FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Requesting help booking DTW or YYZ to FCO using Asia Miles
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:39 am
shd9

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by Cryofern
Unfortunately, you can't use the Asia Miles online booking tool to book AA award flights. Your idea of checking the BA site for availability is good, and then you'll need to call Asia Miles to book.

As for checking how many miles it will take, just enter your origin and destination on the Asia Miles booking tool (https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ts/facade.html) and look at the amount needed for any non-CX flight - it'll be the same amount*.

It's not a matter of you being dumb, but rather that CX IT systems are just questionable sometimes.

*I think there's a third category (multi-carrier awards) for award pricing involving more than two non-CX airlines or something, but I've never had to deal with that and don't know the details. In any case, it won't apply here since you seem to be looking for an AA-only flight.
This is mostly true, however, for different connections, sometimes the total flown distance is different. As a result, the final miles may be different.

Since OP has only 47K miles, it is barely enough for a round trip in Economy. Since flights to Europe in coach are generally cheap and the ticket price consists of mostly fuel surcharges (which you would have to pay booking with Asiamiles), my recommendations are to use the miles somewhere else.

Not exactly a sweet spot, but any flights less than 2750mi within the USA with a stopover at the AA hub would only cost 15k miles. Like DTW-MIA-CLE