Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2020, 10:43 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
Originally Posted by brunos
Would be good if everyone was trying to avoid spreading uncontrolled hearsay rumors.
Do you have an official link?
I can see none currently. Of course could change.
https://cnnphilippines.com/news/2020...ong-Macau.html
https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/02/02/...-rise-globally
Old Feb 1, 2020, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by Arbeysix
They will help you. I am booked to MNL and this will now need to change as a result of the Phils Government announcement an hour ago. I will report back but assume pax will be offered the same arrangements as applied to mainland itineraries; ie. rebooking fee waived.
Argh, I’m set to fly LAX-HKG-CEB (AA for LAX-HKG and CX for HKG-CEB) on 3/10, but nothing has been posted to either CX’s or AA’s website.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 10:58 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
Originally Posted by wco81
How about CX flights to and from BKK?
No issue. Thailand’s lettin’ everybody in.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Thanks. And very sad as I had plans to go to Cebu next week.
I guess that any pax on CX flights will have to be filipinos who are willing to be quarantined for 14 days.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 12:02 am

Programs: QF
Thanks. And very sad as I had plans to go to Cebu next week.
I guess that any pax on CX flights will have to be filipinos who are willing to be quarantined for 14 days.
Hopefully they follow Vietnam and revise their knee-jerk reaction of lumping in Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 12:11 am
R2

According to the news article on CNN Philippines (link in post#151), there will also be a ban on Filipinos travelling to China, incl the SARs. If true, this will effectively halt all (air) traffic between Philippines and China.
Subsequently on Sunday mid-morning, Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea announced in a statement from Malacańang that the temporary ban now covers the following:

- The entry of any person, regardless of nationality, except Filipino citizens and foreigners holding permanent resident visas issued by the Philippine government, directly coming from China and its special administrative regions (SARs) Hong Kong and Macau

- The entry of any person, regardless of nationality, except Filipino citizens and holders of permanent resident visa issued by the Philippine government, who within 14 days immediately preceding arrival in the Philippines, has been to China and its SARs

- Temporary ban on Filipinos from travelling to China and its SARs
I'm due to fly MNL-HKG tomorrow morning on PR. It will be interesting to see if the flight is still on and if indeed no Filipino pax are allowed to travel.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by MKBshaw
Hopefully they follow Vietnam and revise their knee-jerk reaction of lumping in Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan.
Hopefully. But they must have thought about it carefully as there is a huge number of filipinos helpers in HK. And they have a quarantine plan for them.
MKBshaw likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 1:27 am

Hopefully. But they must have thought about it carefully as there is a huge number of filipinos helpers in HK. And they have a quarantine plan for them.

This is the Duterte administration. I doubt there was much thought involved
wrp96 and Kacee like this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 1:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Any info on upcoming flight on CX for a friend. US citizen flying JFK-HKG-MNL. Should he ask for rebook via other city? I don't think Cathay allows rebooking at the moment.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 1:55 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by flyingeverywhere1
I don't think Cathay allows rebooking at the moment.
CX allows rebooking at the moment. Change fee is waived but fare/tax difference still applies.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 2:05 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
As I said, most Mainland Chinese people are not allowed to transit in Taiwan (only those holding PR in other countries or originating from a few small airports). This is a rule on the Mainland side. Most people are not aware of it.
Yes, but (not knowing about family ties and the like) I think the risk is traffic "going the other way" (that is, Taiwanese coming back from the Mainland and then going onwards for various reasons).
Old Feb 2, 2020, 2:34 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Yes, but (not knowing about family ties and the like) I think the risk is traffic "going the other way" (that is, Taiwanese coming back from the Mainland and then going onwards for various reasons).
The risk exists but is substantially smaller and does not warrant the current Italian measure. If Italy were to do that, they should have blocked Singapore as well (where there are more confirmed cases and a lower population).
Old Feb 2, 2020, 3:03 am

Programs: CX Gold
Will be transiting HKG to MNL in May. I hope the ban will be lifted by then. Or should I rebook with another airline?
Old Feb 2, 2020, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by boybi
Will be transiting HKG to MNL in May. I hope the ban will be lifted by then. Or should I rebook with another airline?
If the state/spread of the virus is that there is still a travel ban on HKG transit in May, it will probably apply to other transit hubs as well
Old Feb 2, 2020, 4:25 am
R2

A bit OT for this thread but might be useful for someone here (from PR website):
Effective immediately until 29 February 2020, Philippine Airlines will be cancelling all flights between Manila and the following points in greater China: BEIJING, HONG KONG, GUANGZHOU, SHANGHAI, XIAMEN, QUANZHOU (JINJIANG) AND MACAU.

We are constrained to cancel these flights in compliance with the February 2, 2020 directive of the President of the Philippines and the related Order of the Philippine Civil Aeronautics Board, which aim to protect the Philippine public by helping to contain and neutralize the spread of the novel coronavirus.

The directive temporarily bans the entry of any person of any nationality, except Filipino citizens and holders of Permanent Resident Visa issued by the Philippine Government, who come directly from mainland China and its Special Administrative Regions (SARs), or who had been to China and its SARs within 14 days prior to their arrival in the Philippines. The directive likewise bans Filipinos from traveling to mainland China and its SARs, and requires a 14-day home-quarantine for Filipinos and Permanent Resident Visa holders who come from mainland China and its SARs. Our all-Filipino flight and cabin crew members are likewise included in this ban.
I see serious delays on tonite's CX flights HKG-MNL but no cancellations announced so far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.