Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Belize City->Tikal->Beaches in Belize overland. Practical?

Old Jun 16, 19, 1:02 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many

Is this a workable trip? Fly from US to Belize City and go direct from the airport to Tikal, then stay somewhere near there or cross back into Belize that evening and then go somewhere along the coast for a few days on the beach in Belize? Not familiar with the quality of the roads. Also...suggestions on the best beaches in Belize that are reasonably accessible, beautiful, have at least decent hotels and aren't mobbed. Thanks!
Old Jun 16, 19, 8:13 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
I'm not aware of any prearranged trips straight from BZE to Tikal, but my wife and I flew into BZE, took a cab to the bus station and bussed from Belize City to San Ignacio. Spent the night there, and then did a Tikal day trip the next day leaving at 7:00 AM and getting back to San Ignacio around 7:00 PM. Renting your own car can make it faster I'm sure, but I don't know the policy of bringing a Belizean car into Guatemala.

Chris
Old Jun 17, 19, 8:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO View Post
I'm not aware of any prearranged trips straight from BZE to Tikal, but my wife and I flew into BZE, took a cab to the bus station and bussed from Belize City to San Ignacio. Spent the night there, and then did a Tikal day trip the next day leaving at 7:00 AM and getting back to San Ignacio around 7:00 PM. Renting your own car can make it faster I'm sure, but I don't know the policy of bringing a Belizean car into Guatemala.

Chris
How are the roads as you head west towards the border? I think there are tour companies that will pick you up on arrival, just wasn't sure how long it should really take to get to Tikal.
Old Jun 17, 19, 11:37 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Tikal is definitely worth more than a day. Also, the roads in Guatemala (with the possible exception of the one from Flores to Tikal) aren't great, and traveling after dark isn't recommended for safety reasons. I would stay a night (if not two) somewhere near Tikal. There are some other, far less visited archaeological sites nearby as well.
Old Jun 17, 19, 1:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Plan on about 4.5 to 5 hours to get from Belize City to Tikal. You don't say where you originate from, but when does your flight get into BZE? If it's too late in the day, I'd set out the next morning. I agree that the Tikal area warrants at least a night if not more. I've never been impressed with the lodges on the Tikal grounds. You have a lot more to choose from in the nearby towns of Flores and Santa Elena. Flores is the "cuter" of the two. I like the place.
Old Jun 17, 19, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by SJOGuy View Post
I've never been impressed with the lodges on the Tikal grounds. You have a lot more to choose from in the nearby towns of Flores and Santa Elena. Flores is the "cuter" of the two.
Have you stayed at the lodges on park grounds? I've been seriously thinking of doing so myself - I was at Tikal almost 20 years ago (did a day trip from Flores) but have been thinking of going again just on my own and spending some more time. I would love to spend some time wandering around the site when it's not crowded. Any feedback you might have on the lodges would be appreciated! What didn't you like about them?
Old Jun 20, 19, 8:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Plan on about 4.5 to 5 hours to get from Belize City to Tikal. You don't say where you originate from, but when does your flight get into BZE? If it's too late in the day, I'd set out the next morning. I agree that the Tikal area warrants at least a night if not more. I've never been impressed with the lodges on the Tikal grounds. You have a lot more to choose from in the nearby towns of Flores and Santa Elena. Flores is the "cuter" of the two. I like the place.
I think there are flights in BZE landing pretty early in the AM. Would it be reasonable to go direct BZE to Tikal, spend the day there, overnight in Flores, return to Tikal in the AM then go from Tikal to the beach in Belize?
Old Jun 20, 19, 10:53 am

I thought the Tikal lodges were kind of plain. As I remember, there was nothing special about them. That's all I have to go on, so that may not be fair. I thought the town of Flores was charming. GetSetJetSet, you don't say where you're flying from. Do you want a 4-5 hour overland trip immediately after landing at BZE?
Old Jun 20, 19, 2:58 pm

I thought the Tikal lodges were kind of plain. As I remember, there was nothing special about them. That's all I have to go on, so that may not be fair. I thought the town of Flores was charming. GetSetJetSet, you don't say where you're flying from. Do you want a 4-5 hour overland trip immediately after landing at BZE?
Thanks for the elaboration - I'm not looking for anything special; I'd just want to stay as close to the site as possible to be able to enjoy it early/late without the tourist crowds.
Old Jun 20, 19, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA View Post
Thanks for the elaboration - I'm not looking for anything special; I'd just want to stay as close to the site as possible to be able to enjoy it early/late without the tourist crowds.
If I remember correctly, you still have to be out when the ruins close even though you're on the grounds. You can't go wandering around on your own at night. You can "revisit" the ruins in the evening for another admission fee and stay until 7:30. If you do that you have to be accompanied by a guide. And I think the supplemental evening visits might only be around the time of the full moon.

Last edited by SJOGuy; Jun 20, 19 at 6:54 pm
Old Jun 23, 19, 1:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Flying in from NYC so no jetlag issues, I can handle a 4-5 hour trip direct from the airport no problem.
Old Jun 23, 19, 3:52 am

There's no real jet lag per se, although this time of year, Belize and Guatemala are two hours earlier than NYC. (They observe Central STANDARD Time year round. No DST) I'm just thinking after getting off your flight, do you want a 4-5 hour overland trip?
Old Jun 30, 19, 12:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

There's no real jet lag per se, although this time of year, Belize and Guatemala are two hours earlier than NYC. (They observe Central STANDARD Time year round. No DST) I'm just thinking after getting off your flight, do you want a 4-5 hour overland trip?
Yea, seems fine to me.
Old Jun 17, 20, 8:04 am

I absolutely love San Pedro, great beaches and plenty of dive shops so you can enjoy the sun, sand, and sea.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: