Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amazon Giftcard avoid being flagged by Chase?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle

I'm currently looking into a DSLR camera system. Amazon seems to have it on the site and I can take advantage of the Prime service that I have. With a quick thought, I have the INK card but need to start getting giftcards in order to maximize the 5:1 ratio on earnings. Since the camera is going to cost me around $2k and the lens will be another $1k, this means I need a lot of Amazon Giftcards.

Whats the maximum giftcard value I can get at a office supply store?
Should I avoid Amazon gc and get Visa Cards instead?
How should I avoid being flagged by Chase? I dont' want to loose my credit cards because I'm trying to extend on the earnings.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by twkidM3
I'm currently looking into a DSLR camera system. Amazon seems to have it on the site and I can take advantage of the Prime service that I have. With a quick thought, I have the INK card but need to start getting giftcards in order to maximize the 5:1 ratio on earnings. Since the camera is going to cost me around $2k and the lens will be another $1k, this means I need a lot of Amazon Giftcards.

Whats the maximum giftcard value I can get at a office supply store?
Should I avoid Amazon gc and get Visa Cards instead?
How should I avoid being flagged by Chase? I dont' want to loose my credit cards because I'm trying to extend on the earnings.
You can buy it @ staples directly? Have them PM amazon.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:51 pm

People buy $50k/year of Visa gift cards at staples. You won't get flagged in such a way that it does squat to your account long term. If you haven't ever made large purchases you may get a fraud alert, but that *doesn't* mean you have a problem with chase. Just call and clear it up and you will be fine, $3k won't even show up on their radar.
My staples has $100 amazon I think as the max, so prepare to get scratching Don't buy Visa gift cards to do anything but liquidate directly, or you are just wasting the fee money.
Edit to add, if amazon and staples have tax, yes have them pricematch, because you will also get staples rewards. If amazon is no tax, buy the gift cards..
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by jacobsta811
People buy $50k/year of Visa gift cards at staples. You won't get flagged in such a way that it does squat to your account long term. If you haven't ever made large purchases you may get a fraud alert, but that *doesn't* mean you have a problem with chase. Just call and clear it up and you will be fine, $3k won't even show up on their radar.
My staples has $100 amazon I think as the max, so prepare to get scratching Don't buy Visa gift cards to do anything but liquidate directly, or you are just wasting the fee money.
Edit to add, if amazon and staples have tax, yes have them pricematch, because you will also get staples rewards. If amazon is no tax, buy the gift cards..
Yes, amazon is no tax! Thanks bud

also, I can use Amazon giftcard to renew my prime right?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 4:01 pm

* If your tax is >5% use Amazon
Staples rewards =5%, use it towards the lens.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by binnycode
* If your tax is >5% use Amazon
Staples rewards =5%, use it towards the lens.
8.75%
Old Aug 15, 2014, 6:45 pm

also, I can use Amazon giftcard to renew my prime right?
Surprisingly, no, you can't - it skips over your gift card balance and pulls from your credit card. I think Kindle Unlimited subscription might be the same way. Actually buying kindle books looks like it will charge your credit card but actually pulls from your gift card balance instead like it is supposed to.

Staples rewards are only 5% once you pass a $$ threshold now, so I don't know if the first $XX are actually at 5% anymore, they might only be 2% and 3%.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:55 pm

If you buy directly with your credit card you could quality for the extra year warranty. Something you may want to consider.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jacobsta811
Surprisingly, no, you can't - it skips over your gift card balance and pulls from your credit card. I think Kindle Unlimited subscription might be the same way. Actually buying kindle books looks like it will charge your credit card but actually pulls from your gift card balance instead like it is supposed to.

Staples rewards are only 5% once you pass a $$ threshold now, so I don't know if the first $XX are actually at 5% anymore, they might only be 2% and 3%.
What exactly do you mean?

I thought OP meant using Ink card at Staples to buy AMZN GCs would get him 5% in bonus category spend.

Are you saying Ink card now does not give 5% at Staple spend until you pass a threshold? Or something totally different and not what the OP has in mind?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dailow
If you buy directly with your credit card you could quality for the extra year warranty. Something you may want to consider.
And for that matter, it is far better to use an AMEX AMEX than Chase Visa Signature after reading complaint thread on how hard to get Chase' insurance underwriter to even honor a $99 purchase protection when the product failed within 2 months. The underwriter first asked why Best Buy would not offer free repair, . Then it wanted a cost estimate for the repair, and when OP sent them the info from Geek Squad website quoted $130 for the repair, the underwriter wanted to know WHOM the poster had talked to Geek Squad.

AMEX would just cut you a check for such a trivial amount... $99 for goodness sake...
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy
And for that matter, it is far better to use an AMEX AMEX than Chase Visa Signature after reading complaint thread on how hard to get Chase' insurance underwriter to even honor a $99 purchase protection when the product failed within 2 months. The underwriter first asked why Best Buy would not offer free repair, . Then it wanted a cost estimate for the repair, and when OP sent them the info from Geek Squad website quoted $130 for the repair, the underwriter wanted to know WHOM the poster had talked to Geek Squad.

AMEX would just cut you a check for such a trivial amount... $99 for goodness sake...
sorry don't have an AMEX ...
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy
What exactly do you mean?

I thought OP meant using Ink card at Staples to buy AMZN GCs would get him 5% in bonus category spend.

Are you saying Ink card now does not give 5% at Staple spend until you pass a threshold? Or something totally different and not what the OP has in mind?
I think he meant signing up as a Staples member
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:33 pm

I think he meant signing up as a Staples member
Earn rewards
Base members earn 2% back in rewards, Plus members earn 3% back in rewards, and Premier members earn 5% back in rewards. Not valid on postage, gift/phone cards and savings passes.
There's no limit to the rewards you can earn.

I was thinking everyone got 5%, not anymore!
Aren't most people 5 percenters under the new rules anyway?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:29 am

Right, he & I were talking about the extra up to 5% from staples rewards itself, in addition to the Chase Ink 5UR, as a comparison between buying amazon gift cards at staples vs purchasing it at staples directly.
Since gift cards don't count, only people who spend for resale, etc, will be 5% under the new system. Just buying FAR paper isn't enough, for example.
Edit to add, and since I bought an Ipad to cross the barrier from 2->3% just the other day, I can say that purchases that cross the barrier only get the *lower* amount, for the whole total, so starting at 2% tier and buying a lot of stuff only gets you 2% until you get upgraded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.