Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can you have Chase Freedom Visa AND Mastercard?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you have Chase Freedom Visa AND Mastercard?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by tonyflyer
OK the category bonuses are different, but I'm trying to point out that you don't lose much if you have Ink (most of us do anyway, at least for now) and eliminate CSP (thus avoid the annual $95), assuming you have other CCs that give equal or better bonus on travel and dinning spending.
I agree. I just haven't found any cards that are as complete as the CSP travel and dining categories. Sapphire no fee is 2x restaurants. Ink is 2x hotels. PRG for 3x airfare (but $175 annually). Would be good to know what others are good candidates.

BTW, this year I only have Ink plus and have downgraded CSP to a freedom. I'm hoping to get CSP mastercard sometime later
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:51 am

Data point:

I currently have a Chase Freedom Visa and I just called Chase to have my Sapphire regular card converted into the Chase Freedom Mastercard.

Looking forward to having 2 x 5% rotating categories every Quarter! I was told I just need to register and activate each card individually for the quarterly bonus categories.

(btw my wife has a CSP and I have a Palladium card so I'm not worried about foreign transaction fees or converting UR points to Chase travel partners)
Old Feb 18, 2013, 4:39 pm

Can anyone confirm that a downgrade (CSP --> CS) does not result in a hard pull?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sk8uno
Can anyone confirm that a downgrade (CSP --> CS) does not result in a hard pull?
It does not.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by bombnthud
I have a Freedom Visa that I applied for several years ago, and I had just downgraded my CSP to a regular Sapphire in October. Called today to ask if I could switch the Sapphire to a Freedom Mastercard. Rep was hesitant, thinking that I couldn't have two of the same product, but said he would try, and it worked! So now I have both a Chase Freedom Visa and Freedom MC.
Originally Posted by tjguitar85
Has anyone been able to succesfully convert a sapphire VISA to a freedom MASTERCARD? I'm guessing not....
My Sapphire Visa was converted to a Freedom Mastercard. Just got it in the mail today and activated it with the 5% categories. Funny thing is my Sapphire number still shows up in my online account, but with a Freedom logo. IIRC, the phone rep said it would still be active for 60 days, though I'm wondering if I'm safe to apply for a CSP Mastercard now.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:21 pm

FYI,

I requested by secure msg to change my Sapphire Prefererred Visa to Freedom Mastercard. The response is below:

At this time, I'm unable to change your account to a
different product. An account that is open less than 12
months is not eligible to change to a different product.
I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

However, you can reply back once the account completes 1
year.

Last edited by tjguitar85; Feb 20, 2013 at 12:34 am
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bombnthud
My Sapphire Visa was converted to a Freedom Mastercard. Just got it in the mail today and activated it with the 5% categories. Funny thing is my Sapphire number still shows up in my online account, but with a Freedom logo. IIRC, the phone rep said it would still be active for 60 days, though I'm wondering if I'm safe to apply for a CSP Mastercard now.
yes exact same situation here.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:14 am

Just received my new Chase Freedom Mastercard in the mail. It was a conversion from a Sapphire Visa (which was a downgrade from the CSP)

Anyways, on my new welcome pamphlet, I see that Chase is now advertising a 10% bonus each year... only for Chase Checking customers. I can "earn an extra 10% on the cash back you've already earned each year as a bonus."

I called to confirm this and the rep said that the 10% dividend works on top of the 5% rotating category bonus points.

This may be my new go to card for transactions that don't earn more than 1x. Previously it was the CSP or my SPG cards.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 4:36 pm

The 10% extra has been always the case for Freedom with Chase checking, hasn't it?

Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
Just received my new Chase Freedom Mastercard in the mail. It was a conversion from a Sapphire Visa (which was a downgrade from the CSP)

Anyways, on my new welcome pamphlet, I see that Chase is now advertising a 10% bonus each year... only for Chase Checking customers. I can "earn an extra 10% on the cash back you've already earned each year as a bonus."

I called to confirm this and the rep said that the 10% dividend works on top of the 5% rotating category bonus points.

This may be my new go to card for transactions that don't earn more than 1x. Previously it was the CSP or my SPG cards.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tonyflyer
The 10% extra has been always the case for Freedom with Chase checking, hasn't it?
Yeah, and it posted monthly, not annually. This is nothing but a devaluation of the Freedom/Checking combo.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Nishant1
You can have one of each cards selecting between visa & mastercard but not both
1) Chase Freedom-
2) Chase Sapphire Preferred- $95 Annual fee
3) Chase Sapphire- No annual fee

The benefit is that you can combine the points of all 3 into one and earn rewards faster.

All other Chase issued cards are standalone cards and cannot be combined with other Chase cards
Correct, I once had that Freedom Visa, Sapphire Visa, Sapphire Preferred Visa. But I now have Chase Freedom Visa and Freedom Mastercard instead of Sapphire Visa.

Originally Posted by tjguitar85
Has anyone been able to succesfully convert a sapphire VISA to a freedom MASTERCARD? I'm guessing not....
Yes.

To the person that did a SM, I'd call... I feel like calling puts the rep on the spot to do something vs SM they have the T&C that they copy and paste because they have time to research.

I've had a 100% success rate of whatever I want via calling whether getting points posted from the UR mall or card conversion or getting questions answered
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
So it seems that converting another Chase card to a second Freedom MC card works no problem.

Anyone have experience applying for the 2nd Freedom MC card and getting the bonus?

My current Freedom Visa was automatically converted from an older Chase cash card a few years back so technically I've never even received a sign up bonus for the Freedom product.

Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2013, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA GS, AA EXP
Originally Posted by sk8uno
I am 100% positive. I did it before and no hard pull.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:39 am
Formerly known as caveruner17

Yes. I have both a freedom MC and Visa.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:14 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Global Entry
I'm just curious, wouldn't it make more sense to convert from a CSP to a Chase Freedom...that way, you could apply for the Chase Sapphire (non-preferred) to get the additional sign up bonus? By downgrading to a card, you forgo the sign up bonus usually because it is not a new account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.