Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2020, 8:59 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by mkbshaw
expert flyer showing march hkg-yvr flights now 359 from 2x 773 and 1x 359.
Originally Posted by percysmith
damn. Uncle's cx865 yvr-hkg downgauged from 77h --> 35g this morn.
He was auto-rebooked for the same flight in j but he wants to stay for a couple more weeks anyway.

He's on a redemption f one-way tix, ticketed last december
i examined three options:

1. 20 mar is still a 77h but multiple agents cannot book or even waitlist on it. I wrote that off, i think the f cabin will be a "first cabin operated as business" even it it does fly out as a 77h.

2. 21 mar and 23 mar are still operating 77h.
But i can only waitlist - availability is f0 (even though on 23 mar seat map there's at least two seats)
i reckon cx is still making a decision on whether to operate f that day so is zeroing out the f cabin for now. I have to wait until f>0 to rebook him - have my ef set to notify me of that (even if the waitlist doesn't auto-clear).

3. 21 mar j redemption is wide open if f doesn't operate.
​​​​​​​
Old Feb 20, 2020, 10:08 pm

Programs: QF
CX still showing 773 for 888 on March 5th in manage my booking, but EF showing 359. Who will be correct?!
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by MKBshaw
CX still showing 773 for 888 on March 5th in manage my booking, but EF showing 359. Who will be correct?!
359 per Checkmytrip also
Old Feb 21, 2020, 12:03 am

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
CX692 (SIN-HKG, 06:40) got cancelled, putting me on CX714, 01:25. Now I see that one doesn't exist either. Found it myself - no notice received from CX as yet.
Can't see a way out of it since I arrive in SIN 7pm the previous day and the connection in HKG is 12:45pm.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 1:04 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
CX cancellation actually helped me, ended replacing LAX HKG with LAX NRT on JL and buying separate NRT-TPE / TPE-HKG on CX. That way I get to my meetings in TPE with no quarantine!
Old Feb 21, 2020, 2:43 am

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by LukeO9
CX692 (SIN-HKG, 06:40) got cancelled, putting me on CX714, 01:25. Now I see that one doesn't exist either. Found it myself - no notice received from CX as yet.
Can't see a way out of it since I arrive in SIN 7pm the previous day and the connection in HKG is 12:45pm.
So, I'm now out SIN the day before, overnight HKG. I wonder if I get a free hotel.
I had to change my flight into SIN = interesting. To change it I pay 1.5x the price of the new flight + a change fee. Gotta love the airlines.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 2:51 am

Programs: QF
Just had my flight dates "altered" for the 3rd time... getting a bit frustrated now.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 4:03 am

Programs: CX Life Time,TG,
This must be turning their fuel hedging book into a nightmare. The 35-40% cover that they had purchased must be around 100% now, and all at an average price of about $8/Bbl above the market.
brunos, MKBshaw and 36902BRF like this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by MKBshaw
Just had my flight dates "altered" for the 3rd time... getting a bit frustrated now.
Honestly I dropped CX metal after their second major change to my flights in March. I understand they are fighting for their life but I am done with their flight roulette. I hope they make it and will happily fly them again in the future but just as they are making business decisions so am I am and right now they are essentially unreliable in the sense of getting you to a certain place at a certain time (which after safety is perhaps the core function of an airline).
MKBshaw and kaffir76 like this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Perhaps. I flew, but I’m unsure that I’d chose this airline again. If was unsure just whose protection mattered - theirs or ours. It was indeed really off-putting, that and serving everything with surgical gloves as some were doing. Not all, but some.
There is a significant amount of misunderstanding around why people wear masks during times like this and it is deeply disappointing that CX would lose business over such a misunderstanding (as it seems they did from what you were told).

First of all, in normal times, it is common in parts of Asia such as Hong Kong for sick people to put on a surgical mask. This can only be interpreted as an action intended to prevent spreading their own sickness - not for their own protection.

Secondly, masks take on a role as part of the social contract. This is especially true when, for good reason, there is a lack of trust in official explanations and proclamations. The NY Times has an excellent backgrounder on this. Unfortunately it is behind a paywall but I do recommend reading if possible. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/13/o...effective.html

None of this is to say that people shouldn’t wash their hands better and more frequently... that is a sadly deficient practice!
PUCCI GALORE and ernestnywang like this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 7:02 am

Seems like CX likes using 77Ps for the evac jobs

20/2 AM: B-HNM

Tonight: B-HNH
Old Feb 21, 2020, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Seems like CX likes using 77Ps for the evac jobs

20/2 AM: B-HNM

Tonight: B-HNH
Actually, CX use 77P as it has the largest amount of seats (438 in total). There is also one (B-HNP) not coming back and stored in HND.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Perhaps. I flew, but Im unsure that Id chose this airline again. If was unsure just whose protection mattered - theirs or ours. It was indeed really off-putting, that and serving everything with surgical gloves as some were doing. Not all, but some.
Yours, TBH. Masks do not protect the wearer but to protect others from a sick wearer (ie a sick FA).

So while theyre religiously doing it thinking itll protect themselves, youre the actual beneficiary.

But I realise its offputting.
PUCCI GALORE and CXYYZ like this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: RIP
AA award DPS-HKG-LHR 25 FEB layover at Marriott at airport and dayflight to LHR 26 FEB. 4 pax doesnt make it easier.

Just got SMS and email HKG-LHR cancelled. No other info in SMS, but email said they were working on reroute.

Advice appreciated.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 8:53 am

My flight KA250 HKG-RGN on 21 Mar is cancelled and they moved me to KA254 on 22 Mar five days ago. I contacted BA to reticket my award ticket and my new ticket is confirmed. However KA254 is shown as operating according to their timetable online, but the flight is not sold anywhere including Cathay's official website... It makes me worried that they're considering cancelling KA254 on 22 Mar. Does anyone know why this (shown as operating but not sold) happens? Thanks everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.