Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Corona Flight Cancellation experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Corona Flight Cancellation experiences

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2020, 3:49 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I'd like to report back my friend's experience:
Redeemed HKG-(CX-U)-TPE-(JL-U)-KIX in Sep. 2019 (30000 AM). Took the HKGTPE flight in Sep. 2019 while the TPEKIX flight in Apr. 2020 was cancelled. Called in early Apr. and insisted prorated mileage refund. After several emails and calls back and forth, he got the prorated mileage refund today (so ~1.5 months since the first call), 203xx AM.

Big thanks on his behalf to everyone especially @percysmith.
Hang on
I thought they’d reprice the itin (ie 30,000 —> 16,000), and refund the difference

If your friend got back 20,300, that is pro-rated calculation (I can’t exactly reverse engineer it but it looks similar to (1,560-501)/1,560 x30,000 Great Circle Mapper ?!)
Old May 18, 2020, 7:45 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by percysmith
flyformiles suggested partially-used refunds possible “Goodwill Gesture”

I don’t think it’s for everyone.
It’s only if your itinerary is disrupted and one of the following is true:
- your truncated itinerary results in a different redemption distance zone (eg his example results in a Short going to an Ultra-Short);
- you’re re-using the miles to redeem new tix for same origin and destination (eg you’re an evacuee trying to rebook a oneworld redemption to get home) (a form of 10.2.2.2 right).

Since my AKL-HKG(travelled)-HND(cancelled) results in same Long-Type 2 zone even with HND cut out, I didn’t get much give from the AM and MPO agents I spoke to this morning.

Hang on
I thought they’d reprice the itin (ie 30,000 —> 16,000), and refund the difference

If your friend got back 20,300, that is pro-rated calculation (I can’t exactly reverse engineer it but it looks similar to (1,560-501)/1,560 x30,000 Great Circle Mapper ?!)
That's right, and thanks to you because you shared this Facebook post. We didn't refer to this post in our communication with MPO, but we decided to push for it after seeing this post. At first, MPO said unused tax refund only. Then, MPO offered to refund 30000-16000=14000AM. We then cited CX's guideline for partial refund of revenue tickets (which is prorated). Finally, MPO gave in and refunded 203xx AM (the same formula mentioned by you and the Facebook post you shared).
Old May 18, 2020, 7:55 am

That's right, and thanks to you because you shared this Facebook post. We didn't refer to this post in our communication with MPO, but we decided to push for it after seeing this post. At first, MPO said unused tax refund only. Then, MPO offered to refund 30000-16000=14000AM. We then cited CX's guideline for partial refund of revenue tickets (which is prorated). Finally, MPO gave in and refunded 203xx AM (the same formula mentioned by you and the Facebook post you shared).
I’ve been on the phone with two different agents for the past hour, asking for Hkg-hnd partial refund after AKL-Hkg travelled Great Circle Mapper

the first agent says no miles refunds, “manager says so”. I just hung up on him.

the other exchange was kafkaesque:
“Exceptional refund”
A pro-rate refund please
“No miles refund due”
Gave her your calculations
“This is because ernestnywang’s case has a partner carrier. If partner, we do distance pro-rate. If pure CX/KA, we do recalculate. There is a difference.”

I’ll do a few errands first, then try the graveyard shift. I won’t mention a partner is involved to give them one less excuse.
HarbourGent likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 8:10 am

I’ve been on the phone with two different agents for the past hour, asking for Hkg-hnd partial refund after AKL-Hkg travelled Great Circle Mapper

the first agent says no miles refunds, “manager says so”. I just hung up on him.

the other exchange was kafkaesque:
“Exceptional refund”
A pro-rate refund please
“No miles refund due”
Gave her your calculations
“This is because ernestnywang’s case has a partner carrier. If partner, we do distance pro-rate. If pure CX/KA, we do recalculate. There is a difference.”

I’ll do a few errands first, then try the graveyard shift. I won’t mention a partner is involved to give them one less excuse.
Hmm indeed the activity says "Japan Airlines Goodwill Miles," and someone was handling all the partial refund cases involving JL. Not sure why this isn't a decision CX can make on its own. CX only pays JL after the JL segment is taken anyway.
Old May 18, 2020, 10:54 am

Hmm indeed the activity says "Japan Airlines Goodwill Miles," and someone was handling all the partial refund cases involving JL. Not sure why this isn't a decision CX can make on its own. CX only pays JL after the JL segment is taken anyway.
Called a third agent half an hour ago. The agent was happy to go to bat for me with Ticketing and see if your result can be replicated for me.

I did not mention a partner was involved this time, but if he reviewed my numbers it might be deducted yours had a partner.

I mentioned I was expecting 9,6xx AM.

Agent called me back under 10 minutes “they picked up quickly. No, zone difference only.”
Old May 18, 2020, 11:54 am

Called a third agent half an hour ago. The agent was happy to go to bat for me with Ticketing and see if your result can be replicated for me.

I did not mention a partner was involved this time, but if he reviewed my numbers it might be deducted yours had a partner.

I mentioned I was expecting 9,6xx AM.

Agent called me back under 10 minutes “they picked up quickly. No, zone difference only.”
The only difference other than partner being involved may be that he has MPO GR while you are only AM, if that even matters, lol?
Old May 18, 2020, 5:14 pm

The only difference other than partner being involved may be that he has MPO GR while you are only AM, if that even matters, lol?
Although I called in, wife is GR...
Old May 19, 2020, 12:31 am

Although I called in, wife is GR...
See if writing an email citing CX's partial refund policy for revenue tickets (FAQs for Travel Agents For Passengers traveling on Cathay Pacific Airways & Cathay Dragon | Cathay Pacific Airways Limited) would help. That's what we did.

By the way, I thought the Tsuen Wan didn't allow a higher tier member to call in when dealing only with the lower tier member's account. You can only do that if both accounts are involved in one inquiry. e. g., booking a multi-passenger award reservation and deducting miles from different accounts. I previously used my membership number to ask questions for my mom and was told I would need to call again using my mom' membership number, even though I had asked a question for my own account before switching to my mom's. I know long time ago the Tsuen Wan didn't care. Have they started not caring again?
percysmith and michaeltchuang like this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 4:55 pm

AM extended cancellations to end of June https://www.asiamiles.com/en/support...de-travel-2004
To 31 December 2020 now https://www.asiamiles.com/en/support...rldwide-travel
Old Sep 6, 2020, 1:57 pm

Does this mean the same change but for cash purchases will be imminent too?
Old Sep 6, 2020, 2:07 pm

Old Sep 8, 2020, 3:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP
If my outbound is in Dec and return in Jan, am I eligible for full refund?
Old Sep 8, 2020, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by flyingstudent
If my outbound is in Dec and return in Jan, am I eligible for full refund?
Yes I believe so. Whenever any one of your segment occurs.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Dan1113
It was indeed, and my flight at the end of December has now been refunded in full at my request.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 1:52 am

I have a late December one-way redemption ticket HKG-SFO-HND issued at 12:19 am 24 March 2020 HKT i.e.just passed 23 March 2020 very marginally (the last issue date Special Ticketing Guideline accepts). As it stands, there is very slim chance that I could actually travel to New York or Tokyo because of Covid-19 and relevant travel restrictions. The booking was made online, and I believe I began the booking before midnight (searching for flights, confirming flight details, entering passenger details etc prior to payment). Is it possible to argue that the booking was actually made on 23 March 2020 (started booking process) or the Special Ticketing Guideline did not specify the timezone relevant to "on or before 23 March 2020", so that my booking is covered under the Guideline. Are anyone in similar situation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.