Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase purchase protection issues [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase purchase protection issues [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2017, 2:25 pm

Purchase protection claim

Hi All,

I accidentally submerged and broke some wireless headphones and I filed a claim with sapphire reserve for the purchase protection/damage. Assuming they accept my claim, are they going to want the headphones sent to them when they reimburse for the charge?

Thanks.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by jgoodm
Hi All,

I accidentally submerged and broke some wireless headphones and I filed a claim with sapphire reserve for the purchase protection/damage. Assuming they accept my claim, are they going to want the headphones sent to them when they reimburse for the charge?

Thanks.
I'm in the same boat, how did it turn out?
Old Mar 19, 2017, 1:37 pm

I had issues with them because they could not understand that with a December 2016 purchase date, the damage occurred less than a year after purchase in January of 2017... Iit took 7 calls and an appeal of the denial twice. My first appeal was denied in writing for damage being "more than 1 year since purchase date." It was very aggravating. However, once they acknowledged that the damage was not over a year after purchase, they approved and sent me a check.

They did not ask for the parts to be returned but I don't know if that was related to how aggravated I had gotten or because of policy.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat, US Air Silver, JPM Palladium
Originally Posted by yuyuyuyu
I'm in the same boat, how did it turn out?
They made me send them the items when I used this benefit. I had to pay for shipping.
Old May 11, 2017, 7:54 am

Anyone successfully gotten Chase Sapphire Reserve purchase protection to cover a lost item?

Went to a music festival, GoPro was either lost/stolen from our bag. Hard to really know what happened but wasn't too worried about which it was since the T&C says the following is covered: Eligible personal property that has been damaged, stolen, or involuntary and accidental parting with property within 120 days from the date of purchase

Though not spelled out in the T&C, the claim was denied since 'involuntary and accidental parting with property' means that you still know where the item is, you just can't retrieve it (e.g. it fell into a storm drain). Pretty misleading that they don't define the term 'involuntary and accidental parting with property' in writing up front when you sign up for the card, only once you try to file a claim.

Lesson: Use Amex, my purchase protection claims with them have typically been credited to my account in one phone call, nowhere near the hassle of Chase. Also Amex Platinum provides true lost item protection, without the legalese and technicalities Chase uses to avoid paying claims.
Old May 11, 2017, 4:50 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by nfg05
Though not spelled out in the T&C, ... Pretty misleading that they don't define the term 'involuntary and accidental parting with property' in writing up front when you sign up for the card, only once you try to file a claim.
This is in the published terms of the benefit.

https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

Page 6:

Purchase Protection covers eligible items of personal property
you purchase using your Account in the event of theft, damage or
involuntary and accidental parting with property.*
Involuntary and accidental parting with property means the unintended separation from an item of personal property in which the item’s location is known but recovery is impractical to complete.
What is not covered?

Items that mysteriously disappear. “Mysterious disappearance”
means the vanishing of an item in an unexplained manner when
there is an absence of evidence of a wrongful act by a person
or persons.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by nfg05
Anyone successfully gotten Chase Sapphire Reserve purchase protection to cover a lost item?

Went to a music festival, GoPro was either lost/stolen from our bag. Hard to really know what happened but wasn't too worried about which it was since the T&C says the following is covered: Eligible personal property that has been damaged, stolen, or involuntary and accidental parting with property within 120 days from the date of purchase

Though not spelled out in the T&C, the claim was denied since 'involuntary and accidental parting with property' means that you still know where the item is, you just can't retrieve it (e.g. it fell into a storm drain). Pretty misleading that they don't define the term 'involuntary and accidental parting with property' in writing up front when you sign up for the card, only once you try to file a claim.

Lesson: Use Amex, my purchase protection claims with them have typically been credited to my account in one phone call, nowhere near the hassle of Chase. Also Amex Platinum provides true lost item protection, without the legalese and technicalities Chase uses to avoid paying claims.
I'm going through my first claim with Chase for a broken item. I think they are hoping I'll give up. They keep asking for all kinds of paperwork and proof of purchase.

Amex is straightforward and simple. Chase appears to be trying to avoid paying out.

Well I guess they may save paying my claim but my large purchases will go back onto Amex.

Their loss.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
I had a good experience with Chase purchase protection.

I dropped my new phone and cracked the glass within the protection period (stupid me, should have had a case-- that's my next purchase) and my claim was paid out.

What I submitted:
-Purchase receipt (e-mail from Amazon)
-Card statement (downloaded from Chase)
-Homeowners declaration page (downloaded from my insurer)
-Repair quote (obtained online)
-Photos of the damaged phone.

The entire workflow was online/digital. The claim was approved within 5 days without any further information required, and they did not require me to send them the phone. I have not had it repaired yet but the check is in the mail for the amount of the estimate.

Hope this is helpful to others-- and sorry to hear that it's not always this easy. I think it helps that my damage was visible and therefore they can easily see that it's a valid claim from the pictures.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:51 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
I left my sunglasses behind in the center console of a rental car. Realized it as soon as I was airborne (saw sunglasses case wasn't in my carryon when I took out my headphones) and called National right away upon landing. Of course, going through their process, they never found my glasses. But either an employee or a rental customer got a nice pair of Maui Jim's.

Didn't file a claim as I didn't think loss (as opposed to theft) was covered. Regretting that now after reading this thread.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by txviking
I left my sunglasses behind in the center console of a rental car. Realized it as soon as I was airborne (saw sunglasses case wasn't in my carryon when I took out my headphones) and called National right away upon landing. Of course, going through their process, they never found my glasses. But either an employee or a rental customer got a nice pair of Maui Jim's.

Didn't file a claim as I didn't think loss (as opposed to theft) was covered. Regretting that now after reading this thread.
You can file a claim, the difficult part may be proving that they were left behind... it's difficult to prove a negative of course, but perhaps National can provide you a record of your inquiry.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by wetrat0
You can file a claim, the difficult part may be proving that they were left behind... it's difficult to prove a negative of course, but perhaps National can provide you a record of your inquiry.
Proof may not necessarily be required, Chase has taken my word for things before. But it's been so long now it's probably unreasonable to pursue it at this point.

I'm chalking it up to a "wish I'd known" experience and storing that information away for the future.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:53 am

Hopefully my data point will still be relevant as it relates to a purchase protection claim filed in early 2016 (just saw this thread otherwise I would have contributed earlier). I had purchased a Nexus 5X phone for my sister in late Dec 2015 and in early March she left the phone on the bus on her way home from school. I reached out to the bus company via email to see if they could look for the phone but it was never located. I opened a case with thru the Chase Benefit portal and described where and at what time the phone had been left behind. Chase requested something in writing from the bus company stating that they had searched but could not locate the phone. After some back and forth I was able to get someone from the bus agency to reply back that they had search and had no luck locating the phone so I printed the email exchange to PDF and submitted it as proof. My claim was processed within a few days of submitting the email exchange and I was refunded the full cost of the phone.

Items submitted: Original Receipt for Phone, Chase Sapphire Preferred billing statement with the purchase highlighted, lost and found initial report made to bus company, and reply from bus company stating they tried looking but did not locate phone

All of my interaction was completed thru the online benefits portal and it was approved with little pushback within 20 days. I believe the process would have been shorter had it not taken so long to get a reply back from the bus company.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: N/A
Has anyone attempted to use extended warranty on a phone not purchased in the US? I used my reserve card to purchase a samsung S7 in Singapore however understand from the benefits customer service that it would only cover a US warranty?

Has anyone successfully gotten this to work? I was of course not aware of this during the time of purchase unfortunately.

Hello,

Has anyone had success using extended warranty for an internationally purchased phone? I called into chase but was told that I need to confirm that the phone comes with a "US Issued Warranty"

Thank You

Last edited by mia; Aug 13, 2017 at 9:26 am Reason: Combine duplicate posts.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 4:34 pm

Hello,

I used my Ink Bold card (Visa) instead of using my Amex Simply Cash - yeah that was stupid - to buy my Note 8 and LG G6 phones during the promotion over the Black Friday season. Anyway - all was good till they were stolen. That was less than 3 months so I can go and get the money back - but there is the rub, I would get back the sale price (that I paid on these cards) - not the cost now to buy that phone at this time when all sales are over. These phones were stolen from checked luggage after I was forced to check them and I did not remember they were in there.

Also, I paid them in two parts - so I guess that would require two claims??

Am I out of luck? Does the ink Visa have a replacement cost or just a refund for the money spent?? TIA!

https://www.chasebenefits.com/ink10311

According to the document - I would also, need to file a claim with my insurance, which is NOT something I would like to do, as I do not want my insurance to go up.

Again any help would be appreciated!
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:15 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
You may have a problem due to this exclusion:

What is not covered?
Items under the care and control of a common carrier (including
U.S. Postal Service, airplanes, or delivery service

...but I would just submit the claim, and see how it plays out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.