Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:45 am

I just posted this in a different thread but I think it would be more appropriate here, sorry about that. Any help would be greatly appreciated, newborn twins are no joke:

I got a Sapphire Preferred in January 2013 for a 50k points bonus at the time and downgraded shortly afterwards to the regular Sapphire to avoid the annual fee before the year came up. Can I still get this deal for another 50k points? Do I need to cancel my current Sapphire and wait a few days? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure something like this was already asked and answered but I have newborn twin boys at home and just don't have the time to go back through the thread. Thanks.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by MoogLiberation
I just posted this in a different thread but I think it would be more appropriate here, sorry about that. Any help would be greatly appreciated, newborn twins are no joke:

I got a Sapphire Preferred in January 2013 for a 50k points bonus at the time and downgraded shortly afterwards to the regular Sapphire to avoid the annual fee before the year came up. Can I still get this deal for another 50k points? Do I need to cancel my current Sapphire and wait a few days? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure something like this was already asked and answered but I have newborn twin boys at home and just don't have the time to go back through the thread. Thanks.
See my response in the other thread. You should be eligible for the signup bonus.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
See my response in the other thread. You should be eligible for the signup bonus.
Thanks so much. If I cancel it today, how long do you think I need to wait before reapplying? Monday of next week? Thanks again.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 8:32 pm

Thanks so much. If I cancel it today, how long do you think I need to wait before reapplying? Monday of next week? Thanks again.
Read. The. Wiki. (And the second wiki to which it directs you for much of this info.) It's there so people don't need to read back through the thread to find collective wisdom.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL, B6, UA, AGR
I followed the advice of others and messaged Chase about the sign up bonus addition and in less than 10 minutes had the extra 10k points added to my account.

I also want to remind folks that reportedly the Amtrak Guest Rewards transfer option will end after 12/7/15 so make your transfers now if you want to redeem some rail trips in the future, particularly before the AGR devaluation in mid January.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtra...e-rewards.html
Old Nov 28, 2015, 3:48 pm

chase sapphire preferred - rewards balance doesn't add up

I have a Chase Sapphire Preferred. It comes with a 50k bonus after 3 months of spending $4k. I haven't hit the $4k spending limit yet, although I am pretty close at $3700. On my Rewards Balance page, it says:

Earning on next statement:
45,232 points

I am having trouble understanding where this amount comes from? It is less than 50k, so it's not the spending limit bonus... but when I click on "See My Activity" it seems to be coming from the "New Cardmember Bonus"

Any ideas?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Maybe they will not catch it...but I doubt it..
Old Nov 28, 2015, 3:56 pm

so you think this is a mistake?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:58 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Wait until you make the spend and the bonus points post. Could you have not cleared your cookies on the computer? You may have inadvertently applied for a lesser "spend 3K, get 40K bonus points offer."

If that is indeed the problem, a secure message asking Chase to match a public offer is often successful. Just make your spend and give it a little time to see what happens.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Applied, got the wait 30 days notice...
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:18 am

Programs: United, delta, AA, Alaskan, Frontier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Chase Sapphire
When does the current Chase Sapphire Pref. expire?

Looked but couldn't find the answer. Thanks
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
March 6th
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:15 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by shanna135
Looked but couldn't find the answer. Thanks
See post 617.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 9:52 pm

I'm in the same situation as you. I secured messaged Chase and they said if I applied I would not get the promotion. I replied back asking if I canceled my current Chase Sapphire card (not preferred) and applied for the CSP and they said:

"Let me share that after cancelling the Chase Sapphire
card, if you are approved for the Chase Sapphire Preferred
card then you will receive the ongoing promotion for bonus
points at the time of application."

So thinking about canceling, waiting a bit and trying to apply.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 7:25 pm

Does adding an authorized user on a real person have any negative affect on their credit report besides showing as another account open? For example my wife doesn't have csp but I do. I know this can hurt her chances for csp if she wishes to apply but wasn't aware if there were other negatives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.