Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Limited Availability] UA MP Explorer- Up to 55K & possible $50 stmt credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
[This thread is now archived.
Please continue the discussion here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...rd-2016-a.html

[/B][/SIZE]

============================================

[/b] 50 + 5k offer for personal card. Requires MileagePlus login; redirects to https://www.theexplorercard.com/50kAFW
  • 50k miles after $3000 spend within first 3 months
  • 5k miles for adding an authorized user
  • No annual fee first year
  • No FTF
  • Each calendar year, you are eligible to receive one 10,000-mile bonus after you reach $25,000 in net purchases on your Card.

For discussion of card benefits, see the master thread in the United forum.
My math says a 50K offer. Where do the extra points come from?
The extra 5000 points come from adding an authorized user after you have been approved for the card.
Is there a business card?
Yes, and Flyertalk has a thread devoted to the business card: United business card: 50k+10k united miles
Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015-Present
Print Wikipost

[Limited Availability] UA MP Explorer- Up to 55K & possible $50 stmt credit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by woow14610
Originally Posted by xflyery
What he said ^^^ I had a 0 mileage balance and the link bought me to the 30k offer. I used the United shopping portal to link through itunes and brought me a song for .69 cents.

Once the single mile appeared on my account, i was able to link to the 50k offer. In fact, i applied and was approved this morning.
OK now I am confused by the two answers. I have old mileage account with about 13K miles in it. So I are you saying I need to open a new miles account? or need to have miles in my account? if it is later I do have miles?

Please explain. Also do you know if chase allow to downgrade the account after 1 year?
You need to have "fresh" miles in your existing Mileage Plus account.

You might be able to downgrade from Chase Sapphire Preferred to regular Chase Sapphire, but if you do not have the Sapphire Preferred card, you cannot transfer your Ultimate Rewards points to airline or hotel programs.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:05 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
In-branch application is still working, see: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19964583-post22.html
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You need to have "fresh" miles in your existing Mileage Plus account.

You might be able to downgrade from Chase Sapphire Preferred to regular Chase Sapphire, but if you do not have the Sapphire Preferred card, you cannot transfer your Ultimate Rewards points to airline or hotel programs.
Got it. Sorry for all the questions. So is Chase Millage Plus card actually a Chase Sapphire Preferred card?

Thanks.

Last edited by woow14610; Jan 3, 2013 at 10:14 am
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: LFFRS BOD
fresh miles like others have posted.. no do not open a new account just transfer or buy something to post fresh miles into your account.. lots of free ways of getting them too .. not sure if still available look in this thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...g-bckstgr.html

I have the Chase Preferred Signature Visa card and the Chase United MileagePlus Explorer card- two different cards.. hope this helps ( from another newbie)
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:29 am
umc

Got it. Sorry for all the questions. So is Chase Millage Plus card actually a Chase Sapphire Preferred card?
No, they are two different cards. If you have UR points and CSP card, you can transfer the points to UA miles. It does not work the other way around, ie you can not transfer UA miles to UR points.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:07 am

OK now I am confused by the two answers. I have old mileage account with about 13K miles in it. So I are you saying I need to open a new miles account? or need to have miles in my account? if it is later I do have miles?
i didn't say all that. In my case, I never had a united mileage account until i this opportunity came up. Opened one up, brought a song and waited for my first mile to show. The 50k offer didn't show until that first "fresh" mile (as someone put it) appeared on my account. i don't know if a new miles account would be needed.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
In-branch application is still working, see: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19964583-post22.html
i am trying to do in branch application too. Could you tell me how did you ask for the 50k bonus? cause they asked me if i have a promo code or if i receive a promotion in mail?

thanks
Old Jan 3, 2013, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by summersauce625
i am trying to do in branch application too. Could you tell me how did you ask for the 50k bonus? cause they asked me if i have a promo code or if i receive a promotion in mail?

thanks
When I went in to apply in-branch the banker initially showed me the lower offer. She literally went to the theexplorercard.com website and pulled up the online application.

I simply told her that I had seen that offer (and I could apply online myself), but that the reason I came in was because I had heard that there was a better (50K+5K+10K) offer that was being offered in-branch. She searched around on her computer/in some database for a moment and then pulled it up.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by dedkends
When I went in to apply in-branch the banker initially showed me the lower offer. She literally went to the theexplorercard.com website and pulled up the online application.

I simply told her that I had seen that offer (and I could apply online myself), but that the reason I came in was because I had heard that there was a better (50K+5K+10K) offer that was being offered in-branch. She searched around on her computer/in some database for a moment and then pulled it up.
Gave a phone call to the local bank and they confirmed the offer.

One more question....I would like to apply to Sapphire preferred and mileage plus cards. Is it safe to apply at the same time? Should I apply any specific order? Should I have time gap in between? Appreciate the help.

Thx,
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:17 am

Gave a phone call to the local bank and they confirmed the offer.

One more question....I would like to apply to Sapphire preferred and mileage plus cards. Is it safe to apply at the same time? Should I apply any specific order? Should I have time gap in between? Appreciate the help.

Thx,
I believe the general rule is that you’re only allowed 1 personal card and 1 business card every 60 days from Chase. Others may have had different experiences, however.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by dedkends
I believe the general rule is that you’re only allowed 1 personal card and 1 business card every 60 days from Chase. Others may have had different experiences, however.
I rec'd Ink (biz), Sapphire, Hyatt in about 4 week time span. I also rec'd the Explorer ~45 days earlier.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:47 pm

Programs: Status? What's that? :)
Since I have to travel to SIN in two weeks and only have the basic no-fee MP Visa (earns 1 mile per $2), I decided to check out the MP Explorer Card, to see if I can leverage some bonuses as I'm looking at purchasing almost $5K in tickets (for a family of four). I realized that I had missed out on some of the better offers in the past of up to 60K (65K?) from what I've glanced through on this thread, and the current offer (non-targeted) is only 30K miles with $50 statement credit -- which is also what's showing up when I login to united.com.

But, in playing around with logging in and out of my united.com account several times, and trying the various links to the Explorer Card offers mentioned on here, I noticed that I was able to get the 50K miles offer (but no statement credit) to come up on my screen, and when I clicked on it, it took me to the application page with personal information populated. I applied (while keeping my fingers crossed for an instant decision) and was approved immediately and it even transferred the credit card information over to my united.com profile. I was able to purchase the tickets, but had to call Chase to get them to manually approve the transaction since I didn't have the CVV or card expiration date information.

I am curious: since the confirmation/application page doesn't state anything about the 50K bonus miles offers that I had initiated from and had submitted, will I actually get that, or will it default to the 30K bonus miles offer? I did took screenshots of the page showing the 50K bonus and all, figuring that nothing posts, then I have some sort of "proof" so to speak. I guess that trying to stack the 50K bonus miles with a $50 statement credit is ... wishful thinking?

Last edited by tayd; Jan 4, 2013 at 8:24 pm
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:26 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by tayd
I am curious: since the confirmation/application page doesn't state anything about the 50K bonus miles offers that I had initiated from and had submitted, will I actually get that, or will it default to the 30K bonus miles offer? I did took screenshots of the page showing the 50K bonus and all, figuring that nothing posts, then I have some sort of "proof" so to speak. I guess that trying to stack the 50K bonus miles with a $50 statement credit is ... wishful thinking?
The most likely scenario is that you will get the 50k miles.

The $50 statement credit combined with 50k miles hasn't been around for a while, so you likely won't get the statement credit as part of that offer.

Did your offer also have 5k for an authorized user? Don't forget that part, if it turns out you got the 50k offer.

But good on you for your perseverance in getting the offer to show up... many would have given up too soon.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
DATA POINT:

WIfe had the 50k + 5K + 10k after $25k spend offer

She had applied same day for the PC 80k offer

Got denied for the PC card, approved with a $2k CL on the UA card

Called to verify, they now state 50k after $1k spend within the first 100 days, 5k with authorized user (does anyone know if the AU needs $1k in spend for the 5k miles too?)
Old Jan 6, 2013, 1:52 pm

I recently received my card with this deal, and being new to this process only received the 30K bonus after spending 1,000 in 3 months.

Anybody have any pointers on how to get upped to the 50K sign on bonus? Things to say in a secure message or phone call?

I just started my mileageplus account, after I was approved for the card. Thanks yall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.