Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you ever flown first class?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by dunderball
I have about 140k UR points racked up and have a CSP card.

I know for sure that I'll be going to San Francisco from NY next summer. Is it worth it to book first class flights on this trip? I was thinking of maybe booking first class one way, and economy coming back (which would be about 37,500 pts a person). I just don't want to seem like I'm wasting points on a domestic flight.

Or should I wait until I rack up over 200k+ and save them for a trip for a 10+ hour long flight like Hong Kong or Tokyo?

Availability for first class international award flights on United seem really limited too...
I'm a frequent flyer and have a lot of experience flying economy, business and coach, both domestically and internationally.

I'm a little over 6 feet tall, so the extra leg room in economy plus makes coach flying for up to eight hours reasonably comfortable. Domestic first (excluding PS service) is a more comfortable chair (think barcalounger) free booze and somewhat better service.

International business and first is a world of difference in comfort. Your seat turns into a bed. Some airlines first class is downright luxurious (cavier and Dom or Krug). Not sure if you can redeem on *A partners, but if you can ANA and Asiana are light years ahead of UA in international first.

I redeem all my miles on international first as I view redeeming on domestic first or coach as undervaluing the miles.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Thanks for the feedback, folks. My only anxieties are that booking those award flights seems pretty difficult for those long haul flights, and also the possibility of our points getting devalued.

I don't suppose the other airline partners besides UA will do any better?
UA is not bad for redemptions if you are flexible or look close to travel date on other Star Alliance carriers. And FT members or a mileage consultant can help you find options. Domestic first class is not anything super special unless you get lie flat or maybe Virgin. With that many points you are within striking distance for two international savers in coach (take a friend and make them buy meals or hotel during the trip), one international in business, or multiple (5-6) domestic coach trips (see more places!). I would go those routes, but i don't know your time available or other variables.

Last edited by abaheti; Jul 10, 2013 at 2:39 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jul 10, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
I don't suppose the other airline partners besides UA will do any better?
You should be able to find options on plenty of partners. Most of these should be searchable on united.com. If not, you can use ANA or Air Canada's websites, although ANA's site requires a bit of a "trick" to display award flights other than its own.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 4:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold,
I flew lufthansa first class. It was the best flight I have ever had! To me points are points, if I need more I earn or buy more. It's the experience that matters. I could have had another trip if I flew economy. But flying first is not something many people get to do and if for what ever reason I don't ever get to go on another trip I will always have that expedience. I am planning on trying to fly Thai and quantas first class at some point though. Its addictive though so keep that in mind
Old Jul 10, 2013, 7:30 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by mia
I would rather stay home than fly in economy.
+1
Old Jul 11, 2013, 1:08 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Some people here don't have to make the choice, not necessarily because they have a ton of miles, but instead because they automatically get upgraded on the majority of their domestic flights by being an elite in a domestic program.

I guess it really depends not only the points you have, but also your expected rate of earning points in the future. If you want to treat yourself to a first class domestic flight, don't expect it to be incredible, but enjoy it for what it is while keeping the possibility of a first class flight open in the future. As for availability on flights, availability is always tough, but it exists; you need a combination of patience, know-how, and timing. I just flew VA in biz to Sydney and I'm typing this from the balcony in the PH Sydney, so I know it worked for me!
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:09 pm

As many people have already stated, my experience is that domestic first class is just overrated.

Sure, the perks of a bigger space, priority boarding and check-in are all nice (undeniable), but I wouldn't waste my points on a short domestic flights under 5-hrs. Transcon may be worth additional consideration. International is a better use.

That said, I have redeemed miles for FC for special occasions. To this day, I still think it was a bad use of points, but it was a good experience for those special occasions.

Still, don't expect too high of an expectation in FC domestic. Oh, if you're earning faster than you can burn them, then of course upgrade yourself if you can.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 4:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mia
I agree wholeheartedly and it's yet another reason I worship you Mia!
Old Jul 13, 2013, 4:54 pm

Programs: SQ
Some flights are bearable in eco. Domestic stuff really doesn't matter, since most of the time I'll get an upgrade and can always get eco+.

Flights to Europe like the BOS-AMS I often do are bearable in Y. I wouldn't sleep much even if I was in Business class on a 6 hour flight.

Flights I take to China I always fly in Business class because they are horrible in economy. I really don't fly in real F because I fly too much and don't need caviar.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:43 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mia
HAHAHA this made my day.

I rarely fly economy and for domestic usually buy the cheapest first fare regardless of airline. I used to be very loyal to UAL and am near MM status, but with the merger and changes to MM status I decided we would just pay for first from whatever airline is cheapest.

As far as redeeming UR miles for domestic first, I would probably not and instead use the UR points toward a nice hotel in NYC since hotels there tend to be rather expensive.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA PS, AA GLD, SPG GLD, PC PLT, CC GLD
Domestic F, the only reason I would redeem would be if I were taking the redeye and had to be alert for work the next morning. Even then, it really only applies to transcon and you're more likely than not going to be getting the recliners.

International is a whole other story. I flew Lufthansa F from FRA and indulged in the First Class Terminal a year ago, and I still remember it very strongly. However, I don't see myself going beyond business class in the future since my flying's pretty limited to US carriers, and the added miles aren't worth the benefits. F is nice for that initial experience (or to treat an SO), but after that I'm more than happy with C.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 5:50 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
What is the difference between First Class and Business Class? Which one is better?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 6:17 pm

Have flown 8 segments in the past 13 months in F on AA. 4 Transcons with a DFW connection. 6 of the 8 were totally uninspiring.

On only 2 flights were we given our choice of pre-flight beverages. On 4 others, it was a choice of OJ or water. On the other 2, no PFB.

Although the seats were wider and there was more legroom than in coach, I found them uncomfortable and hard to adjust to a comfortable seating position.

On 2 segments, the FAs greeted us, and the others in the F cabin, by name and gave excellent, professional service that used to be the norm in domestic F. On the others, it seemed the FAs were just going through the motions.

I would suggest AA resurrect one of their old ad slogans, and slightly modify it: "Nothing Special In The Air."
Old Jul 25, 2013, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by happy9zz
What is the difference between First Class and Business Class? Which one is better?
In general, on domestic flights there is no difference as you are usually looking at a 2 class plane. In the USA, they call it domestic first class or business class, but it is the same thing. Slightly nicer seats, free alcohol, maybe some kind of meal service (but nothing spectacular).

When flying internationally, business can get you lie flat seats or lounge chair style seating. More room, various priorities, free alcohol, and much better meal service. First class international would normally be lie flat seats and "more" of everything above. (When flying intra-Europe, business class can be a regular coach seat with the middle seat blocked, but with food/drink.)

International business and first is a true experience. On domestic, I don't mind my exit row aisle vs first.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 6:41 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
Originally Posted by abaheti
In general, on domestic flights there is no difference as you are usually looking at a 2 class plane. In the USA, they call it domestic first class or business class, but it is the same thing. Slightly nicer seats, free alcohol, maybe some kind of meal service (but nothing spectacular).

When flying internationally, business can get you lie flat seats or lounge chair style seating. More room, various priorities, free alcohol, and much better meal service. First class international would normally be lie flat seats and "more" of everything above. (When flying intra-Europe, business class can be a regular coach seat with the middle seat blocked, but with food/drink.)

International business and first is a true experience. On domestic, I don't mind my exit row aisle vs first.
For international, is there any way that we can book first class with 2 people at the same seat ( a flat seat with more room for a couple to seat or rest close to each other)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.