Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jediwho
The one thing to keep in mind is that while Chase is not likely to go out of business anytime soon, they have to please their clients -- in this case IHG, United, Hyatt, Fairmont, etc. Probably the main yardsticks is how much their clients spend on their product using the loyalty card -- so how much do you spend on Hyatt using Chase Hyatt CC. The second one is how many credit cards they can issue -- the more the better, and the third is total spending on the cards.

So, if Chase gets strict and issues only 100K card for Hyatt then Hyatt could start looking elsewhere just like Costco did.

They need to balance all three and yet maintain their ROE. My take is Chase is trying to filter out nonspenders and free loaders, no MSers. For Ink, they are trying to filter out MSers.
I have suggested this theory from the beginning of the tightening - that is, for the co-branded cards, especially those that Chase already paid for the awards such as UA, Chase will not restrict the card issuance as they have already incurred the cost. However the In-House UR pt is a different animal.

As for the balance, out of the cobrand partners, UA already signed a renewal with Chase. Hyatt is a very small player, so as Fairmont. IHG has never been in the main stream of Chase portfolio. I dont know how long a history with Chase cards but I can tell you the Priority Club card behaved very differently from other Chase partners' cards, even the application form looked completely differently. One more thing of note is, IHG went from a Visa to a MC when Chase was in transition to a total VISA shop by eliminating Ink Plus MC. The coming Mysterious Promotion or whatever name it is called, the condition is to pay IHG stay with ANY MC, not just its cobranded one.

NONE of Chase partners has the clout of Costco. Citi gets Costco at a very high price such that Costco basically pays 0 fee to Citi for its cards being used at Costco. AMEX considers this is too detrimental to its P&L and let Citi have it. It remains to be seen how much Citi could make out from this deal as unlike AMEX, Citi does not own a processing network, and any mastercard can be used at Costco. All Citi gains now, is the AMEX Costco would be auto-converted to Citicards and it hopes the cardholders will use the same card elsewhere. Would it be enough to make up the Free Ride Costco enjoys? The industry experts are very doubtful.

Over the years, Chase has been a much smarter player in credit card business than Citi. Less be assured that Chase does not go into the current mode without a well-thought out plan. The 24 months bonus rule is an important step to prevent rapid churning in cobranded cards. The next thing followed is to reign in the award cost on the in-house cards. This includes the 0% BT on the Slate, hence it is also subject to the 5/24 rule. I am just amazed by the whining and complaining on this thread on Chase business decision. It is very laughable to think our spends are important to Chase. I never do, as I know I get more from Chase than Chase gets from me.

The folks insist how important their spend is to Chase, would be well advised to learn how to read the company's 10K and learn a bit on how the company's revenues and profits are derived.
There are 5 business segments
Consumer & Community Banking
Corporate & Investment Bank
Commercial Banking
Asset Management
Corporate/Private Equity

Credit card business is in the Consumer and Community Banking segment. Just by the name of the other 4 segments people should know, the big money is NOT from the CC.

Last edited by Happy; Nov 4, 2015 at 9:58 pm
Old Nov 5, 2015, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by ImSeeker
I have a 15 year Delta Amex I recently added my wife as AU. It appeared on her credit report as a new card. (less than 1 year old). Now, that said, this card was actually closed and reopened at some point - Amex gave me the original date as to how long it had been open.

So, I guess I'm really saying I don't know how they'll treat your account, but it can be squirrely.
I guess that makes sense, since the AU is actually a new card for that user. I was hoping to add AU's across both our cards for Amex deals but don't want to the possibility of eliminating Chase for that long.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 12:56 am
Suspended

Happy is a smart dude
Old Nov 5, 2015, 6:36 am

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Gold
This may be a stupid question but I will ask it anyway. Does the 5/24 rule include charge cards as well as credit cards? I assume so but am not sure. I opened an AMEX PRG earlier this year (charge card vs. credit card) and am wondering how that gets counted.

Thanks
Old Nov 5, 2015, 6:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by G2244
This may be a stupid question but I will ask it anyway. Does the 5/24 rule include charge cards as well as credit cards? I assume so but am not sure. I opened an AMEX PRG earlier this year (charge card vs. credit card) and am wondering how that gets counted.

Thanks
Pretty sure it does
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Happy is a smart dude
I suppose she is, in a manner of speaking.

Pretty sure it does
IIRC charge cards are not counted.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 12:12 pm

I know some CC companies do this, but I can't remember if Chase is one of them: Does a targeted offer override the 2 year requirement between earning bonuses?

I got a targeted offer for Ink Plus in the mail (addressed to Business Owner, with my business name). The business is a legit LLC with an EIN. The offer is 60k for $5k spend, AF waived the first year.

The problem is, this business already has an Ink Plus. Two, actually. I got them both this year, and got the bonus on both (don't ask - long story). I would think this would be the last business they'd be offering yet another card to.

Any clue if I'd actually be eligible for the bonus? I definitely wouldn't mind picking up another 60k URs, especially with no AF, but I don't want to waste a HP and 5k spending for nothing.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 12:28 pm

preapproved CSP

A few months ago I applied in branch for CSP after I was told by a banker that I was preapproved. I was in clear violation of the 5/24 rule by about double. Today a friend got the same exact experience under similar history.

This may be good for a data point but the question is should my friend apply for one more Chase card on the same date to save a pull or this could lead to an audit of some kind and have the CSP canceled?
Old Nov 5, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: US, AA, AM, BA, HH, SPG, PC, Carlson, Marriott, Choice
Originally Posted by bobert24
I know some CC companies do this, but I can't remember if Chase is one of them: Does a targeted offer override the 2 year requirement between earning bonuses?

I got a targeted offer for Ink Plus in the mail (addressed to Business Owner, with my business name). The business is a legit LLC with an EIN. The offer is 60k for $5k spend, AF waived the first year.

The problem is, this business already has an Ink Plus. Two, actually. I got them both this year, and got the bonus on both (don't ask - long story). I would think this would be the last business they'd be offering yet another card to.

Any clue if I'd actually be eligible for the bonus? I definitely wouldn't mind picking up another 60k URs, especially with no AF, but I don't want to waste a HP and 5k spending for nothing.
Same here. I'd love to know the answer to that one too. I don' recall reading any data points on this senario.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by ttonev
A few months ago I applied in branch for CSP after I was told by a banker that I was preapproved. I was in clear violation of the 5/24 rule by about double. Today a friend got the same exact experience under similar history.

This may be good for a data point but the question is should my friend apply for one more Chase card on the same date to save a pull or this could lead to an audit of some kind and have the CSP canceled?
Were you and your friend approved for the CSP? You got the bonus, etc.?

The second card will almost certainly not be automatically approved, which means that a human somewhere will look at it. There's no way of knowing which department, how much power they have, etc. But my personal experience (from about a year ago) is that when I applied for a second card on the same day and had to call in, the rep couldn't even see the first (automatically approved) card. It may take a little time to work through their system.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
IIRC charge cards are not counted.
I believe that's correct, because they don't show up on your credit report. The inquiry does, but not the account. Someone correct me if I'm wrong - I'm not somewhere that I can check right now.

EDIT: I'm wrong. See below.

Last edited by bobert24; Nov 5, 2015 at 6:49 pm
Old Nov 5, 2015, 5:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Virgin America Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by bobert24
I believe that's correct, because they don't show up on your credit report. The inquiry does, but not the account. Someone correct me if I'm wrong - I'm not somewhere that I can check right now.
Charge cards definitely show up on your credit report. I think you are confusing them with business cards. As for whether they count in the 5/24 'rule' I'm pretty sure that they do.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 5:22 pm

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
Originally Posted by Irish80
Charge cards definitely show up on your credit report. I think you are confusing them with business cards. As for whether they count in the 5/24 'rule' I'm pretty sure that they do.
probably most especially if they are chase business cards. chase would be able to see those.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Irish80
No, definitely not confusing the two, but you're right - I checked, and charge cards do show up on your credit report. Can't say for sure what that means for them counting in the 5/24 rule, though.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Happy is a smart dude
Happy is indeed smart, but she is not a dude.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.