Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Corona Flight Cancellation experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Corona Flight Cancellation experiences

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2020, 5:00 am

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
ok so my flight home to Vancouver (KUL to HKG, HKG to YVR) on June 25th has been canceled and I've been moved to a day later, with a forced overnight in Hong Kong.

Really not sure what to do. It's still a ways away and I'm just going to leave it for now. But if HKG doesn't allow transit, and Vancouver still has a 14 day quarantine upon arrival there's no point going back to visit my family.
Old May 4, 2020, 5:40 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
You've got a distant hope, as is my holiday out of HKG also on the 25th. If you're very lucky then you can go still, if unlucky (sadly more likely) then you'll get about a week to cancel your plans:
This Regulation expires at midnight on 18 June 2020.

https://www.elegislation.gov.hk/hk/cap599E!en
Old May 7, 2020, 5:51 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by percysmith
Originally redeemed redemption for Easter 2020 in January 2020

Cancelled 1 April 2020
Miles came back today (both activity and crediting dates are dated today, +23 calendar days)

Original expiry retained, same as 36902BRF

I haven't seen the tax refund come back yet.
Newest refunds came back in 11 days (cancelled 26 April 2020, credited yesterday)

I crossed an expiry (my miles expiry 30 April). It was a refund of two HK-Aus PE Standard redemptions of 30k.
AM credited 30k to my 30 April 2022 bucket and 30k to my 30 April 2023 bucket.

So unless your miles have already expired, crossing the annual expiry date has no effect.

Still haven't seen my tax refund yet for 1 April cancellation.
ernestnywang likes this.

Last edited by percysmith; May 7, 2020 at 5:58 pm
Old May 8, 2020, 6:13 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Still haven't seen my tax refund yet for 1 April cancellation.
Sorry, a bit confused. Do you mean no tax refunded but miles have been refunded, or is this a partially used ticket that CX refused to give any miles back for?
Old May 8, 2020, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Sorry, a bit confused. Do you mean no tax refunded but miles have been refunded, or is this a partially used ticket that CX refused to give any miles back for?
Miles refunded

Tax refund promised but not received yet (I am not within end of refund chargeback period, so I will wait)
ernestnywang likes this.
Old May 8, 2020, 7:28 am

Miles refunded

Tax refund promised but not received yet (I am not within end of refund chargeback period, so I will wait)
I see. How long did it take for the miles to be refunded? Thanks!
Old May 8, 2020, 7:57 am

1 Apr: 23 days
26 Apr: 11 days
ernestnywang likes this.
Old May 8, 2020, 8:08 am

1 Apr: 23 days
26 Apr: 11 days
Thanks!
Old May 8, 2020, 2:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Apologies if this has been discussed earlier - I didn't see it specifically in an initial search.

I currently have have 5 RTW/Circle Pacific (A class) tickets booked for myself and family for travel in July. Tickets were purchased through a local travel agent last August. Some of the flights in the reservation have been cancelled, but the CX flights are still showing as scheduled. The travel was booked for my wedding which has now been rescheduled for July 2021. Tickets were originally purchased out of YVR, and CX waived difference in fare and changed departure city to LAX when F was cancelled out of YVR.

Moving forward, my options in order of preference would be:

1) Rebooking flights for 1 year in advance without paying the difference in fare (perhaps CX would do this rather than having to refund the tickets, but I'm not sure if its possible to postpone a full year with CX's booking window)

2) Get a full refund

3) Get CX credits and pay the difference in fare for next year.

I'd probably rather get a full refund than and look for other options than have to pay more on an already expensive ticket. My travel agent seems to be in business now, but who knows if that is guaranteed. The tickets were charged on my card to "CATHAY PACIFIC," does anyone know what would happen in the event of travel agent insolvency, even if CX has already been paid? I'm not sure if a chargeback is an option a year after the tickets were purchased.

I'm seeking advice on whether it would be smart to press for a full refund, or a rebook for next year. These tickets were very cumbersome to book (tried multiple times through CX, the agents told me that Circle Pacific routings weren't valid), and I know this next stage is going to be painful as well. I'd like to have a strategy in place before going down that road. Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old May 10, 2020, 4:53 pm

Programs: CX Life Time,TG,
I am happy to report my sixth cash refund from Cathay plus one rerouting when Cathay purchased a TG ticket to get me from BKK to MNL without transiting HKG. Excellent service and in stark contrast to PAL where it took me a week to find a web site where I could lodge a claim, their phone having been left off the hook. Receipt of the claim was acknowledged by a robot. Six weeks later I received a message saying that the refund had been processed but that I should kindly wait up to 90 banking days for the payment to be processed. Guess which of the two I will trust in future when I buy another ticket.
Old May 10, 2020, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu
I'd probably rather get a full refund than and look for other options than have to pay more on an already expensive ticket. My travel agent seems to be in business now, but who knows if that is guaranteed. The tickets were charged on my card to "CATHAY PACIFIC," does anyone know what would happen in the event of travel agent insolvency, even if CX has already been paid?
I think Cathay Pacific directly charged for these tickets. Your chargeback rights are with them, not with your travel agent.

I'm not sure if a chargeback is an option a year after the tickets were purchased.
"A Dispute must be processed no later than either:
- 120 calendar days from the Transaction Processing Date
- 120 calendar days from the last date that the Cardholder expected to receive the merchandise or services2

2 Not to exceed 540 calendar days from the Transaction Processing Date" https://usa.visa.com/dam/VCOM/downlo...c.pdf#page=690

1) Rebooking flights for 1 year in advance without paying the difference in fare (perhaps CX would do this rather than having to refund the tickets, but I'm not sure if its possible to postpone a full year with CX's booking window)
Is this an option?

If not, refund.
Old May 12, 2020, 10:52 pm

Originally redeemed redemption for Easter 2020 in January 2020

Cancelled 1 April 2020
Miles came back today (both activity and crediting dates are dated today, +23 calendar days)

Original expiry retained, same as 36902BRF

I haven't seen the tax refund come back yet.
Tax refund arrived 9 May (owing to Citi's insistence of ordering transactions by transaction date and these were January redemptions, I had no idea they posted until my statement arrived today) - 38 days.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 2:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
@percysmith, your info was all very helpful, thank you.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Global321
Fair question. New fare would be much more expensive.
Not complaining at all, these are difficult times and everyone is doing their best.
But, when the website says one thing, the agent says another (and next agent says different again), you just want to choose the best option for yourself.
Quick followup.
CX policy in practice seems to be rebooking at a later date is fine, but it cannot exceed the one year mark. No exceptions.
We rebooked for August and hope things look decent then.
Old May 18, 2020, 2:42 am

I'd like to report back my friend's experience:
Redeemed HKG-(CX-U)-TPE-(JL-U)-KIX in Sep. 2019 (30000 AM). Took the HKGTPE flight in Sep. 2019 while the TPEKIX flight in Apr. 2020 was cancelled. Called in early Apr. and insisted prorated mileage refund. After several emails and calls back and forth, he got the prorated mileage refund today (so ~1.5 months since the first call), 203xx AM.

Big thanks on his behalf to everyone especially @percysmith.
percysmith likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.