Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Dead]Chase Sapphire Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2013, 10:58 am

Long time lurker, first time poster. Had my CSP Visa and applied for the MC last month when the application popped up and my annual fee hit. I successfully made the switch, but they wouldn't give me the signup bonus. I was previously informed that you could do that but 2 different reps shot me down. Can I call back and press this?

Also, if you switch, don't they refund you your annual fee?
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:35 am

1. switch to what?

2. who wouldn't give you the signup bonus?
Old Jun 24, 2013, 1:52 pm

Shoot, I was just going to apply this morning for this. Crossing my fingers the link goes active briefly in the next day or two but I am not holding my breath...
Old Jun 24, 2013, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by Nick311
Shoot, I was just going to apply this morning for this. Crossing my fingers the link goes active briefly in the next day or two but I am not holding my breath...
The message you get when clicking the link today is different than the one from last time after the application disappeared, then came back. Pure conjecture here, but this particular link may be gone for good.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 3:37 pm

Thanks for the advice

It is good to see agreement on this topic.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by rambro
Long time lurker, first time poster. Had my CSP Visa and applied for the MC last month when the application popped up and my annual fee hit. I successfully made the switch, but they wouldn't give me the signup bonus. I was previously informed that you could do that but 2 different reps shot me down. Can I call back and press this?

Also, if you switch, don't they refund you your annual fee?
Welcome to Flyertalk!

I don't have personal experience with this, but I have read on these boards that Chase can approve a card even if the person is not eligible for the bonus. Which kind of sucks because if there is a spend involved, most people don't figure out they aren't getting the bonus until after the spend is made.

I hear Amex is like that too (approving card when not eligible for the promotion). Citi is the best about it. Citi will reject the card app if it is not eligible for the bonus. I have been rejected by Citi because I had not waited enough time since my last AA card. At least with Citi if I have the card, I know I should be eligible for the promotion.

If you had not downgraded or closed the CSP Visa before applying for the MC, that could be the issue. It seems like the people having success downgraded or closed the first card before applying for the second.

I am sorry to hear you didn't get the promotion.

Last edited by jeanie; Jun 24, 2013 at 4:02 pm
Old Jun 24, 2013, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by jeanie
I don't have personal experience with this, but I have read on these boards that Chase can approve a card even if the person is not eligible for the bonus. Which kind of sucks because if there is a spend involved, most people don't figure out they aren't getting the bonus until after the spend is made.
For what it's worth, Chase has always verbally confirmed the bonus terms with me after calling to activate a new card.

When I get my CSP MC in the mail and I call to activate it, I'll report back. I'm also going to ask them to match the 50k offer since the link said only 40k.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by bribro
For what it's worth, Chase has always verbally confirmed the bonus terms with me after calling to activate a new card.

When I get my CSP MC in the mail and I call to activate it, I'll report back. I'm also going to ask them to match the 50k offer since the link said only 40k.
There is a current 50k offer? I just applied for this card about a month ago. Please post on whether they match the 50k. I am very interested to find out if you are successful.

Thank you.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 5:12 pm

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
There is a current 50k offer? I just applied for this card about a month ago. Please post on whether they match the 50k. I am very interested to find out if you are successful.

Thank you.
There is a 50k offer for Chase private clients. There is not a public offer, I don't believe, for 50k. Therefore I would be surprised if Chase matches it...
Old Jun 24, 2013, 5:27 pm

Thank you.
I have a J.P. Morgan Private Bank account but applied for this card with the help of a Chase Private Client banker friend instead of my JPM banker, specifically to set the stage for a possible bonus match. I'll report back if I'm successful.

I don't want to push too hard though because they might take issue with my having received a 50K bonus for the CSP Visa already and I don't want to jeopardize the entire 40K for the CSP MC.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 8:14 pm

It is a Mastercard. Applied, pending. Call recon- approved. CSR confirmed MC.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by zhengqiji
It is a Mastercard. Applied, pending. Call recon- approved. CSR confirmed MC.
Using what link???
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by writebrian
Using what link???
I am assuming the one that was active up until yesterday, but I hope I'm wrong and that there is another one lingering somewhere...
Old Jun 25, 2013, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bribro

The verbal confirmation does not mean anything if at the end you are denied bonus due to previously having the same card or similar things like that.

The front line CSRs would only read the offer associated to the link thru which you applied. Whatever behind the scene Chase system would do, they have no knowledge and no power to intervene when that happens.

Many of us have learned this the hard way long time ago and things have not changed with Chase at all - that is, if you have had the same card in the past (or in the case of Sapphire, it seems the current policy is you could only have ONE type at any given time), and the time lapse is not long enough (2 to 3 years), you may get the 2nd card if your credit profile passes the muster, and the CSR would confirm the bonus, but at the end you would NOT receive the bonus - and Chase even sends you a letter right on the statement date to inform you such...

And yes, AMEX does the same thing.

Both Chase and AMEX have the software to determine whether you are eligible to bonus or not but they would not turn down an application if it passes the credit-worthy test.

Citi does not have the software to determine such (much more involved) and chooses to keep the gate at the card application (much easier to do).
Old Jun 25, 2013, 3:34 pm

Which is why I qualified my statement with "for what it's worth." There have been multiple reports of people getting a second bonus for the CSP MC when having had a CSP V initially (and vice versa).

I'll keep my fingers crossed and report back with my results.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.