at night.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Maybe it's the browser I'm using. I'm using Safari. What are you using?

. . .Nix that thought, it's not the browser.

I got a Chase rep who sent me over to UA, saying it's their issue. The UA rep said it's not their issue and confirmed there's no reason I shouldn't receive a transfer. She said it's a Chase issue.

I called Chase back. Got a new rep who seemed to understand the system. Said the escalation can take up to 7 days. We began this on Monday so I have to wait till Monday because, as mia said, no help in evenings or weekends.

This same rep said we were misinformed that it was escalated to marketing and that it is an IT issue. He also said he doesn't know what happened in IT but he has recently seen this problem multiple times.

I looked last night and can still see availability for the flights we want. Fortunately I have the flexibility of a 3 day window. Hoping they're still there on Monday.

Last edited by gardengirl; Sep 30, 2017 at 8:21 am
Old Sep 30, 2017, 1:19 pm
mia

... it is an IT issue.....
It certainly sounds like one. (It's evident that it's a Chase issue rather than a United issue, because the dialog isn't allowing your husband to enter the information required for UA to evaluate. I expect the same would happen if he tried to transfer to any airline or hotel partner.)

I don't suppose you also have a Chase Sapphire Reserve, Sapphire Preferred, Ink Plus, or Ink Preferred on which you are the primary cardholder?
Old Sep 30, 2017, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by mia
It certainly sounds like one. (It's evident that it's a Chase issue rather than a United issue, because the dialog isn't allowing your husband to enter the information required for UA to evaluate. I expect the same would happen if he tried to transfer to any airline or hotel partner.)

I don't suppose you also have a Chase Sapphire Reserve, Sapphire Preferred, Ink Plus, or Ink Preferred on which you are the primary cardholder?
No, I gave up my CSP when we got the CSR. We have an Ink Bold (in my business name) and Ink Cash. Both are in husband's name because at the time of application they wanted his income listed.

On top of this we're Chase Private Clients. That has gotten us nowhere.

I'm generally a bulldog when it comes to customer service issues and am the one in the family to "fix things". This one has me stumped. I know the CS reps and branch person were feeding me lines of nonsense. I've had CS reps agree with me that the language they first quoted doesn't fit the issue. However, they've had no ability to correct the issue.

I've appreciated the validation I've gotten from flyertalk.

Last edited by gardengirl; Sep 30, 2017 at 5:22 pm
Old Sep 30, 2017, 7:46 pm
mia

... We have an Ink Bold (in my business name) and Ink Cash. Both are in husband's name....
I don't suppose you are an AU on either of those?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I don't suppose you are an AU on either of those?
Yes, on both.

Oh brother, is there a simple solution that I haven't even considered? We have had Chase combine all the UR points in the CSR account because that's the one I've always used for travel transfers. I focus on the Ink's strictly for collecting UR points in their categories.

Are you implying that we can move the points to one of the Ink accounts and transfer them to UA?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:49 pm
mia

INK Bold is eligible to transfer to UA (INK Cash is not). If you are an AU on the INK Bold account try logging in to that one and see if your name is listed on the transfer pulldown. If it is, use the Combine Points feature to move some from Reserve to Bold. This can be done online, no need to call anyone.
gardengirl likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by mia
INK Bold is eligible to transfer to UA (INK Cash is not). If you are an AU on the INK Bold account try logging in to that one and see if your name is listed on the transfer pulldown. If it is, use the Combine Points feature to move some from Reserve to Bold. This can be done online, no need to call anyone.
I have my own Bold Ink CC #. When I went to "combine points" I can see all of husband's CC's. At the bottom of the list there is "Add Household Member". When I click on that I can "Add another Chase cardholder".

Should I put in my Bold Ink CC #? Will I then be able to transfer from my Bold CC to UA?

or should I just transfer to husband's Bold Ink and then from there to my UA account.

Thanks for the info and the patience.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:28 pm
mia

I have my own Bold Ink CC #.
Do you mean that you have a separate INK Bold account on which you are the primary cardholder -or- that you are an Authorized User on your husbands account? The number embossed on the card is not important for this purpose, but the account ownership is.

Either way, login to the Bold account using the primary account holder's credentials, and even though the points balance is zero, proceed as if you were making a transfer to UA. You should be able to get far enough to see if the Bold account offers transfers to the Authorized User's UA account. If it doesn't there is no reason to move points to the Bold account. If it does, use Combine Points to move just enough points. Combine using the primary account holder's information, the AU card number is not needed.

Last edited by mia; Oct 1, 2017 at 1:52 pm
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Do you mean that you have a separate INK Bold account on which you are the primary cardholder -or- that you are an Authorized User on your husbands account? The number embossed on the card is not important for this purpose, but the account ownership is.

Either way, login to the Bold account using the primary account holder's credentials, and even though the points balance is zero, proceed as if you were making a transfer to UA. You should be able to get far enough to see if the Bold account offers transfers to the Authorized User's UA account. If it doesn't there is no reason to move points to the Bold account. If it does, use Combine Points to move just enough points. Combine using the primary account holder's information, the AU card number is not needed.
POINTS ARE ON THEIR WAY!!!

Thank you mia for sticking with me through this.

Edited to say the miles must have been added instantly. Reservation is made, seats selected and room reserved in the cabin for little Rocky.
Brendan and mia like this.

Last edited by gardengirl; Oct 1, 2017 at 4:36 pm
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:23 pm

POINTS ARE ON THEIR WAY!!!

Thank you mia for sticking with me through this.

Edited to say the miles must have been added instantly. Reservation is made, seats selected and room reserved in the cabin for little Rocky.
Maybe I'm just a bit sappy, but I love a happy ending!
Old May 9, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Gold
I'd like to get points transferred from my Mom's UR account to my United account. We do not live at the same address and she has a Chase Ink Plus. Would it be risky for her to add me as an AU on the Ink Plus and transfer the points to my United account?
Brendan likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by shutter41
I'd like to get points transferred from my Mom's UR account to my United account. We do not live at the same address and she has a Chase Ink Plus. Would it be risky for her to add me as an AU on the Ink Plus and transfer the points to my United account?
IMO, nobody will care & it will be fine, assuming you're not talking about transfering 250,000 points every week for the next year. (Even then it might not be an issue, but I'm guessing you're talking about activity far lower on the theoretical radar.)
Old May 10, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Gold
Originally Posted by beltway
IMO, nobody will care & it will be fine, assuming you're not talking about transfering 250,000 points every week for the next year. (Even then it might not be an issue, but I'm guessing you're talking about activity far lower on the theoretical radar.)
No, just talking about <200,000 one time.
Brendan likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:43 pm

chase UR transfer to united/marriott

can I transfer to my sister's airline/hotel program if she is an authorized user on my reserve card

thx
Brendan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.