Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

No Ultimate Rewards points if Apple Safari is your browser?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2012, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Just logged into Chase Ultimate Rewards Mall on my Ipad, tried to check out of Kohls, got a message warning that Chase is unable to track Apple Safari in order to grant points....Chase advises getting on another browser such as Firefox or Internet Explorer. I just wonder how long this has been the case.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 7:17 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Interesting

I too get that message when clicking on Kohls via the Ultimate Rewards Mall. Interestingly, though, Kohls seems to be the only retailer that has this restriction. I clicked on Staples, Groupon, and Apple and didn't get the warming message, which makes me think this is something specific to Kohls, in particular.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 7:32 pm

same here for the message using my Acer Iconia 7 inch tablet. i don't think it uses safari
Old Sep 25, 2012, 9:04 pm
Used to be highman123

No Ultimate Rewards points if Apple Safari is your browser

I bought several items using Safari at kohls. No points Because I paid with a gift card they would not let me claim it either. So I think it's a good warning!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:01 am

Programs: LT Marriott Gold, Velocity Gold, Accor Gold
I was able to make a purchase from Drugstore using Safari last week and received the bonus points automatically so maybe it is something other than Safari despite the message you are receiving.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 4:18 am

Perhaps your cookie/privacy settings?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 1:16 pm

Programs: SkyMiles PM, Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
The SkyMiles Shopping site always shows a warning that purchases cannot be tracked if you're using Safari. This is due to Safari's privacy settings. I've not read about a workaround, but for now I switch to Firefox or Chrome if I plan to use a shopping affiliate site.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 1:21 pm
Used to be highman123

Originally Posted by samonyc
The SkyMiles Shopping site always shows a warning that purchases cannot be tracked if you're using Safari. This is due to Safari's privacy settings. I've not read about a workaround, but for now I switch to Firefox or Chrome if I plan to use a shopping affiliate site.
I doubt it's Safari per se. I do all purchases using Safari (I reset i multiple times a day and always start fresh before shopping) and almost all post with the exception of Kohls in UR and GoDaddy in BA mall.

I'll try Chrome though.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 1:29 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Perhaps this has something to do with the new "do not track" options on browsers? Not a tech guy here, but I would assume that may impact the ability of the shopping portal to "track" you to the retailer and link your purchase there with your click from the portal.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 2:31 pm

I can't say where, but I feel like I remember reading something about this having something to do with google being involved in payment processing or click-through tracking for some businesses. For those companies, Safari does not work. This is why it is only certain companies that have a problem.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by highman123
I bought several items using Safari at kohls. No points Because I paid with a gift card they would not let me claim it either. So I think it's a good warning!
That certainly confounds things. No longer scientific method when changing multiple variables

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...d-ur-mall.html
Old Sep 26, 2012, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. I changed to a Windows computer to make the Kohls purchase. However, this is the first time I've gotten the warning on the Ipad and I have bought through UR Mall at Kohls many times before on it.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 7:44 am

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
I think the best question is why are you using Safari in the first place? It is a really crappy browser.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by snuggliestbear
I think the best question is why are you using Safari in the first place? It is a really crappy browser.
^ Agreed. Google Chrome or Firefox all the way!
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:36 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator observation

This is the Credit Card Programs forum, not Travel Technology. Please use this thread to discuss Safari in the context of Ultimate Rewards or other shopping portals, not to debate the relative merits of various browsers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.