Wiki Posts
Search

Costa Rica closes ports of entry

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Costa Rica closes ports of entry

Costa Rica will close its borders to foreign visitors at 11:59 pm Wednesday evening, March 18. The ban will run through "at least" April 12. Citizens and foreign residents will be allowed to return but will have to go through a mandatory 14-day quarantine on arrival. No one else will be allowed to board transportation to Costa Rica.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:42 am

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
Costa Rica will close its borders to foreign visitors at 11:59 pm Wednesday evening, March 18. The ban will run through "at least" April 12. Citizens and foreign residents will be allowed to return but will have to go through a mandatory 14-day quarantine on arrival. No one else will be allowed to board transportation to Costa Rica.
Wow! This is Big! What will this do to the economy which depends on tourism?
How is the mood?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by klakhav
Wow! This is Big! What will this do to the economy which depends on tourism?
How is the mood?
It's eerily quiet. This will be a dismal year in tourism, no doubt. Holy Week is coming up. It's the biggest tourist week of the year, and it will fall during the ban. Many tourist-related businesses did not survive the global recession a decade ago. I fear that will be the case again.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
A friend who is in San Jose informed me Today that '20 chefs arrived from US' - to open restaurants? COuld not be true - could it?
Then I looked at the flight schedule and sure enough, there are direct flights from US to SJO on United and AA.
Are the flights still running? Should these '20 chefs' not be in 14-day quarantine?
In your opinion how long will this embargo last?

Thanks
Old Mar 23, 2020, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Hmmmm. That's interesting. The emergency decree said no non-resident foreigner can come to Costa Rica, period, so I don't know how these people got on a flight. At the very least, they'd have to be quarantined on arrival.

A few airlines fly in and out, although they have drastically scaled back service. There are still foreigners in CR and Costa Ricans abroad who need to return home, but their window of opportunity is closing fast. UA's last flight in tomorrow; AA's last flight is Wednesday. DL will stop early next week. The emergency decree runs through April 12 and these airlines say they will resume service in May. (BA will not come back until July.) That will all be subject to reevaluation.
Old May 8, 2020, 10:56 am

Do you know if they will open the airport after June 15th? Thanks
Old May 8, 2020, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Everybody sure hopes so, but no one can say for sure. This will make three months with all ports of entry being closed.

Do you have a trip scheduled, klakhav? You mentioned you know somebody in Costa Rica.
Old May 27, 2020, 3:52 pm

Scheduled visit - yes!

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
Everybody sure hopes so, but no one can say for sure. This will make three months with all ports of entry being closed.

Do you have a trip scheduled, klakhav? You mentioned you know somebody in Costa Rica.
Thanks, Man. I did have a scheduled visit (dentist) had to postpone it indefinitely. I do watch TeleTico and other TV stations and it economic doom and gloom. The world is opening up but the government in Costa Rica is worried about Nicaragua and Panama borders.
A gift shop owner stated(on Teletica) that they made 10K Colones in a day (about $20) but in the past they were making 200K Colones in a day ($400). The rich in CR is not effected by closed borders but the average Tico/Tica is. The government of Costa Rica is decimating its economy for years.
They need to open the airports now and they may start seeing traffic in the late June/July time frame.
Thanks for your post.
Old May 27, 2020, 5:26 pm
Suspended

I hope to visit in December.
Old May 27, 2020, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Diuwer and klakhav, I hope you both can make your trips.
Old May 29, 2020, 6:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
We are relocating to Costa Rica and were due to come over the day before the borders closed. We got as far as LGW in the lounge but decided it wasn't right to do so at that time - that twinned with residency applications not being accepted at the moment. We're waiting eagerly for news from Costa Rica about its borders and resumption of flights. We're tentatively booked on 1st July at the moment but will wait to see - remaining optimistic but ultimately I hope whatever is right for CR happens - healthcare versus economy is not an easy choice for any government.
Old May 29, 2020, 10:22 am
Original Poster

I hope you can make it, guytp. Costa Rica has been taking things one month at a time. The current border closure runs until June 15, por lo menos (at least). All the directives are careful to qualify it that way.
Old May 29, 2020, 5:12 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Por lo menos indeed ... Now until Jun 30. Let's see what the universe has planned for us on Jul 1! We'll get there when it's right, no rushing Pura Vida
Old May 29, 2020, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Yes. That was just announced today. You have to keep telling yourself "Pura vida!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.