Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2010, 7:08 pm

Programs: OnePass
Originally Posted by philemer
After discussing this via private emails, thru chase.com, they produced a list of bonus miles I'd received in the past and said "sorry, no more bonuses".
Interesting. How many years back did their list go?

I am debating whether to apply for a new Continental card. I had one back in 2005-2006 and am thinking that it might be off their radar.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 1:43 pm

Unfortunately the Chase persons one talks do not know themselves the reasons--they just guess/ make things up to sound smart.

Originally Posted by flyertm
Tried for the BA 100,000 in November and was rejected. Tried for the Sapphire recently and was rejected. I only have 2 current Chase cards - Cash PlusRewards cards which pay 5% cashback on groceries, pharmacy, gas, grandfathered in, as these are not offered anymore. They are over 3 years old with never any late payments. My credit score 740-750.

First CSR said rejected because "too many inquiries. and that over 4 is too many" 2nd CSR said "too many inquiries," but couldnt say how many was too many. I tried to explain to her, asking how can you know its "too many" if you cant specify the number of how many would make it "too many." There must be a threshold. She couldn't understand this point, just stating that they look at the total picture. I do have quite a few inquiries, but after being denied for the BA 100k and now the Sapphire, I am dismayed. So will I have to wait another 6 months or longer, apply again, only to be rejected again? Advice other than trying to find a sympathetic CSR?

Amex had no problem approving me this week after I was denied for the Chase.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 3:08 pm

I applied for and was approved for a Chase Continental MC three months ago.

I had a Chase United MC, but closed the account because I didn't want to pay the annual fee. I closed the account maybe 2 years ago.

Today an offer for a Chase United Visa comes. 30,000 United miles after $250 in purchases within 3 months.

My question: If I apply for the new Visa card, will I be approved, or denied because I have gotten a Chase card in the last 6 months, or because I am not a first time Chase United card customer (although I read the terms of the offer and it doesn't say anything about first time customer).

Is a MC account different from a Visa account?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Sep 3, 2010, 3:56 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
I received a United MP card in April and a Continental OP card in May, so this policy is definitely not uniform.
YMMV
Old Sep 3, 2010, 4:04 pm

Programs: AMEX Gold MR into Avios, MileagePlus; AAdvantage; Skypesos
Originally Posted by onthego15
I received a United MP card in April and a Continental OP card in May, so this policy is definitely not uniform.
YMMV
You just motivated me to apply by the end of the month for the United MP. I just received OnePass Plus about a month ago.
Hopefully my mileage will be equal
Old Sep 3, 2010, 4:47 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Some people have received a targeted offer of 50000 for the United MP card, though 30000 is all that's offered on United.com
See last page of this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...motion-30.html
Old Sep 7, 2010, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
I had opened a Chase Marriott card at the end of last year and wanted to switch over to a Chase UA card in March. I was initially denied, but when I called in and got through three levels of CSRs, someone was finally able to authorize my new Chase UA card. In theory, my Marriott card was supposed to be closed, but it still appears to be open, just with a $100 credit limit while my new UA card has the credit limit that the Marriott card originally had. The lower level CSRs were adamant that there was no way to get the denial reconsidered but being persistent paid off. Even got the new card bonus on the UA one in addition to the new card bonus on the Marriott one.
I am in a similar situation. I have 3 Chase cards and recently applied for Marriott 50K offer. I was declined because I had too many recent accounts. So I offered to reallocate some CL from my existing accounts but no go. But they did offer to close 1 of my account. However I was unable to close any because of various issues. Does anybody who has in been in similar situation please advise on -

1) do they really close the old account. If they leave the account open with a $100 CL, that is fine with me.
2) if they do close the old account, is there a way to open it again without going through a credit pull.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 2:44 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by onthego15
Some people have received a targeted offer of 50000 for the United MP card, though 30000 is all that's offered on United.com
See last page of this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...motion-30.html
There appears to be no consistency by Chase.

I have had many UAL Chase cards. Got the 50K promo email at a time (a few months ago) when I had closed them all. Got the 50K card with no problems. (it was just under six months from time of last UAL acct closing).

Recently applied for Conti Chase card. Never had one before. Turned down for some bogus reasons about inqueries. In times past would have certainly gotten the card.

Chase is nuts. Not that the rest of the banks are so sane.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gv111
I am in a similar situation. I have 3 Chase cards and recently applied for Marriott 50K offer. I was declined because I had too many recent accounts. So I offered to reallocate some CL from my existing accounts but no go. But they did offer to close 1 of my account. However I was unable to close any because of various issues. Does anybody who has in been in similar situation please advise on -

1) do they really close the old account. If they leave the account open with a $100 CL, that is fine with me.
2) if they do close the old account, is there a way to open it again without going through a credit pull.
1) the $100 CL cards are definitely closed despite they show online. The OP should call the number at the back of the card and he/she would hear the automatic message to inform the card is closed. Chase always leave some $ on the closed card in case there are still unbilled activities. In the past they actually left $500 instead of $100. Visa Signature requires 5K minimum CL fyi. Visa Platinum can have 2K minimum CL.

2) No you cannot re-open the closed accounts after 30 days.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by Happy
2) No you cannot re-open the closed accounts after 30 days.
Thanks for the info. Does it mean that I can reopen the account within 30 days? Also the account that I could close is a Signature card. So if they will leave only $100 on that, will that be an issue if I tried opening it again.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:54 am

Programs: UA, AA
I couldn't resist the temptation (it's been only about five months from the last application), so I just went ahead and applied for Chase Hyatt card. Not surprisingly, I received the dreaded "application pending" message. I will update how it goes.

Last edited by nydad; Sep 9, 2010 at 11:02 am
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Thanks for the info. Does it mean that I can reopen the account within 30 days? Also the account that I could close is a Signature card. So if they will leave only $100 on that, will that be an issue if I tried opening it again.
Would probably run into the same problem you had in trying to open a new card. Bottom line, in my opinion, you will not be able to reach your goal of getting a additional card opened.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I never try to re-open a closed card but always being told in written letter that I could re-open it within 30 days. Bear in mind this is experience from before the CARD Act and before the financial crisis. I also dont know if a Hard Pull is needed in order to re-open account these days. In the past my understanding is No.

Yes, with only $100 in it if you want to re-open a Visa Signature, you need to have 5K from somewhere else to re-allocate to this card in order to meet the minimum requirement.

I believe deant's assessment of your situation is probably on target.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:16 am

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by nydad
I couldn't resist the temptation (it's been only about five months from the last application), so I just went ahead and applied for Chase Hyatt card. Not surprisingly, I received the dreaded "application pending" message. I will update how it goes.
My application is still pending, while my spouse's got just approved. We both had our last applications in April (I guess) for UA 50K deal.

Update:

Just learned that my Chase-Hyatt application was denied, based upon the number of inquires in the last two years (9 was the number). I asked reconsideration and the CSR told me that she would recommend approval if I close down one of my two Chase accounts (BA and UA). I gladly complied, and I am waiting for a final approval.

Last edited by nydad; Sep 14, 2010 at 1:08 pm
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:54 am

Thanks for the update nydad. Let us know how the final approval goes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.