Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred is now 40K [$3000 in 3 months]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Q. What are the best current offers?

Offer for 50K points for $3K spend over 3 months; AF waived first year, $125 thereafter. Extra 5K for adding additional cardholder.

Offer for 40K points for $3K spend over 3 months; AF waived first year, $95 thereafter. Extra 5K for adding additional cardholder.

Offer for 40K points for $2K spend over 3 months; AF waived first year, $95 thereafter.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards [Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred is now 40K [$3000 in 3 months]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by gce
little new to the cc/miles game and had a couple questions.

if i transfer my current $2,000 balance over from another card to this one, will there be a fee? also, will this count towards my first $3,000 spent?
Usually a 3% fee and no, I do not think it will count. SOME cards count it but not Chase, I believe.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:54 pm
gce

so should i hold off for another month or so? it sounds like there's rumors of some really great deals coming out in the next month.

Last edited by gce; Jul 14, 2011 at 1:01 pm
Old Jul 14, 2011, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
i've spent over 4k on the card in less than a month and paid it off...sent a message seeing if they would go ahead and give me the points and the rep replied that she only saw 900 in spending (I paid off the 900 yesterday from new charges), and i had paid the other 3300 last week....she said "be advised I only show you with 900 in spending, you do not get point credit for making payments"......i think she was just an idiot...hoping that's the case.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ianturner
i've spent over 4k on the card in less than a month and paid it off...sent a message seeing if they would go ahead and give me the points and the rep replied that she only saw 900 in spending (I paid off the 900 yesterday from new charges), and i had paid the other 3300 last week....she said "be advised I only show you with 900 in spending, you do not get point credit for making payments"......i think she was just an idiot...hoping that's the case.
You mean you have met the $3K spent yet no bonus point posted on the statement you met the spend requirement?

When is your 1st statement date? Did you meet your spend requirement IN that statement cycle?

Chase does NOT expedite any points, unlike AMEX. Chase bonus always come after the statement of the cycle the spend requirement is met, is closed. AND, the bonus process is in batch, and the cut off date often is a couple days BEFORE your statement date if your last charges to meet the requirement happen to miss the batch process cut-off date of that week.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy
You mean you have met the $3K spent yet no bonus point posted on the statement you met the spend requirement?

When is your 1st statement date? Did you meet your spend requirement IN that statement cycle?

Chase does NOT expedite any points, unlike AMEX. Chase bonus always come after the statement of the cycle the spend requirement is met, is closed. AND, the bonus process is in batch, and the cut off date often is a couple days BEFORE your statement date if your last charges to meet the requirement happen to miss the batch process cut-off date of that week.
statement hasn't closed yet, it closes 8/16 even though I opened the card in June...I was just saying on the fact that she was saying I have only spent 900 when that is clearly not the case
Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:55 pm

Hah! You know what, I had a similar conversation with an Amex rep once. I made a payment of xyz (so I had SPENT xyz). She said the exact same thing and quoted on the current balance. A bit amusing, really.

I'm waiting for my 3k spend bonus to post. I actually met it in the first month but probably missed it by a day before the cut off date. I'm expecting the 3k spend bonus to post in my second statement, which should be later this month. ^

Originally Posted by ianturner
statement hasn't closed yet, it closes 8/16 even though I opened the card in June...I was just saying on the fact that she was saying I have only spent 900 when that is clearly not the case
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by BOShappyflyer
Hah! You know what, I had a similar conversation with an Amex rep once. I made a payment of xyz (so I had SPENT xyz). She said the exact same thing and quoted on the current balance. A bit amusing, really.

I'm waiting for my 3k spend bonus to post. I actually met it in the first month but probably missed it by a day before the cut off date. I'm expecting the 3k spend bonus to post in my second statement, which should be later this month. ^

I don't understand what you meant by "probably missed it by a day before the cut off date". On the first page of your Chase CC statement, there is a line called "Purchases". The total of "purchases" of each bill, from the first to the latest, shows how much you have spent since you activated your card.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:57 pm

Typing from mobile; sorry, should've been clearer, but it's exactly as happy explained above. Ex: Say, my statement date is supposed to be 20th of every month. In the first month and by the 20th date, I spent 3k. However, the last of the charges that add up to the 3k spend was charged on the 19th. There is a day or two cutoff time before the statement generated. Since my last charge
was too close to the statement cutoff, chase won't see that I've met my spend requirement until the next statement.

Originally Posted by BonusLover
I don't understand what you meant by "probably missed it by a day before the cut off date". On the first page of your Chase CC statement, there is a line called "Purchases". The total of "purchases" of each bill, from the first to the latest, shows how much you have spent since you activated your card.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by gce
if i transfer my current $2,000 balance over from another card to this one, will there be a fee?
Typically yes, but it always depends on the fine print in the offer

Originally Posted by gce
also, will this count towards my first $3,000 spent?
That would be a negative, the $3k has to be in spend (so Chase & Visa collect their discount rate) in the first 90 days of applying (not 90 days from approval).
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by BOShappyflyer
Typing from mobile; sorry, should've been clearer, but it's exactly as happy explained above. Ex: Say, my statement date is supposed to be 20th of every month. In the first month and by the 20th date, I spent 3k. However, the last of the charges that add up to the 3k spend was charged on the 19th. There is a day or two cutoff time before the statement generated. Since my last charge
was too close to the statement cutoff, chase won't see that I've met my spend requirement until the next statement.
OK, so in that case your total "purchases" has not reached $3,000 yet. In my experience, transactions normally post in 1-2 days (most of them in one day).
Old Jul 15, 2011, 1:19 pm

Not receiving the 50K Bump as originally emailed

After requesting the 50K bump on 6/20 I received the 'I feel that every relationship is based on mutual trust and support, including one between a bank and a customer. As a gesture of commitment to you, I have added additional 50,000 points to the rewards balance on your account. This adjustment will reflect on your next statement', email.

My statement closed with only the 50000 points for the 3K purchase, I enquired and received the the following response:

'Our records indicate that you applied for an enrollment bonus of 50,000 reward points for spending $3,000.00 or more within 93 days of the account open date. You received these bonus reward points on the July 4, 2011 billing statement. Unfortunately, we are only able to honor the promotional offer that you actually applied for. The 100,000 enrollment bonus offer was an invitation only offer and is non-transferable.'

Tried to explain I hadn't applied for the 100000K promotion but was offered an additional 50000 points as a gesture of their commitment on top the 50000 points for 3k spend and received the following:

Please be advised the previous correspondence offering the additional rewards was sent in error.
As indicated in our previous response, the Chase Sapphire credit card application offering 100,000 bonus points is non-transferable. The offer is by invitation only and we are unable to apply the offer to an account that does not belong to the recipient of the mailing.Unless you can provide the Offer Code, your name and zip code as listed on the solicitation and the unique Invitation Number included on the direct mail sent to you,we are considering this issue closed. We regret any inconvenience this may cause you.
We also believe that our previous responses adequately addressed those concerns. Please be advised that future inquiries, which reflect the same concerns and contain no new information, will be filed with the account records and you will not receive a response.

Anyone else getting this???

Last edited by stsd; Jul 15, 2011 at 1:46 pm Reason: add additional info
Old Jul 15, 2011, 1:56 pm

Wow they shut you down hard.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by stsd
...I received the 'I feel that every relationship is based on mutual trust and support, including one between a bank and a customer. As a gesture of commitment to you, I have added additional 50,000 points to the rewards balance on your account. This adjustment will reflect on your next statement', email...(then) Please be advised the previous correspondence offering the additional rewards was sent in error.
So, they are saying that they promised you 50,000 extra points, but that they did so in error. Since they are admitting the error was on their part, it seems that they should honor the promise made to you.

By the way, Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Jul 15, 2011, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by muji
So, they are saying that they promised you 50,000 extra points, but that they did so in error. Since they are admitting the error was on their part, it seems that they should honor the promise made to you.

By the way, Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Thanks for the welcome, I've been following flyertalk for the last 18 months just hadn't posted yet. Thought this deserved a post, I agree they should honor their original commitment but 50K isn't all bad. Yes you are correst, their email on trust and commitment was sent to me in error. Thanks everyone for their great advise in the past, which btw is how I discovered the 50K offer and the 50K bump in the first place, glad at least some got it. Any suggestions on how to proceed.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 4:53 pm
In memoriam

Just to get things straight - I have to spend $3k on the card within 90 days - not pay $3k in charges on my bills within 90 days - yes (I'm not in a big hurry to get the points). Robyn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.