Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Requesting help booking DTW or YYZ to FCO using Asia Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:34 am
Original Poster

I think I'm getting dumber as I get older . Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone is willing to provide.

My husband and I each have 47k Asia Miles that will expire in July 2020. We are flying to Rome next year and our ideal dates are May 5 to May 18, 2020. Either Detroit or Toronto departures are acceptable. Detroit is considerably closer so probably preferred but happy with either or anywhere else anyone can suggest. I have been combing through articles for days on how to navigate the Asia Miles site, signed up for BA Exec Club acct, searched on AA site and can't seem to figure this out. I see availability on the BA site for those dates on AA metal but it's obviously quoting the amount of Avios I need. How do I find out how many Asia Miles I need and then what's the process to book?

Also if anyone has any other clever routes or suggestions we are up for anything.

Thanks again!
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:01 am

Unfortunately, you can't use the Asia Miles online booking tool to book AA award flights. Your idea of checking the BA site for availability is good, and then you'll need to call Asia Miles to book.

As for checking how many miles it will take, just enter your origin and destination on the Asia Miles booking tool (https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ts/facade.html) and look at the amount needed for any non-CX flight - it'll be the same amount*.

It's not a matter of you being dumb, but rather that CX IT systems are just questionable sometimes.

*I think there's a third category (multi-carrier awards) for award pricing involving more than two non-CX airlines or something, but I've never had to deal with that and don't know the details. In any case, it won't apply here since you seem to be looking for an AA-only flight.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info Cryofern. That's very helpful. I actually don't care who we fly with. Just hoping to use those miles before they expire.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by Cryofern
Unfortunately, you can't use the Asia Miles online booking tool to book AA award flights. Your idea of checking the BA site for availability is good, and then you'll need to call Asia Miles to book.

As for checking how many miles it will take, just enter your origin and destination on the Asia Miles booking tool (https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ts/facade.html) and look at the amount needed for any non-CX flight - it'll be the same amount*.

It's not a matter of you being dumb, but rather that CX IT systems are just questionable sometimes.

*I think there's a third category (multi-carrier awards) for award pricing involving more than two non-CX airlines or something, but I've never had to deal with that and don't know the details. In any case, it won't apply here since you seem to be looking for an AA-only flight.
This is mostly true, however, for different connections, sometimes the total flown distance is different. As a result, the final miles may be different.

Since OP has only 47K miles, it is barely enough for a round trip in Economy. Since flights to Europe in coach are generally cheap and the ticket price consists of mostly fuel surcharges (which you would have to pay booking with Asiamiles), my recommendations are to use the miles somewhere else.

Not exactly a sweet spot, but any flights less than 2750mi within the USA with a stopover at the AA hub would only cost 15k miles. Like DTW-MIA-CLE
Old Aug 14, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Cryofern
That is called the oneworld Multi-Carrier Award Chart and is based on total mileage. You need to have at least 2 non-CX, non-KA oneworld carriers (so probably choose two from AA, BA, IB, and AY), and you can have up to 5 stopovers (which can also be used as transits), 2 transits, and 2 open-jaws. It is based on total mileage. Refer to the bottom of https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-...ard-chart.html and https://www.asiamiles.com/en/terms-a...er-awards.html. At 47k miles, this is not for OP.

By the way, for OP's reference, if you desperately want to use up your miles and don't quite have enough, you can top up at 2000 mi per 60USD if you have at least 70% of the required miles. Check https://www.asiamiles.com/en/account...-up-miles.html for details. Not a good deal, but if you are just shy of a bit, maybe it helps.

AM operates on a one-way basis now, so redeeming a one-way cost just 50% of round-trip. You can also do mix class (like economy + premium economy) and the mileage required will be calculated proportionally.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both for the info.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
A word of caution about DTW.

I do 2-3 round-trips to HKG every year, and live near DTW. All redemption flights, usually from ORD to HKG. Never once have I been able to find any partner availability from DTW to ORD, or ORD back to DTW. AA flies roundtrip between DTW and ORD almost hourly, but every time I've tried to add that leg there is nothing available. It's not that I can't find a convenient flight... it's that there NO availability. Ever. Could just be bad luck. Could be that I'm flying J, which would be translate to F for domestic flights, and AA just never has any F award availability. But you'd think I'd be able to land AT LEAST ONE seat one of the times over the past 10 years.

I only mention this so that you are prepared for disappointment if you are hoping for DTW.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang

I do 2-3 round-trips to HKG every year, and live near DTW. All redemption flights, usually from ORD to HKG. Never once have I been able to find any partner availability from DTW to ORD, or ORD back to DTW. AA flies roundtrip between DTW and ORD almost hourly, but every time I've tried to add that leg there is nothing available. It's not that I can't find a convenient flight... it's that there NO availability. Ever. Could just be bad luck. Could be that I'm flying J, which would be translate to F for domestic flights, and AA just never has any F award availability. But you'd think I'd be able to land AT LEAST ONE seat one of the times over the past 10 years.

I only mention this so that you are prepared for disappointment if you are hoping for DTW.
Thank you. Its interesting. No word of a lie I have missed my connection at ORD every time Ive flown through there on my way to the west coast. Granted its been with United but regardless, I avoid it like the plague.

In all honesty we just really wanted to use the Asia miles before expiry and I thought even if we could use the combined amount to get one person to Rome (because were going anyway) or two one ways or something, it would be good. I was more hoping someone would say, heres whats available on those dates and heres how you book it. Hahaha. I find the whole Asia Miles thing completely confusing.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang

For economy redemption, doesn't seem like it would be a problem for OP booking far ahead:

Code:
15MAYDTWORD-T.AA                                             
 05MAY  TUE   DTW/EDT     ORD/CDT-1                            
 1AA/** 3004 T1    DTWORD 5   1204 1217 CR7 0 DCA /E           
 2AA/** 2998 T7    DTWORD 9   1059 1112 CR7 0 DCA /E           
 3AA/** 3093 T1    DTWORD 8   0845 0858 CR7 0 DCA /E           
 4AA/** 3076 TC    DTWORD 4   1551 1604 CR7 0 DCA /E           
 5AA/** 2981 T6    DTWORD 8   0600 0613 CR7 0 X6 DCA /E        
 6AA/** 3101 TC    DTWORD 3   1812 1825 CR7 0 X67 DCA /E       
 7AA/** 3059 T7    DTWORD 4   2030 2043 CR7 0 X6 DCA /E        
NO MORE AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.