FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Corona Flight Cancellation experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/2007515-corona-flight-cancellation-experiences.html)

Eagle2000 Feb 4, 2020 8:14 am

Corona Flight Cancellation experiences

I have a booking on a flight to HK (CX 825) A350-1000 mid-March to Melbourne transiting through HK. I noticed on the booking site that that flight is NOT on there anymore...However my flight is still showing up on my manage booking as confirmed.

Anyone else notice this and will they let me cancel the flight and get a full refund if the flight does not exist anymore?

On the news it has been mentioned that Cathay is cutting capacity by 30%. It looks like they are cancelling the Sunday Wed, Friday 2:30 PM A350 flights from YYZ...

tentseller Feb 4, 2020 10:27 am

Originally Posted by eagle215 (Post 32031392)

On the news it has been mentioned that Cathay is cutting capacity by 30%. It looks like they are cancelling the Sunday Wed, Friday 2:30 PM A350 flights from YYZ...

I got lie flat Y on CX829 Feb3, row 40.
​​​​​​
​​​​Plane was about half full in Y but full PEY

Eagle2000 Feb 4, 2020 11:20 am

Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 32031879)
I got lie flat Y on CX829 Feb3, row 40.
​​​​​​
​​​​Plane was about half full in Y but full PEY

Oh, my ticket is in Mid March.....my ticket says its operating but if you search there is no 2:30 pm flight anymore....

tentseller Feb 4, 2020 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by eagle215 (Post 32032049)
Oh, my ticket is in Mid March.....my ticket says its operating but if you search there is no 2:30 pm flight anymore....

Do you have any notation for CX825 in "My Bookings" ?

Eagle2000 Feb 4, 2020 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 32032291)
Do you have any notation for CX825 in "My Bookings" ?

No...I'm going to wait a couple of days and if this is still the case call in...

VTrain Feb 4, 2020 1:03 pm

I am in the same boat for my 3/20 CX899 from EWR to HKG. I'm assuming they will contact me eventually, there's a lot of people they have to get through (maybe chronologically?).

Eagle2000 Feb 4, 2020 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by VTrain (Post 32032468)
I am in the same boat for my 3/20 CX899 from EWR to HKG. I'm assuming they will contact me eventually, there's a lot of people they have to get through (maybe chronologically?).

Ugh, I hope we both get our issues resolved....I booked that flight on purpose because its A350-1000...

moondog Feb 5, 2020 2:08 am

I've heard that they are zeroing out a lot of flights now, and the next step is for them to decide which ones to formally cancel, though some of the upcoming cancellations are already pretty much written in stone.

paolo64 Feb 5, 2020 3:15 am

I’m doing the reverse route, also March ;HKG-EWR CX890 has disappeared . The JFK flight ( 777-300ER) is still there so I guess they are effectively combining the two

Originally Posted by VTrain (Post 32032468)

Passmethesickbag Feb 5, 2020 4:35 am

HKG-SYD flight in late March mysteriously zeroed out — prelude to cancellation?

I'm booked on CX161 (the 2115 service to HKG) in late March. A colleague is now trying to book the same flight and it's mysteriously zeroed out in all classes (last time I checked, about a week ago, it was wide open in Economy, as the other three flights on that day still are. The seat map for my fight is about half full in Business and Premium Economy, and less than half full in Economy. I note on Expertflyer that this flight is not operating on 24 March, and all seats are zeroed out on 25—28 March. Would this suggest that CX is planning to cut down the frequency on this route by dropping the mid-evening flight, and that I should expect notice of it being cancelled in the near future? Also, if this happens, would they rebook me on any flight where my travel class is available, or would it have to be the same booking class?

percysmith Feb 5, 2020 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag (Post 32034875)
I'm booked on CX161 (the 2115 service to HKG) in late March. A colleague is now trying to book the same flight and it's mysteriously zeroed out in all classes (last time I checked, about a week ago, it was wide open in Economy, as the other three flights on that day still are. The seat map for my fight is about half full in Business and Premium Economy, and less than half full in Economy. I note on Expertflyer that this flight is not operating on 24 March, and all seats are zeroed out on 25—28 March. Would this suggest that CX is planning to cut down the frequency on this route by dropping the mid-evening flight, and that I should expect notice of it being cancelled in the near future? Also, if this happens, would they rebook me on any flight where my travel class is available, or would it have to be the same booking class?

I see it too
I'm monitoring cos I've a CX161 in early April. But they haven't closed off the flight for then

I had a CX162 frequency cancel last May - they basically let me have free run of whatever other flights that day, in original booking class (Business)
I was originally redemption and CX162 was originally the only redemption availability, but they let me book into CX110/CX100/CX138 even tho redemption availability was not available then.

Passmethesickbag Feb 5, 2020 5:20 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 32034945)
I see it too
I'm monitoring cos I've a CX161 in early April. But they haven't closed off the flight for then

I had a CX162 frequency cancel last May - they basically let me have free run of whatever other flights that day, in original booking class (Business)
I was originally redemption and CX162 was originally the only redemption availability, but they let me book into CX110/CX100/CX138 even tho redemption availability was not available then.

Thanks! So that suggests they will rebook in same cabin as opposed to same booking code.

Eagle2000 Feb 5, 2020 7:15 am

Long story short, I had to call Cathay Pacific Holidays in Vancouver because I had booked a hotel room with my flight through the Cathay website. I called right at 9 am and got through immediately.

The agent told me that the flight is still on but they are not selling anymore tickets because the situation right now is fluid and we will be informed immediately if there are any changes. That was all she was able to tell me at the moment.

In my case it's a pleasure trip so if it gets cancelled then fine by me as long as I get a refund. I suppose I will just have to wait and see.

sbs2716g Feb 5, 2020 7:46 am

Originally Posted by eagle215 (Post 32035242)
Long story short, I had to call Cathay Pacific Holidays in Vancouver because I had booked a hotel room with my flight through the Cathay website. I called right at 9 am and got through immediately.

The agent told me that the flight is still on but they are not selling anymore tickets because the situation right now is fluid and we will be informed immediately if there are any changes. That was all she was able to tell me at the moment.

In my case it's a pleasure trip so if it gets cancelled then fine by me as long as I get a refund. I suppose I will just have to wait and see.

they are checking the loads on different days n try to decide which day to cancel n which day can reaccomdate the paxes. Thus not accepting new bookings now (or else paxes will complain why allow to book when you intend to cancel).

EWRTravelers Feb 5, 2020 9:40 am

I know they are working through this slowly but I really wish they would make a decision....

We were originally booked on the following:

1. JFK>HKG>HAN in late Feb (AA redemption) (CX841/KA295)
2. Siem Reap > HKG in early March (BA redemption) (KA249)
3. HKG > JFK two days later (AA redemption) (CX830)

Status of each:

1. The 5:30 PM HKG>HAN (KA295) flight has already been cancelled and we are now facing and an 18+ hour layover in HKG. We will now be on (CA841/KA297) Trying to resolve but cant get corresponding flights that have open award seats (ideally CX845/KA297)

2. Flight appears to still be on.

3. Currently on CX830 two days after REP>HKG but plan on moving that to the same day in order to limit transit time in HKG

Any thoughts/feedback on how best to address?