Community
Wiki Posts
Search

URGENT: Chase Reconsideration Line Help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2012, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

URGENT: Chase Reconsideration Line Help

In early January I applied for and received the Chase Ink Bold and Chase Sapphire Preferred. Shortly thereafter I received a targeted email that I have United miles about to expire (on March 31) and that I can save them by applying for the MileagePlus Explorer card and earn up to 60K miles. Since I am new at this game, I did not know that I should not apply for 3 Chase cards in such a short amount of time, so I went ahead and applied for the MileagePlus Explorer card. I was denied.

When I called the reconsideration line, I was told that there needs to be more time between applications and that I could call back until 30 days from Feb 18 and could call back using the same reference number. The CSR even gave me her direct number.

So today I called. A different CSR answered and told me the reconsideration window on my application closed on March 1 and I’d have to reapply for the card. I explained what the previous CSR told me, but she would not budge. I asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor told me the same thing. I asked to speak to his supervisor. He said he could not immediately transfer me, but took my phone number and said someone would call me back within 24 hours.

So . . . when they call me back what do I say? As I told the previous two CRS’s I was simply following the instructions of the original CSR I spoke with. Should I simply call the reconsideration line and see what happens when I get a different CSR? What happens if I reapply for the same card?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Mar 9, 2012, 12:28 pm

I would explain that you were targeted since you have UAL miles expiring and that you understand you've applied for 3 Chase cards in a short amount of time so you're willing to "give up" either the Saphhire or Bold to capture the UAL Explorer Card.

Have you met the minimum spends on either the Saphhire or Bold? Offer to give up the one with the highest spend or one you haven't yet qualified for.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 12:29 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ajoy
... I received a targeted email that I have United miles about to expire (on March 31) and that I can save them by applying for the MileagePlus Explorer card
There are many ways to prevent your miles from expiring, the suggestion to apply for a credit card is merely a marketing ploy. I suggest you solve that problem immediately (if it is true), because even if you were to have a Chase card application approved today it is unlikely that the miles would post in time help.

Read here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html
Old Mar 9, 2012, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hofu
I would explain that you were targeted since you have UAL miles expiring and that you understand you've applied for 3 Chase cards in a short amount of time so you're willing to "give up" either the Saphhire or Bold to capture the UAL Explorer Card.

Have you met the minimum spends on either the Saphhire or Bold? Offer to give up the one with the highest spend or one you haven't yet qualified for.
Yes, I did explain that I was targeted due to my soon-to-expire miles. I received both of the other Chase cards in mid-January. I am done with the spend on the Sapphire, but not on the Bold. I don't really want to give up either one. I think they are both terrific cards and planned to keep both, even paying the annual fee to do so.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
There are many ways to prevent your miles from expiring, the suggestion to apply for a credit card is merely a marketing ploy. I suggest you solve that problem immediately (if it is true), because even if you were to have a Chase card application approved today it is unlikely that the miles would post in time help.

Read here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html
Thank you so much for the link with ways to keep my miles from expiring. I will certainly do one of them TODAY!

Thing is, I want this credit card. 50K bonus miles on first spend, plus first checked bag free, priority boarding, 2 Club passes.

Any suggestions on how to convince Chase to give me the card? Or is it better just to reapply?

Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2012, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
I would suggest explaining everything you have set out here to the supervisor that calls. Hopefully they will reconsider your application without a new credit pull and just issue the card. But they very well may not, in which case you're basically stuck reapplying if you want the card.

As mentioned, there are other ways to extend the life of your miles. But if you want the card, you're at the mercy of Chase and what they ultimately decide to do.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: AGR Starwood Whoever I can get points with :D
Is it impossible to talk with the first CSR? Maybe s/he could help you more, with the note in your file to jog his/her memory.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MJLouise
Is it impossible to talk with the first CSR? Maybe s/he could help you more, with the note in your file to jog his/her memory.
Good idea. I will ask about this.

I do not use iTunes, but I had my son log into my MileagePlus Shopping account (on his computer) and purchase a couple of songs for himself. Now I'll watch my MileagePlus account to make sure those miles post before March 31. If not, I'll donate miles.

Thanks, everyone, for you help. I'll post what happens with the credit card reconsideration.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good idea. I will ask about this.

I do not use iTunes, but I had my son log into my MileagePlus Shopping account (on his computer) and purchase a couple of songs for himself. Now I'll watch my MileagePlus account to make sure those miles post before March 31. If not, I'll donate miles.

Thanks, everyone, for you help. I'll post what happens with the credit card reconsideration.
The purchase most likely would NOT post before Mar 31. The quickest way is to sign up for dining program and use it immediately - miles from dining program posted within 2 weeks. Purchase from the Mall takes anywhere from 8 weeks to 12 weeks to show up without chasing, if at all.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy
The purchase most likely would NOT post before Mar 31. The quickest way is to sign up for dining program and use it immediately - miles from dining program posted within 2 weeks. Purchase from the Mall takes anywhere from 8 weeks to 12 weeks to show up without chasing, if at all.
Well, SHOOT! I read a bunch of posts and most said that iTunes was the fastest (aside from donating). I did sign up for the dining program. Looks like I'll be going to the closest restaurant this evening to make a small purchase!

One way or another, I'm gonna save my miles!
Old Mar 9, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: As many as I can!
Why don't you transfer points from your Chase Sapphire Preferred or Chase Ink Bold account to your United account?

The points post virtually instantly, though the minimum transfer is 1,000 points.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Million Mile Secrets
Why don't you transfer points from your Chase Sapphire Preferred or Chase Ink Bold account to your United account?

The points post virtually instantly, though the minimum transfer is 1,000 points.
Brilliant! Why didn't I (or anyone else) think of that? If the iTunes purchase doesn't post in time, I'll for sure transfer points! Yeah!

And may I say, Daraius, how honored I am that you answered my post!
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:33 am

Programs: As many as I can!
Brilliant! Why didn't I (or anyone else) think of that? If the iTunes purchase doesn't post in time, I'll for sure transfer points! Yeah!

And may I say, Daraius, how honored I am that you answered my post!
You're welcome, but don't make me blush!
Old Mar 11, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, AA Lifetime Gold
Thing is, I want this credit card. 50K bonus miles on first spend, plus first checked bag free, priority boarding, 2 Club passes.

Any suggestions on how to convince Chase to give me the card? Or is it better just to reapply?

Thanks!
Do you have any other Chase cards that you could barter with? If you speak to Chase again, you could offer to close that one in return for getting this new one.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

The final outcome

So there were really two separate but related issues:
1. My denied application for the Explorer card and the incorrect information I was given by a CSR on the reconsideration line
2. UAL miles expiring 03/31

And here's what happened:
1. The biggest issue was the incorrect information I received from a CSR on the reconsideration line. I followed her instructions, but because she gave me incorrect information, my second call was past the 30 day window. So Chase would not reconsider my original application despite me escalating the call two levels of supervisors. I had to do a new application (which means another credit pull which I was trying to avoid). After the second application I again had to call the reconsideration line and after about 20 minutes of talking and holding and talking and holding, I was approved. I requested the card be expedited which they did and I will receive it on Monday (03/19).
2. Thanks to help from the FT community I took (and will take) these steps to keep my miles from expiring:
  • On 03/09 my son purchased an iTunes album and on 03/14 I purchased a magazine subscription, both through the MileagePlus shopping portal. Both of those transactions have posted in my MileagePlus Shopping Account, but their Status is "Pending," so they have not posted yet to my MileagePlus account.
  • When I get my Explorer card on Monday I will immediately use it which means the 50K bonus will kick in, but it may be too late to post to my MileagePlus account by 03/31.
  • If none of the above post by 03/26 I will transfer 1K miles from my UR account. Is that enough time for them to post to my MileagePlus account and save my miles?

Thanks again for all your help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.