Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you ever flown first class?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by happy9zz
For international, is there any way that we can book first class with 2 people at the same seat ( a flat seat with more room for a couple to seat or rest close to each other)?
Two passengers in the same seat no. Although the Singapore first suites, for example, have two first class seats side-by-side that can be set up as one large space for couples.

If you're asking if you can share a seat in first and one in coach and swap off, sharing seats is normally not allowed but there have been reports of people asking nicely and getting away with swapping mid-flight. You won't be allowed to have the person from coach come spend their time in first class with the first class passenger, and flight attendants (and passengers) will not be happy if people are constantly going back and forth between cabins.

If you're asking about two people in first/business being able to sit near each other, chat, dine together, etc, then yes. But you'll have to check the seat maps and read FT. For example, on some business/first seats they have a bench where your companion can leave their seat and sit across from you during meal service. Some layouts make it difficult or awkward to speak with each other at all, others less so.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 8:41 am

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
I would consider almost any domestic mileage redemption a waste of miles at published rates, unless we're talking about Avios shorthauls. Save your miles for business or first to somewhere international - the difference between that and domestic first is substantial. If all you want to do is domestic flights maybe a cashback card would be better for you.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Hi. OP here.

Can someone help? I signed up for BA executive club just now.

I noticed that business class search on BA (american airlines) to Tokyo is only 35000 avios points a person.

On United, the business class flights are 60000 a person.

What am I missing here? Seems too good to be true.

If I could take advantage of business class for fewer points, I'd like to.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dunderball
Hi. OP here.

Can someone help? I signed up for BA executive club just now.

I noticed that business class search on BA (american airlines) to Tokyo is only 35000 avios points a person.

On United, the business class flights are 60000 a person.

What am I missing here? Seems too good to be true.

If I could take advantage of business class for fewer points, I'd like to.
Nevermind, I'm an idiot. I looked at the avios and pricing options totally wrong.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:20 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bribro
It might be worth it for SFO-JFK or LAX-JFK on United p.s., but in general domestic First Class isn't worth paying extra for IMO.
If you can redeem on the United p.s. non-stop flights JFK-SFO, it might just barely be worthwhile. Since you've never experienced first class, why not "treat yoself" and go for it? You're worth it.

Thanks for the feedback, folks. My only anxieties are that booking those award flights seems pretty difficult for those long haul flights, and also the possibility of our points getting devalued.

I don't suppose the other airline partners besides UA will do any better?
If you're simply using the UA award search engine, you're missing most of the good opportunities to get to Asia.

At least one person has suggested learning about ANA's search. As well, you might consider something like KVS (http://www.kvstool.com/) to make that easier.

If you want to maximize what you get out of your miles, it's going to take some work on your part, but the really excellent redemptions ARE out there.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
If you can redeem on the United p.s. non-stop flights JFK-SFO, it might just barely be worthwhile. Since you've never experienced first class, why not "treat yoself" and go for it? You're worth it.

If you're simply using the UA award search engine, you're missing most of the good opportunities to get to Asia.

At least one person has suggested learning about ANA's search. As well, you might consider something like KVS (http://www.kvstool.com/) to make that easier.

If you want to maximize what you get out of your miles, it's going to take some work on your part, but the really excellent redemptions ARE out there.
Can you elaborate? If I have the points transferred to UA, how would I be able to book a flight outside of their website?
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:28 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Can you elaborate? If I have the points transferred to UA, how would I be able to book a flight outside of their website?
Theoretically*, you can redeem for a LOW-level award ticket on any of their partners.

This would include the Star Alliance: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...airawards.aspx
and also the other miscellaneous partners: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...airawards.aspx

However, most of those airlines don't show up using the UA web site.

You have to find availability another way (ANA website, ExpertFlyer, KVS, etc.) and then CALL UA to book.

Obviously, the harder it is to locate the availability, the less likely someone else will have found it, so the more likely it will be available for you.

(* Sometimes certain seats will show up as available for awards but they turn out to be "blocked" by UA or a partner. But that's relatively rare.)
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:40 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
My point of view is different than most around here. Redeeming for F seats anywhere, international or domestic, I believe is a waste of miles. I have done it and didn't think it was worth the extra miles for a good night's rest and a glorified TV meal. I would rather fly in Y almost anywhere at least twice than waste the same amount of miles for one F redemption. This idea of overvaluing your miles because you are redeeming for an F seat is nonsense. If you would have paid for that F seat otherwise, then I would say yes you got good value for your miles because you saved a ton of cash. But if all you have ever done is fly Y then from my point of view, the value of your miles is based on what you are saving by not paying for that Y ticket. I value my miles more in terms of savings and not what those F seats are worth. The more miles you have to use to realize the same savings is in my opinion a waste of miles. I could care less if a RT F to Asia costs $15,000 because I will never pay for something like that. The more you maximize those miles the more you save. Too many times I heard of people depleting their mileage account after doing F redemptions, only to postpone or pony up the cash for their next trip.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 2:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by mia
I would rather stay home than fly in economy.
My 10 year old hates going anywhere and loves being home. The other day he told me he will go anywhere if its first class.

Last edited by jamflyer; Jul 27, 2013 at 5:55 am
Old Jul 27, 2013, 6:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
This is a good plan. If there is saver award availability on UA transfer 50k UR to UA and you are good to go. PS lie flat JFK-SFO is well worth the points. The experience is similar to international FC. Once you transfer the points the booking is handled by UA either at UA.com or with a UA agent. Be sure there is saver availability because you can not transfer the points back to UR.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by jamflyer
My 10 year old hates going anywhere and loves being home. The other day he told me he will go anywhere if its first class.
Wow. Has he flown first class before?
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:32 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by bobloblaw
Wow. Has he flown first class before?
His last flight (LIR-EWR) was in first....
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
I can remember when I crossed the line. When I was younger I always used miles for flights. Then, I decided to use 15k UA miles to upgrade. That was it, I was hooked.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 4:54 pm

Let's put it this way: you won't justify paying $15k to fly to Asia. IF you want to see and feel what it's like to fly in international F, give it a go! Or you can use your miles for two economy flight. Most people could afford $1k to fly economy but few could or would pay for F.

Your biggest fear should be how to feed your premium class addiction once you try it. lol..

My youngest have only flown in F for her first several international trips. The first worlds out of my oldest daughter (4) mouths when we board the plane are "Daddy, tell the man to make my bed" lol..

I'm certain I won't be able to keep this up indefinately but enjoy it while it last!
Old Jul 31, 2013, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by bribro
It might be worth it for SFO-JFK or LAX-JFK on United p.s., but in general domestic First Class isn't worth paying extra for IMO.
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.