Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Got Hacked

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2014, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Chase Got Hacked

Happened a few days ago. They claim only customer names, addresses and phone numbers were taken (hence why my SPAM folder is about to explode), but you should monitor your transaction activity in case something odd shows up.

Unfortunately, it may draw more (human) attention to your transaction activity in the next few days/weeks.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: Several dozen
As I have read it, the hackers basically got ROOT. Very bad, especially if there were any trusted systems. If so, I would not place blind reliance on subsequent server logging. The claim that only customer names, addresses and phone numbers were taken is worth its weight in Skypesos IMHO.

Monitor those Chase Cards and/or get them replaced.

Originally Posted by Songer5
Happened a few days ago. They claim only customer names, addresses and phone numbers were taken (hence why my SPAM folder is about to explode), but you should monitor your transaction activity in case something odd shows up.

Unfortunately, it may draw more (human) attention to your transaction activity in the next few days/weeks.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
Originally Posted by Songer5

I will stop all activity on my chase accounts, I hope others do the same.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by MasterCharge
I will stop all activity on my chase accounts, I hope others do the same.
Not a chance in HE double hockey sticks...if something happens they will make it right and I will have $0 out of pocket liability
Old Oct 4, 2014, 5:17 pm

The problem is that the fraud may not end up on a Chase account -- names/addresses/phone numbers can be used to social engineer access to other things (in addition to being sold as a database of local addresses of "people qualified for credit" that may be more likely to have nice things in their homes).

I'm actually not very concerned with credit card numbers being stolen; those are indeed the ownership and responsibility of the credit card company, and dealing with fraud on them is straightforward. Names/addresses/social security numbers are much more concerning, especially if it can be combined with other information gotten/stolen elsewhere.

Stolen health care info still sounds like the biggest deal, especially because it's often managed by bureaucrats who seem to revel in making things harder for honest customers, like claiming that they can't release details of a thief's care because of HIPAA, but won't remove the charges (the law should be clarified that they can choose one response or the other -- if they believe it's another person, pull the records and charges, if they don't, release all data to the customer they claim is responsible for paying).
Old Oct 4, 2014, 5:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by jmastron
The problem is that the fraud may not end up on a Chase account -- names/addresses/phone numbers can be used to social engineer access to other things (in addition to being sold as a database of local addresses of "people qualified for credit" that may be more likely to have nice things in their homes).

I'm actually not very concerned with credit card numbers being stolen; those are indeed the ownership and responsibility of the credit card company, and dealing with fraud on them is straightforward. Names/addresses/social security numbers are much more concerning, especially if it can be combined with other information gotten/stolen elsewhere.

Stolen health care info still sounds like the biggest deal, especially because it's often managed by bureaucrats who seem to revel in making things harder for honest customers, like claiming that they can't release details of a thief's care because of HIPAA, but won't remove the charges (the law should be clarified that they can choose one response or the other -- if they believe it's another person, pull the records and charges, if they don't, release all data to the customer they claim is responsible for paying).
If you are worried about people having your name/address/phone number then you are in a world of trouble in this day and age
Old Oct 4, 2014, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by skibum7732
If you are worried about people having your name/address/phone number then you are in a world of trouble in this day and age
But if that information comes with credit lines, purchase history, and income information, then you have a reason to worry.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
Originally Posted by skibum7732
we all should be worried about such details as it is the basic mean for "us" to validate to the world who "we" exist and for the world to confirm this information we have provided that we are us, these information might not seem very sensitive but imagine a world where someone purposely "erased" your name, address, phone number history, etc. how could you prove your name is "X" when "X" does not even exist? how could you show you leaved at "X" when there is no information show you leaving at "X"? et cetera...?
Old Oct 4, 2014, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MasterCharge
we all should be worried about such details as it is the basic mean for "us" to validate to the world who "we" exist and for the world to confirm this information we have provided that we are us, these information might not seem very sensitive but imagine a world where someone purposely "erased" your name, address, phone number history, etc. how could you prove your name is "X" when "X" does not even exist? how could you show you leaved at "X" when there is no information show you leaving at "X"? et cetera...?
Anyone with a phone book at home has all of that information of a very large % of the population anyway....No big deal.
This is not about information being erased, and that would be basically impossible anyway, and thus completely off topic
Old Oct 4, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Give me your name and an idea of where you live. I'll simply type it into google and you'll be there. Give it up, anyone can find your address and home phone number if they want to.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 1:58 am

So far, I have one chase card number that is stolen and used by someone. My husband has two chase card numbers that are stolen and used by someone.

Chase identified the fraud charge pretty quick and noticed us right away. We got replacement cards with new numbers.

Watch out for your chase credit card transactions. It seems like a pretty bad and wide spread issue.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 4:33 am

Chase and Gov't officials think the public is DUMB they tell us no S.S.#'s or C.C. # were taken -- the hackers spent weeks on the Chase system ---the motive was first make quick money with the financial info . If chase revealed that 60,70,80 million C.C. NUMBERS OR BANK ACCOUNTS WERE STOLEN the financial markets would collapsed --It would not be the first time the public was lied to --
Old Oct 5, 2014, 7:15 am

This is getting so ridiculous to a point where the government has to begin regulating this. I work with the banking industry and I am seeing louder voices for implementation of bio-metrics into the verification process. Essentially, instead of matching the ID to the credit cards, the system will match your fingefrprints to the credit card.

This will help a lot since many stores say cash only because of stolen credit cards used to purchase those gift cards.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
There's something I don't understand with all of this (Target, Home Depot, and now Chase). If I were a hacker, I would go for the real gold. (Alas, I'm not. I just like to travel.)

The mother lode of information resides at the IRS, the Social Security administration, and myriads of other Federal and State government offices. If I had to guess, I would suspect that private firms such as Chase may have better cyber-security than the government.

Or perhaps this has already happened and they haven't told us?
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
There's something I don't understand with all of this (Target, Home Depot, and now Chase). If I were a hacker, I would go for the real gold. (Alas, I'm not. I just like to travel.)

The mother lode of information resides at the IRS, the Social Security administration, and myriads of other Federal and State government offices. If I had to guess, I would suspect that private firms such as Chase may have better cyber-security than the government.

Or perhaps this has already happened and they haven't told us?
And the government will leverage every power they have and catch you. Then you'll have fun spending the rest of your life in jail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.