Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2020, 9:01 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Does anyone know if there is something being worked on behind the scenes with CX and the Philippine Government?

bolding = emphasis mine
Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon passengers who are affected by these entry restrictions are entitled to a full refund for all tickets issued worldwide on/before 3 February 2020 for Cathay Pacific/ Cathay Dragon confirmed booking from 3 February 2020 to 14 February 2020. Please view our Special Ticketing Guidelines below for further details.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 9:01 am

Programs: Cathay Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Is anyone having trouble getting CX/MP to refund back miles? I cancelled an award ticket to China last week, booking disappeared from Mange My Booking, but then miles haven't gotten back to my account yet and I need the miles to redeem for something else. It usually takes maximum 1-2 days and It has been close to a week and miles aren't refunded.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Newark7
I have a MNL-HKG-EWR booked a couple weeks ago on CX & UA for my Filipino Mother-In-Law to come to the US for a couple months on 2/6 (3 hour transfer to UA in HKG). The new travel ban prohibits all Filipino citizens from flying to China and HKG/MFM. CX's website is only showing they're waiving change fees, while saying cancellation & refund penalties remain unchanged. Most other airlines are allowing cancellations with full refunds due to the extenuating circumstances of this Novel Coronavirus situation. I have a non-refundable fare, which normally you'd be out of luck when cancelling a reservation, however I think this situation should fall under their "Force Majeure" clause in the CX Contract of Carriage. Has anybody tried using this clause to force a refund with CX? My online travel agency (Vayama) is still saying I'm not due any refund, even with this newly instituted travel ban.

“FORCE MAJEURE” means unusual and unforeseeable circumstances beyond our control, the consequences of which could not have been avoided even if all due care has been exercised

3.1.3 Some Tickets are sold at discounted fares which may be partially or completely non-refundable. You should choose the fare best suited to your needs. You also may wish to ensure that you have appropriate insurance to cover instances where you have to cancel your Ticket.

3.1.4 If you have a Ticket, as described in 3.1.3 above, which is completely unused, and you are prevented from travelling due to Force Majeure, provided that you promptly advise us and furnish evidence of such Force Majeure, we will provide you with a credit of the non-refundable amount of the fare, for future travel on us, subject to deduction of a reasonable administration fee.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/conten...baggage-en.pdf
Part ot the problem here might be that the ticket was purchased through an OLTA, Vayama. You might want to look at the discussion about this outfit in the OLTA forum here on FT.
Newark7 and percysmith like this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 9:17 am

I have transit in HKG Feb 19, and again on Feb 29 coming back to UK - Cathay of course allowing people to reschedule their trip but not cancel.

Interestingly my insurance policy has the following under allowed reasons where they will cover me cancelling my trip:

..."the area in which you are staying is affected by pandemic or epidemic influenza"

Coronavirus technically not influenza, however I'm not sure if I'll be covered if a pandemic is declared as the wording above could be read to imply pandemic ONLY in the context of influenza.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by fgirard
Does anyone know if there is something being worked on behind the scenes with CX and the Philippine Government?

bolding = emphasis mine
no idea but think they want to minimize losses by going with short timeframe and wait to see if Philippines government backtrack. For me, I hope they extend Feb 14 deadline by few days so I can cancel my award booking without paying $120 refund penalty.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 10:17 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
CX will continue to suspend HGH, NBO, WNZ, HAK, and SYX till 28MAR (end of winter season), except HAK will operate on 08FEB. CAN is also cancelled till 29FEB.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...and-china.html
Old Feb 3, 2020, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Any word on CX suspending meal service on TPAC flights?
Old Feb 3, 2020, 12:11 pm

Not accepting calls

Calling the US 800 number and I’m being told to go online instead and hung up on. Any other way to contact CX? I’ve messaged on twitter but still waiting reply.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 12:27 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by wco81
Any word on CX suspending meal service on TPAC flights?
Speaking to a friend who is cabin crew yesterday, he said inflight service continue as normal for TPAC and European flights "for now" he said. He did say that on his recent flight (HKG-DXB) the crew was doing the entire service wearing gloves and masks.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I just cancelled an upcoming CX flight ORD-HKG-TPE_HKG-ORD for this weekend. It pained me to do so, but I opted to avoid the risk of complications and route direct to TPE via YVR on Air Canada.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mikechan
Calling the US 800 number and I’m being told to go online instead and hung up on. Any other way to contact CX? I’ve messaged on twitter but still waiting reply.
Call the main Hong Kong number

+852 2747 3333
Mikechan likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 3:34 pm

Programs: SK*G, QR*G
I see that they have zeroed out inventory on all flights to PVG until March 29th.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 3:46 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by washeelers747
My award booking will occur few days after current CX Asia miles’ refund waiver (Feb 3-14) for flights involved Philippines.

I’m wondering if you think they will extend dates ? Ideally I prefer to cancel my booking & getting miles & tax back without paying $120 refund fee
Not without MPO status.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by pacificboot
Is anyone having trouble getting CX/MP to refund back miles? I cancelled an award ticket to China last week, booking disappeared from Mange My Booking, but then miles haven't gotten back to my account yet and I need the miles to redeem for something else. It usually takes maximum 1-2 days and It has been close to a week and miles aren't refunded.
Normally in the same call you can get them to reuse the refunded miles.

I wonder if you call now, reference the cancelled China PNR, can they let you use the miles from the refund as if one call?
Old Feb 3, 2020, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by SW7London
..."the area in which you are staying is affected by pandemic or epidemic influenza"
Aviva insurance? They might https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN1ZS1CU . Contact Aviva.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.